Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cashew Nuts And Almonds - To Eat Or Not To Eat

Hi

I'm in the 5th week post op and can't tolerate well a lot of food.. but I can eat roasted cashew nuts, almonds and pistachios without any problem.. I do eat chicken, shrimp and turkey and other food, but it feels so heavy on my stomach still, yet I can eat half a cup of nuts and feel good

I'm worried about the calories and fat content though..

What do you recommend ? and what was your experience ?

Thanks - I'm feeling guilty right now and not sure I should keep eating those

Hi there!!

I am new on here and only about two weeks post op but i think i might have info for you to help you with this problem, Nuts are good for you

Eating nuts may reduce the risk of coronary heart disease. Most nuts including walnuts, cashew nuts, pecans, brazil nuts, chestnuts and hazelnuts contain mainly mono-unsaturated fats, polyunsaturated fats and other compounds that influence blood cholesterol levels.

But you have to follow a strategy in order not to turn the good in the nuts against you, and if you feel like you overdid it on the nuts, try to reduce the calories later in the day. NOTE: dont eat out of the bag, have a small cup or a small handfull and then hide the bag for later. CHEW VERY WELL AND THROUGHLY!!!

Another thing about nuts is that unsalted nuts are healthier than those that have salt, so make sure you buy unsalted nuts.

Salt does not cause your body to gain or lose fat. In fact, salt has no calories. High consumption of salt only results in temporary weight gain as it causes your body to retain Water. Conversely, low consumption of salt can result in temporary weight loss as it causes your body to expel Water.< /span>

I hope i was a bit helpful with easing your worries, and good luck on your weight loss journey!! ^_^

If you are going to eat nuts make sure you measure and not just grab a handful. They are very good for you but loaded with calories. You don't want to go over your daily calories because you eyeballed it.

If you are going to eat nuts make sure you measure and not just grab a handful. They are very good for you but loaded with calories. You don't want to go over your daily calories because you eyeballed it.

100% true. 1 oz of almonds is great.

But I can easily nibble on 3 oz slowly over an hour, and that's a lot of calories.

I take 1 oz in a snack-size baggie to work and that's it. If you don't have a scale, 1 oz is one light handful.

I would rather eat dirt than eat unsalted peanuts! LOL

I love me some Planters peanuts, but can't justify the calories right now. When you're only eating 650-700 calories a day, packing almost a third of that into a handful of nuts doesn't work. They're just not high enough in Protein to be worth it.

Thanks for all the answers and suggestions ladies.. :)

so a very small portion well measured could be justified from time to time.. calories should be carefully counted..

I just love nuts and they slide very well..

Mrs Saso how are you feeling at the moment? in which stage are you and what can you eat?

Thanks for all the answers and suggestions ladies.. :)

so a very small portion well measured could be justified from time to time.. calories should be carefully counted..

I just love nuts and they slide very well..

Mrs Saso how are you feeling at the moment? in which stage are you and what can you eat?

HI there,

I am feeling much better just cant eat enough still, am two weeks post op and i can only eat up to 200 calories a day! hope things get easier with time... how are you doing?

Hi

I'm in the 5th week post op and can't tolerate well a lot of food.. but I can eat roasted cashew nuts' date=' almonds and pistachios without any problem.. I do eat chicken, shrimp and turkey and other food, but it feels so heavy on my stomach still, yet I can eat half a cup of nuts and feel good

I'm worried about the calories and fat content though..

What do you recommend ? and what was your experience ?

Thanks - I'm feeling guilty right now and not sure I should keep eating those[/quote']

Wow, I really miss almonds... I am also five weeks post op and my doc does not allow nuts at all until six months... I would love to have 3-4 almonds...

Strangefruit really?

weird I really can handle nuts and almonds so easily.. from week 4 even..

hey Mrs Saso..

I had a terrible first two weeks really.. am now 5 weeks post op - really feeling much much better and can eat most things

Really hang in there and you will get better soon