Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Funky Tastes!

I am about 2 weeks out, and am still on Clear Liquids only, I am about to transition to protien drinks tomorrow, I am excited, but the strangest thing has been happening to me! Today my husband and I stopped at our favorite vietnamese noodle shop. I love their Pho (vietnamese style beef noodle soup), so I got a small bowl minus the noodles, (they looked at me like I was crazy), lol. I was so excited as soon as I got it, I plunked in my spoon and sipped the broth...and almost spit it back out!

It tasted like someone had dumped cream and sugar in the beef broth!! I was like what is going on?!? My husband saw my face an was immediately concerned, I asked him if his Soup tasted funny, he said no, so I had him try mine. He asked me what was wrong, and I told him what it tasted like. All he could do is laugh, we both knew it was me and not the broth! I can't tell you how disappointed I was! I had been looking forward to this broth all day! Lol! I ended up putting some lime in it, but it didn't help much :(

I had a similar experience when I first got home. I decided I was going to make real chicken broth, so I made my mom get out my 5 gallon stock pot, I threw in a chicken and about 8 thighs, I put carrots, onion, celery, and fennel. I cooked it and cooked it and cooked it to DEATH! I added Water, and seasonings, and when my husband got home he had to have a bowl since it smelled so good. I admit, it smelled delicious! I boiled the meat off all the bones, and FINALLY, I strained myself some of the broth off...it tasted horrible! It was overly salty, and yet watery.

My mother and husband both swore I was insane, and have been happily eating my soup for the past week :( So just be ready for those changes, that is the strangest thing that I can say has happened. I am beginning to wonder once I start eating again, what food items will taste gross? Which ones will I still enjoy? Is this happening to a lot of other people? How about you sleevers who have transitioned back to solid foods, does your tastes ever go back?! I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a wierd thing, but it's definately strange!

The same happened to me! Surprising taste changes- but mostly for lamb (my favorite), and beef. Everything is sweeter too.

I'm about 2 months out and have experienced the same thing. My taste buds are sloooowwwwly regaining their sanity, though their not completely sane yet. Be patient, try some new flavors along the way and know that things will get better. :)

6 months out now, but I kid you not for a while after, everything tasted like straight up vomit. Right after the surgery my sense of smell was extremely heightened and the smell of anything chicken or broth made me gag. My taste buds are pretty much back to what they were before now :-)

I have not been sleeved yet, but I am a sweet aholic and I am hoping I will lose my taste for them. Sweets are the reason I'm fat.

Someone who had WLS (not a sleeve) told me that his tastes changed much more post op than even after he quit smoking decades ago. food had SO much more flavor and sweets were practically obnoxious. I am at 2 years out and find I can tolerate them more now but there is definatly more flavor there now.

I'm 6 days post op and I definitely thought I was crazy with this... My sense of smell has gone crazy... Every single smell is so much stronger now and hard to stand even the smell of my poor dog who I love to death and had just gotten a bath was driving me insane...

I haven't had much to eat yet but yesterday I tried a Protein Shake I loved before surgery and the smell and taste where horrible.. I was able to drink 3 oz though.... Later I tried a different one and almost vomited the second I smelled it... I tried drinking it but only had like 1 oz or less before I had to stop...

5 weeks for me and my taste buds are still confused! I don't know what to eat anymore. If I like it, I risk overeating, or it tastes hideous and I can't eat it at all (oatmeal, pastina) plus foods my sleeve isn't ready for, like Tomato sauces, just won't digest. I'm left with such few options, even on no restrictions, my menu leaves much to be desired! I'm still waiting to be able to drink plain Water again-I love water and miss drinking it without additives!

5 weeks for me and my taste buds are still confused! I don't know what to eat anymore. If I like it, I risk overeating, or it tastes hideous and I can't eat it at all (oatmeal, pastina) plus foods my sleeve isn't ready for, like Tomato sauces, just won't digest. I'm left with such few options, even on no restrictions, my menu leaves much to be desired! I'm still waiting to be able to drink plain Water again-I love water and miss drinking it without additives!

My sense of smell is just like I'm pregnant LOL My husband had some sardines he was eating and he threw the can in the garbage I smelled it and instantly gagged. My taste buds seem to have changed a little, but I think when you stop eating, sugar, salt, and fat, when you taste those things again it tastes funny.

Holly5.3 I don't drink all the additives any more in my water, now I just put a slice of fresh lemon or lime in it and squeeze a little of the juice in there to give it a little flavor. I never have been able to drink plain water.

I'm 6 days post op and I definitely thought I was crazy with this... My sense of smell has gone crazy... Every single smell is so much stronger now and hard to stand even the smell of my poor dog who I love to death and had just gotten a bath was driving me insane...

I haven't had much to eat yet but yesterday I tried a Protein Shake I loved before surgery and the smell and taste where horrible.. I was able to drink 3 oz though.... Later I tried a different one and almost vomited the second I smelled it... I tried drinking it but only had like 1 oz or less before I had to stop...

I saw a post on here before where someone suggested drinking the Protein Drinks out of one of those coffee cups with the top that has a slit in it so you can't smell it.

I saw a post on here before where someone suggested drinking the Protein drinks out of one of those coffee cups with the top that has a slit in it so you can't smell it.

Great idea!!! I'm definitely gonna do that!!! Yesterday was hard I'm happy I didn't vomit but just the smell really made me feel like doing it...

I wonder if there is a scientific reason for the change in taste and smell. I know I had it. I quit telling people what I was smelling because they thought I was crazy. My nose was so sensitive to smells. Before surgery, I liked Protein Shakes for Breakfast. I liked most of them and after surgery, I could not stand any of them. I am glad to see I am not the only one. I had surgery July 10th, the smells are back to normal, but I still don't like the Protein Drinks.< /p>

I thought I was the only one too!! Even toothpaste left yucky taste for hours. I'm 7 1/2 weeks out and smells & tastes are still very off but not as bad the first month, thank goodness!