Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can I See Meals/portion Sizes Please?

Liquids and purée for the first two weeks. After that I started eating mashed foods and a little chicken. You'll know when you had enough go over the limit and you will throw up. It happened to me today. But it's well worth it.

Wow can't believe you feel that way. I was trying to get my calories to about a 1000 and winded up throwing up after I fail behind in the earlier part of the day and try to make up for it in the evening. I will not make that mistake again. I worry for you that if it seems worth it to throw up so you can over eat this will become a reoccurring thing.

Liquids and purée for the first two weeks. After that I started eating mashed foods and a little chicken. You'll know when you had enough go over the limit and you will throw up. It happened to me today. But it's well worth it.

I haven't vomited once due to over-eating since I had my sleeve done 15 months ago...when I felt full, I stopped eating. If you listen to your body, you shouldn't be vomiting.

Sleeved Nov. 6th 2012

Been using these 6oz toddler bowls as my normal plates, work great for visual referance.

Pic is of my half eaten dinner...

My normal Breakfast is 1 scrambled egg w/ 1 slice of turkey bacon.

Normal lunch is a heathy choice meal, (those are usually 9-10.5 oz, normally cant finish them all)

dinner varies...

post-31743-13813661982306_thumb.jpg

I am interested in seeing portions for people 1 year or more out. My biggest concern is eating like a toddler for life. I want to resume a normal, not noticeabley bariatric life.

I can't tell u exactly what my meal portions are.,, I'm almost 7 months out and my diet still confuses me.... there are certain types of food I can eat easily, and with no restriction (u can guess of course :) ) like chips or Snacks, but when it comes to real meals, my portion is very limited... I can't tolerate chicken anymore, or fish... maybe half a plate of steamed vegetables with 2 spoons of ground beef will do...Sometimes for breakfast when I'm really hungry I make an omelet with a bit of olive oil, using 2 eggs, and a piece of cheddar cheese.. very filling.. I also love Special K Cereal with skimmed milk...I have a small bowl and I drink the leftover milk.... I went to a cousin's wedding which had an open buffet... I actually went around the very large buffet 3 times wondering what to put in my plate... passed chicken, meat, lamb & fish, also passed the Pasta, rice cause I don't like them anymore... I finally settled near the shrimp plate, took 5 medium sized ones, 2 spoonfuls of a weird salad that had grated cheese & salami... that was it.. i tried eating a piece of cheese cake after that, but one bite was enough :).. SO my advice is, don't measure your food, you can eye it, and in the end, you're still at the beginning, so you have to experiment, see what can sit in & what can't.. and don't be afraid to binge once in a while... in our position, binging is a way of our body telling us it needs food... so don't feel guilty... I don't... when I crave chocolate, I don't feel guilty having some, because I don't put any sugar in my drinks anymore... when I crave chips or Doritos, I don't feel guilty, cause I don't eat rice or pasta anymore.... SO cheers :D

I am interested in seeing portions for people 1 year or more out. My biggest concern is eating like a toddler for life. I want to resume a normal' date=' not noticeabley bariatric life.[/quote']

I'm over a year out now. Someone else gave a good example...one healthy choice meal. Perfect example right there. Just the meal, maybe 3/4 of it. Not wanting 2 meals plus a Peanut Butter sandwich and a 20oz. Dr. Coke. This is the tool that keeps me from eating like that now, and if it seems like a toddler portion, so be it. I eat off of kids sized plates at home and order off the childs menus at restaurants. I don't even think about how much I eat now or my serving sizes. I put more effort into making sure what I eat is something I really want and is going to make me happy I ate it. You have to have a different mind set after your surgery, if you don't you can still fail. You can't eat very much, but you can still eat cake and Cookies all day. Its your choice to choose the better choices. I still love food. I just don't love it by buckets and gallons anymore!!

Wow can't believe you feel that way. I was trying to get my calories to about a 1000 and winded up throwing up after I fail behind in the earlier part of the day and try to make up for it in the evening. I will not make that mistake again. I worry for you that if it seems worth it to throw up so you can over eat this will become a reoccurring thing.

I think this poster meant that the surgery was well worth it, not the eating too much and throwing up....i think. But this is a perfect example of how people read things differently. :-)

I also tried the 'catching up.' Man, that so doesn't work, does it? Which is a good thing for me because I used to not eat all day & gorge at night. Can't do that anymore!

