Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Long Time Sleevers Out There?

I'm having a hard time finding people that aren't freshly sleeved. Thought I find the information from them useful, and I can offer done advise, I'd like to see some more from those who have had the surgery a while ago. I'm three years post op. Anyone out there? How are you doing? Are you at goal? I'm not..... Want to lose 40 more pounds!

I've asked the same thing a few times and haven't had anyone speak up. It may be they just moved on. I did that when I got my lapband. After a year I didn't find any reason to continue the forum because I was fine on my own.

Hope some one comes around and helps us.

I guess this is a good point for us to take and make sure we are around in a few years for others. :)

I am a year and a half out and I pop in occassionally. I need to take breaks from the site, though. It is tough. There is a lot of baggage we bring into the forums with our personal struggles with food, relationships and all that. There are a lot of people who ask for advice, and then when I give it to them, if it isn't what they want to hear, I get flammed. I'm an insensitive know-it-all and I should be supporting everyone on the board.

Sorry, that is just not how I operate. If you ask what you can eat at Dairy Queen 3 days post op, you're going to get an earful from me. Don't ask to validate doing things you KNOW are not within the guidelines.

I'm not perfect, but I am at goal, feel and look great, according to my wife and friends, though I do think I look a lot better than I did pre-op. So, I know what worked for me and I try to share that experience.

But, I do get tired of getting flammed for being honest when reading posts like, (summary) "I'm 6 months post op, not exercising, not eating the best foods and not losing weight. WTH?"

I know a lot of the other veterans get the same thing so they drop off. Those with thicker skin are able to stay on and I find them admirable. They are better people than I.

So there you are PdxMan! I'm only 4 months post op but I always loved your advice. I saw some of the flammings and just smacked my forehead. I'm glad you pop in sometimes. Your perspective and common sense have value to us newbies. Since your surgery was one year and one day before mine, maybe I'll just check out your blog for some insight.

To the O.P. Don't they say that the majority will lose between 60-70% of the weight they need to lose? Wow, I think that you have done that, congratulations!!

I am a year and a half out and I pop in occassionally. I need to take breaks from the site' date=' though. It is tough. There is a lot of baggage we bring into the forums with our personal struggles with food, relationships and all that. There are a lot of people who ask for advice, and then when I give it to them, if it isn't what they want to hear, I get flammed. I'm an insensitive know-it-all and I should be supporting everyone on the board.

Sorry, that is just not how I operate. If you ask what you can eat at Dairy Queen 3 days post op, you're going to get an earful from me. Don't ask to validate doing things you KNOW are not within the guidelines.

I'm not perfect, but I am at goal, feel and look great, according to my wife and friends, though I do think I look a lot better than I did pre-op. So, I know what worked for me and I try to share that experience.

But, I do get tired of getting flammed for being honest when reading posts like, (summary) "I'm 6 months post op, not exercising, not eating the best foods and not losing weight. WTH?"

I know a lot of the other veterans get the same thing so they drop off. Those with thicker skin are able to stay on and I find them admirable. They are better people than I.[/quote']

Haven't seen you for a while. Everything you said, I concur. People fresh off the operating table seem to know it all. Not everybody, but just enough to leave a bad taste in your mouth. I suppose I was that way too. Now I realize how much I didn't know. I wonder how much more I'll know 6 months from now.

I am a year and a half out and I pop in occassionally. I need to take breaks from the site, though. It is tough. There is a lot of baggage we bring into the forums with our personal struggles with food, relationships and all that. There are a lot of people who ask for advice, and then when I give it to them, if it isn't what they want to hear, I get flammed. I'm an insensitive know-it-all and I should be supporting everyone on the board.

I know a lot of the other veterans get the same thing so they drop off. Those with thicker skin are able to stay on and I find them admirable. They are better people than I.

Sorry to get off topic here but I couldn't agree more with you, with everything you have said. Thanks for posting and dropping in again. :-)

I'm having a hard time finding people that aren't freshly sleeved. Thought I find the information from them useful, and I can offer done advise, I'd like to see some more from those who have had the surgery a while ago. I'm three years post op. Anyone out there? How are you doing? Are you at goal? I'm not..... Want to lose 40 more pounds!

I've been curious about the same thing. Having a hard time finding many long-term stories, or long-term data online about how VSG is working for folks who are say, 3+ years out (a.k.a long after the 'honeymoon is over') I've read plenty of stories about folks who've had the RNY...folks who are even 10 years out. But I almost think because the VSG (as it's known today) is a fairly 'new' procedure, it's just harder to find the same kind of information/stories. Here's hoping! Congratulations on your own weight loss! Sounds like a wonderful success to me! :)

I'm 23 months post-op and have been at goal or below since month 11. I, too, got trashed by a newbie for offering what I thought was helpful advice so I don't post much anymore.

I eat whatever I like but in tiny portions and Protein first. Yesterday, I had turkey and stuffing and mashed potatoes and gravy and pie, but only about 1 cup total of food and I was satisfied. I changed my eating habits in the losing phase and don't eat many white carbs on a daily basis but have them on special occasions. I don't exercise a lot, but I walk at least 3 miles daily and do some pushups and situps during TV commercials in the evening. My labs are terrific and my cholesterol, triglycerides, and LDL are all low now. I am so much healthier (and happier) than 2 years ago.

Really, long-term maintenance involves weighing myself every day and making good food choices. It hasn't been difficult for me although I know it is for some people.

I am three and one-half years out and continue to love my sleeve. I lost well over one hundred pounds and was nearly at goal. Unfortunately, about a year ago I went through a rough time with some personal family issues. At about the same time, my back issues started. I got depressed and turned to my old slider friend foods, anything salty and crunchy. I gained about thirty pounds back between the junk food and inability to move much due to my back. Fortunately, the family issues have been resolved and my sleeve is still there for me. I am still struggling with my back, but I have returned to good eating habits, eating Protein first which fills me up very quickly and am back to losing again.

As long as you continue to follow the rules of Protein first, and stay away from junk except for the occasional treat, your sleeve will continue to be your best tool in losing and maintaining weight loss.

Im out 3+ years as well and haven't reached my own personal goal of 170 lbs. but have reached the doctor's goal of 212 lbs. and surpassed it by 12 lbs. I lost 150 lbs the first year and have been maintaining well without any problems. I haven't had any serious medical problems and am glad about that. . .