Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello All,

This is my first day after surgery and I have a lot of gas and I'm hungry! For some reason I am hungry and so far no matter how much Water, Isopure, and broth I drink. Most of the people who were in my classes with me and have already had their surgery are not hungry. It figures that I'm so fat that even after surgery I'm still hungry. I thought I wouldn't get hungry, or at least not as much. It's constant or maybe I'm confusing it with some sort of weird pain I'm mistaking for hunger. I feel like I could eat normally, though I wouldn't dare try it! Is this normal and if so for how long? How long will I be in pain? Please help...

Hi Tiffany, take a deep breath and let go. Okay, everyone is different and just because you feel hunger does not mean there's anything wrong with you inherently. Give yourself a break, you've not eaten for days so it stands to reason that you are experiencing this right now. I remember having hunger at about a week out that I couldn't seem to satisfy. This will fluctuate. If I had to call it I would say that first month is a really rough recovery time. You will be eating as soon as you feel you can't stand it any more. It's only a few weeks away, once you go on mushies you will feel very satisfied. If I could suggest increasing your fluids and sipping on something very often. You may be feeling hunger which is actually thirst. You may also be feeling what has been termed "head hunger", a very strange phenomenon which occurs with those of us who have been sleeved. Remember, appetite occurs in the brain. Your brain is also adjusting. Try to drink fluids and keep your mind off of food if you can. Just keep walking, keep breathing, keep sipping and try to have a few laughs. You have come this far and you will be so happy very soon. I am four months out and have no regrets. I eat whatever I want (it's just so nice to be so easily satisfied). I feel normal all the time. I had a rough recovery too and I totally understand. You will be fine. Everything will be ok, just keep to your post op and nourish yourself body and mind. Best Wishes.

Thank you so much for the inspiring and encouraging words. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to respond to me. I am sipping alternately between Water, broth, and Isopure. Maybe I am thirsty and I didn't even think of my brain going through it too. Congrats on your 42 lbs lost! Ok, breathe, walk, and sip, got it. I will keep that replaying in my head. Thanks again!

It might just be acid making you feel hungry. Don't panic it's very early days x

Yes, I did hear my Dr. say that after surgery you could feel hungary because of gas of all things. He suggests gas X strips.

I'm a week out and have been hungry more than not. I know it's not head hunger, as I had a band for 2+ years, and I know what it's like to not be hungry.

Rest assured, I've been told over and over again that for many of us, it'll take a month until our bodies regulate. Yes, that month will suck, but then it'll be much better! I've been promised, and I'm holding those folks to their promises!

I just started purees today, and so far, still hungry, but I will let you know how it goes.

Hang in there!

I'm hungry too! But I'm a lot further out than you. :)

In the first few days, I was extremely thirsty because drinking sent my little sleeve into spasms. It was all I could do to eat some Protein pudding or some Soup every day. And I slept all day for a whole week, but everyone is different!

Best wishes on your journey.

Yes, I did hear my Dr. say that after surgery you could feel hungary because of gas of all things. He suggests gas X strips.

Thank you for the advice, I couldn't find the strips, only chewables so I got those. :(

I'm hungry too! But I'm a lot further out than you. :)

In the first few days, I was extremely thirsty because drinking sent my little sleeve into spasms. It was all I could do to eat some Protein pudding or some Soup every day. And I slept all day for a whole week, but everyone is different!

Best wishes on your journey.

Congrats!!! Your almost at your goal, you must feel awesome and very proud of yourself. What kind of soup were you able to eat. I just tried the broth from a variety of canned Soups to at least get the flavor but I didn't like them. I get spasms too, out of nowhere...

Congrats!!! Your almost at your goal, you must feel awesome and very proud of yourself. What kind of Soup were you able to eat. I just tried the broth from a variety of canned Soups to at least get the flavor but I didn't like them. I get spasms too, out of nowhere...

I liked butternut squash soup at first. It was made by a company called Pacific- something. It's very smooth and flavorful. I also mixed Protein into V8 and pudding. The spasms went away quickly; they got better every day.

Most people seem to have a lot more problems than I did, or a lot longer-lasting problems than I did, so I might not be the best example. I healed very quickly and never had issues with gas, vomiting, etc.

I am 3 weeks out and I am famished most of the time. I find that mixing Fiber in with my Protein shakes and broths helps fill me up for awhile. Although it's a little too early for puree for you, I also pureed some beef with canned Soup last night and that filled me up for awhile. I have been so hungry though that I actually went out and bought some appetite suppressants.

After complaining to others on this board about my hunger, I realized that a lot of people get filled up by consuming a lot of fat like dairy products, Beans, and nuts. I simply can't eat those things and lose weight but that may explain why I am hungry all the time while others on this board are not.

Hello All' date='

This is my first day after surgery and I have a lot of gas and I'm hungry! For some reason I am hungry and so far no matter how much Water,Isopure, and broth I drink. Most of the people who were in my classes with me and have already had their surgery are not hungry. It figures that I'm so fat that even after surgery I'm still hungry. I thought I wouldn't get hungry, or at least not as much. It's constant or maybe I'm confusing it with some sort of weird pain I'm mistaking for hunger. I feel like I could eat normally, though I wouldn't dare try it! Is this normal and if so for how long? How long will I be in pain? Please help...[/quote']

Short answer- gas and acid can make you feel hungry. Take an acid reducer and some gas x :) should help!

Days 5-10 were terrible for me. I felt SO hungry and food was all I thought about ALL the time!! I knew in my right mind that it was only the dreaded head hunger, but it was miserable nonetheless.

Then after that, things started getting better and better and the still are. It's a crazy time for you right now but just hang in there...it's going to get better soon!!! You can do this!!!

I have heard from several post sllevers, that they mistaked acid reflux for hunger pain. Does your doctor have you on anything for reflux? If so.. he may want to change your dose or your medicine, that may make all the difference.

I don't understand why every time someone on this board says that he/she is hungry that others try to persuade he/she that he/she is confusing hunger with gas or thirst. We are all adults and know by now the difference between hunger, gas, and thirst. I was absolutely starving today but yet so many people on this board would seemingly have us all believe that I can't possibly be hungry on a 600 calorie diet! It really is ridiculous that everybody who claims to be hungry after surgery on this board is never taken seriously. It is entirely possible that the multitude of people who experience severe hunger after the surgery on a 600 calorie diet are actually...wait for it...HUNGRY.