Im only 6wks out but use the 4oz kid containers. Sometimes i can eat it all but it depends on the food. I still weigh my chicken and beef. 2oz is more than enough and I struggle to get anything else down those meals. I've never felt nausea with meals but had nausea and vomiting with my Vitamins. NEVER want to go through that again.

hugs,<br />alma

I find these posts quite interesting. I know that I am in maintenance right now and I eat what I want, I will gain weight. So I pretty much measure things still, still eat off a dessert plate and eat Protein and veggies. I miss the times when I could eat hardly anything and be so full. Now I can eat a lot more and am mourning the loss of those times. I know that I'm afraid of gaining my weight back so I know that I have to be careful how much I eat and what I eat. Oh and get more exercise. This is still hard work now at 15 months post opt. So please don't fool yourself and stay focused on high Proteins and veggies with a few bites of fruits for the good carbs..... :) Lots of luck to you all......

I haven't vomited once due to over-eating since I had my sleeve done 15 months ago...when I felt full, I stopped eating. If you listen to your body, you shouldn't be vomiting.

I can only speak from my own experience but I haven't thrown up either in 14 weeks. I don't really eat that slowly, but I am aware of how much I'm eating. I don't measure anything. I just pay attention to how the food feels. I have only felt like I ate too much a few times. Sometimes I can eat more than other times, but usually its a very few bites and then its over. This has been an adjustment because even when something is tasting especially delicious, I can't have much of it at all.

Hotel breakfast and how much I ate. The yogurt is a mini one. It was not low fat and had 110 calories, so I ate 3/4ths of it. I only ate a piece of the top of a mini muffin and two bites of the egg.

breakfast3.5

This thread is honestly scaring me a little bit. Now I'm use to nor being able to eat alot of anything and now that I'm almost 6mths out and it feels as If my restriction has lifted just a tad bit. .I'm so nervous about gaining weight back. I don't want to gain not one pound of the weight I have lost so far! ! idk i just feel like I can eat more now. I tried to eat a yogurt for lunch today like I normally do and I want really satisfied. I think it was more mentally not satisfied tho. At least I hope it's was lol but I was able to finish the entire yogurt 6oz. Smh ugh I want my tiny sleeve back! !!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using VST

This thread is honestly scaring me a little bit. Now I'm use to nor being able to eat alot of anything and now that I'm almost 6mths out and it feels as If my restriction has lifted just a tad bit. .I'm so nervous about gaining weight back. I don't want to gain not one pound of the weight I have lost so far! ! idk i just feel like I can eat more now. I tried to eat a yogurt for lunch today like I normally do and I want really satisfied. I think it was more mentally not satisfied tho. At least I hope it's was lol but I was able to finish the entire yogurt 6oz. Smh ugh I want my tiny sleeve back! !!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using VST

Track your calories.

Gettinmeback, you'll be fine, as long as you stay vigilant! Yogurt is going to go down easier, because it's not exactly a solid, and there is no Fiber in it. Try to add an ounce of granola, and it will make a big difference.

I can easily put in 5 oz, sometimes 6, but I stay conscious and continue to weigh my meals. I still track everything. The difference between now and before the sleeve, is that now you are aware of your eating and you are in control! You have the ability to control what goes into your mouth, and how much of it. The sleeve will help you, as long as you work with it. :)

This thread is kind of old now, but I didn't see many replies from "oldsters", so I thought I'd give you some examples of my portion sizes at 2 1/2 years out.

First, let me say, I don't follow the rules very well. Slider junk food goes down REALLY well, so I try to stay away from chips and such. meat is still hard for me to eat-- I can eat maybe a 1"x 1.5-2" chunk of any given meat and I'll have to wait 10-15 minutes before I have any veg. I usually have a serving spoon of whatever veg I've made. I use a 5" plate so I don't serve myself more than I can eat.

For lunch today, I had an egg sandwich on two baguette rounds. If I don't have any baguette, I just use one slice of bread. I couldn't eat two, even without any filling.

If I have McD's, I can eat most of a hash brown and 1/2 a sausage egg macmuffin over maybe 30 minutes or so, or maybe ten fries and half a chicken sandwich, but that takes an hour or more. I haven't been able to eat hamburgers since my surgery. I still try periodically, if I'm really craving one, but half a regular cheeseburger has me straight in the bathroom. Some lessons take longer to learn than others...

I still can't get anywhere near my target liquids in. I generally need 90 minutes or so after eating before I can drink comfortably, so I try not to eat anything too salty or dry.

Basically, my restriction is fine at this point, but I have to constantly work to make the right choices. These days, I've been having too many Starbucks drinks and too few Protein shakes and, as a result, have about 5kg I'd like to lose, but my BMI is still in the middle of the healthy range. Regardless of how bad my intentions are at times, my sleeve keeps me pretty well in line.