Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can I Ever Have A Diet Soda Again?

I am soooooo wanting a diet pepsi. Can I ever drink one again. I am three weeks out. Please someone tell me its okay.

I had issues with it 3 months out. I just wanted to know if i could handle it and I couldn't. I felt like I had so much air in my chest and I just took a really small sip. You should probably wait a while.

My understanding of drinking soda be it diet or regular is the carbonation is NOT good for the sleeve, it causes it to expand and can stretch it out if it is a routine drink. Also on newly sleeved it causes tummy troubles from all the bubbles in the carbonation. I have not had had my surgery yet but I feel ya, I have recently quit drinking my crack..... oh I mean Diet Pepsi and I want one on a hourly basis but I'm quitting now so hopefully I will be over my addiction to my Diet Pepsi before surgery. I wish you the best of luck in your journey :}

As far as I know they answer is no. But I do know someone 5 years out from being sleeved and she drinks diet sodas. But I would be careful.

I am almost 8 months out ad have had a sip here and there. I went on vacation when I was 5 months out and was gonna drink a diet pepsi while the kids were roasting marshmallow for smores, had about 2 sips and then dumped it, it was soo gross and I was a HUGE pepsi/diet pepsi fan.

I'm two months out and have drank diet coke. I was so addicted before surgery and couldn't wait to have it again. You can drink it but its not enjoyable anymore, every sip I take fills be with air and I have to burp. I have found that putting it in a cup with ice is way less fizz than drinking out of the can. Stay away from it as long as you can.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

1/2 of the people on here believe it will expand your tummy and the other 1/2 think that is a crock. Do a quick search and you will see this topic comes up often and there is always a debate about it. You need to decide what you believe. I do have a diet coke once a week or so. For some the carbonation makes they feel uncomfortable ... For me it works and doesnt send me into an eating frenzy. Good luck!

I have just finished my six month supervised diet and got rid of my diet coke addiction. I gradually reduced how much I was drinking and haven't had one for over a month. It has been easier than I thought it would be although there are times when I have a hard time resisting. I was told by my nutritionist no more diet coke for me. Besides the stretching and the bubbles it would be very hard to get your Water in if you continue to drink diet pop. For me it is easier to give it up than to drink it occasionally with out starting to let it take over again as my drink of choice.

I was told it should be a no no because of the carbonation. However, they did say I could drink in flat. But, yuck!!!! I like the fizz just as much as the caffeine. SO....I am gonna just have to leave it alone all together....grrrr!!!!

My dietician said never again because the carbonation can stretch your stomach.

Thanks everyone. Even though I am not very happy with the answers.. I will try my best. But it has been the only thing I'm having a hard time with.

It does get easier!

It does get easier!

Just let it get flat

I'm 5 months out and have only had a small sip here and there. But of regular soda. I won't drink diet, not b/c of the carbonation but b/c of what's in it. I stopped all soda 4 1/2 yrs ago, even before my band surgery. It just doesn't hold any appeal for me anymore.