Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Overeating... Then What?

Got this from an email list I am on. Thought is was great before the holidays to read. Peace!

What to Do When You Overdo It

You hear a lot about preventing overeating during the holidays - but what do you do when you’ve overeaten anyway?

Everybody overeats at times; that’s normal. The difference is that for some, an episode of overeating sets off a chain reaction: “I already blew it; I might as well keep eating and restart my diet tomorrow (or on January 1st). That's your eat-repent-repeat cycle.

People who don’t struggle with food overeat occasionally too. The difference is that although they may feel regretful, they don’t feel guilty and they don’t punish themselves. They just feel uncomfortable so they may skip their next snack, postpone their next meal, feel like eating less, and/or want to take a walk. They aren’t punishing themselves; they’re just listening to their body wisdom so they naturally compensate for occasional overeating. Mindful eating can help you return to this natural state too.

How Mindfulness Helps

Mindfulness is simply awareness of the present moment. Mindful eating allows you to focus on the immediate effects of eating more than you needed, rather than beating yourself up over the potential long term consequences. That allows you to make adjustments and learn from the experience. Here’s how:

Notice how you feel. Sit quietly for a few moments and become completely aware of your body. Focus on the sensations so you’ll remember them the next time you’re tempted to overeat. Does your stomach feel full, stretched, or bloated? Is there any discomfort or pain? Do your clothes feel tight? Is there any nausea or heart burn? Do you feel short of breath? How is your energy level? Do you feel sleepy, sluggish, tired, or lethargic? You may be less likely to repeat the mistake if you remind yourself how it feels to overeat (kind of takes the fun out of it, doesn’t it!).

Don’t feel beat yourself up. Overeating is simply eating more than your body needs at that time. Overeating doesn’t mean you were “bad.” It just means that you made a mistake—so don’t miss the lesson!

Turn your mistake into a learning experience. There are a lot of reasons people eat past the point of satisfaction: habits, learned behaviors, past dieting, and mindless eating. Ask yourself, “Why did it happen?” and “What could I do differently next time?” Here's just one example of how to do this from chapter 7 of Eat What You Love, Love What You Eat: How to Break Your Eat-Repent-Repeat Cycle:

“It was a special occasion.” You’re more likely to overeat if you only give yourself permission to eat enjoyable foods on special occasions. You don't need an excuse to have a wonderful meal—so why use a special occasion as an excuse to overeat?

Wait to see when you feel physically hungry again. Rather than continuing to eat by the clock or because you feel like you’ve already blown it, listen to your body. You may not be hungry for your usual snack or even your next meal.

When you get hungry again, notice what you feel like eating. You might notice that you’re hungry for something small or something light—maybe a bowl of Soup or Cereal, a piece of fruit, or a salad. Gradually learn to trust and respect what your body tells you; as you become more mindful, you’ll naturally seek balance, variety, and moderation.

Last, don’t use exercise to punish yourself for overeating. Instead, be physically active consistently and use the fuel you consume to live a full and satisfying life.

Eat Mindfully, Live Vibrantly!

Michelle May, M.D.

To decrease overeating, before you overfill your "balloon," pause and take a deep breath. Ask yourself, "Is it really worth feeling like I'm going to pop or would I rather feel good when I'm done eating?"

Michelle May, M.D.

www.AmIHungry.com

Just came across your post as I was searching for others practicing mindful eating. I just started working on this with the help of some free guided meditations you can download at: http://www.mindfulnessdiet.com/

I've made it about half way through the lessons and it sounds a lot like what you described. The audio lessons are free from this guy. Maybe others will want to take advantage of this.

Just came across your post as I was searching for others practicing mindful eating. I just started working on this with the help of some free guided meditations you can download at: http://www.mindfulnessdiet.com/

I've made it about half way through the lessons and it sounds a lot like what you described. The audio lessons are free from this guy. Maybe others will want to take advantage of this.

This is what works for me. I weigh every morning, being up a pound or two is normal, no reason to be depressed....and I log my food and also weigh and measure. It's my new normal, my new life. I think doing these things keep me on top of things and make me mindful of everything I put into my mouth. Not to mention, for me anyway, I don't overeat and feel 'stuffed' like before, I feel miserable, like I want to stretch out, lay down or worse. It is a whole different ballgame!!!