Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cheating? Already?!

I had my surgery on 11/14 and I have the week off work while in recovery mode. Not sure if it's just boredom or the fact that it seems my husband has cooked nothing but bacon, waffles, and steak since I've been home, but I'm already so tempted to cheat.I even cooked a 1/2oz of steak today, and chewed it, then spit it out, just to get the taste of something that's not Protein Shake. Did anyone else have the same issues? And if so, how did you cope with them?

I was to scared to eat anything off plan for fear of getting a leak and dying, that is how I coped.

I know its hard but just think if you eat something you shouldn't and something bad happens you will so regret it. That was always in the back of my mind.

I went and got some wonton Soup strained it and drank the broth. It was good. I got an eggroll took a bite just to taste it and spit it out. It tasted good but it wasnt greatness lol. im so tired of Protein Shakes trying to change them up.

I had my surgery on 11/14 and I have the week off work while in recovery mode. Not sure if it's just boredom or the fact that it seems my husband has cooked nothing but bacon' date=' waffles, and steak since I've been home, but I'm already so tempted to cheat.I even cooked a 1/2oz of steak today, and chewed it, then spit it out, just to get the taste of something that's not Protein shake. Did anyone else have the same issues? And if so, how did you cope with them?[/quote']

You're in the toughest stage right now. My husband was off of work to take care of me for two weeks and cooked for himself every night. I know it doesn't seem like it, but it does get easier. There is a big adjustment mentally Post op that you just can't prepare for. Many of us have gone through the 'sit and spit' stage just to taste food and chew. My third day out all I could think of was how badly I wanted to lick a cool ranch Dorito. :D

What you're going through is totally normal. Don't worry, it gets easier!! Good luck!!

Thanks guys, yeah, I keep seeing food and wanting it, but at the same time, I keep forgetting to drink my actual Protein shakes, which at least lets me know that most of the hunger I'm feeling is in my head.

Saw on another board that someone suggested doing milk, unflavoured greek yogurt, and some mio for flavour in place of a Protein shake, and I'm definitely trying that tonight. The slimy fake sweet of every shake I've tried just kills me.

My advice is to be strong and have courage. I know this is hard. Believe me. There are literally 1000s of other people to surround you and encourage you. Know that you are not alone and know that strength comes in numbers.also know that it get easier as each day goes by. Easier from a temptation perspective, a pain perspective a "feel good" perspective and so on. Know that you can do this because we are all doing this together and are strong together.

I did the wonton Soup thing ..strained it..and it was yummy..I took a bite to spit it out and accidently swallowed part if the noodle..if that would have been steak..I might have given myself a leak..I would suggest getting creative..you can do it!

I had surgery the same day as you so I can relate ad know its rough. My problem has been Soups haven't filled me so I've actually been hungry. I got creative and made my own chicken and bean curry Soup today and puréed it and it filled me more then anything else I've eaten recently. It's rough. I ordered egg drop soup last night and it came with noodles and I SO badly wanted to have 1 or 2 but the fear of putting something in my body that could hurt or kill me beat the craving. I know it's rough. Hang in there- hugs!

It gets better soon! I know it is hard but do your best and dont cheat! Keep telling yourself that it will get better soon! I promise!!!!!!

You can do this!

The full liquids stage was actually the time I was tempted to cheat the most. The food is so bland and awful. Once you get to pureed it will be much easier for you to stick to the plan because you have some better options.

Stay strong for now, you're letting your stomach heal and you're maximizing your initial weight loss.

Someone on here says that "Nothing tastes as good as thin feels" and they're right!!!

I have been right there too. Campbell's Green Pea Soup helped a lot. It is high in Protein and has a little bit of substance. Baby foods also helped. The puréed Beans, sweet potatoes, carrots, turkey, apple with oatmeal, all added some variety. Just don't have any expectations of baby food as an adequate source of protein.

Exactly as twooley said. Everything is better and easier after the strictly liquid stage. I thought I would lose my mind. Fortunately it goes by quickly.

My surgery was the 12th and tonight i took a bite of turkey meatloaf. I seem fine but you guys are scaring me. Im not supposed to have meat for another week. I had to do 10 day all liquid preop and i just couldnt take it anymore. Anyone else cheated and not had a problem?

I had a leak and spent 17 extra days in the hospital with no food or liquids entering my stomach. I didn't cheat to cause the leak but I just need to say that the experience was not fun so resist the urge! Once my leak was healing and I was eating food again, I too just wanted to chew food to suck out the flavor, but it wasn't worth the damage it could have done to my healing stomach. Be strong. Be smart. You'll make it through.