Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Night Eating Syndrome?

Does/did anyone here suffer from night eating syndrome (you can read about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_eating_syndrome)? I do, and it doesn't help that I have insomnia (I wake up multiple times at night and often have a snack when I do). Pretty much the only way I can avoid it is to not keep easy Snacks in the house or to at least keep healthy ones (I'm often barely cognizant as this is happening, so I don't cook, I just grab whatever is quick and easy). Based on some of the things I read in the wiki, I am going to try to change some of my behaviors, such as not skipping Breakfast or eating late and also to try taking melatonin, to see if it helps, but my question--especially to those who have suffered from this and already had VSG--is does the surgery help with this impulse? I have suffered from this for at least 5 years and I am terrified that it will continue post-surgery and completely negate my efforts.

What would be the most worrisome is going into eat something that your stomach can't handle/or eating too much. You could get violently ill. Maybe try to work on this before surgery/get a lock put on your bedroom door so you can't get out :rolleyes:

I have struggled with this for 2 years--ever since I moved in with my BF. I've been working on it since early this year when I 1st considered WLS. It's tough. I still can't beat it. As for post-op...well I just don't know. I plan to stick to a strict time schedule for eating & keep as well hydrated as possible. Right now, I find that if I have some hot tea (usually steeped almond chai blend) w/a little sweetness (SF vanilla Creamer or *maybe* honey) before bed, it doesn't bother me as much at night (my stomach/eating). Another thing I've recently started doing is chomping rolaids/tums when the urge hits at night. I don't have reflux, but it seems to satiate the night munchies anyway...

weight.png 347*294/284/135 (*347HW/294SSW) | @Mwrarr | mwrarr.wordpress.com

Yes, Icon, urge the snack at night still occurs post surgery. This happens to me almost every night. I usually eat 1/2 cup of Special K, crushed ice, a FiberOne bar, or raw veggies if I have them. Like you said, you just have to keep healthy Snacks on hand.

Good to know, although I was really hoping that losing the portion of the stomach that produces ghrelin would help some. Hopefully eating better and earlier during the day and taking melatonin at night will help me to get this (at least somewhat) under control before surgery.

Hi

I was a night eater for years and years.I didnt read the article but here's what I did.Have been sleepless since I was 10.I wouldnt feel hungry or even think about food until dinner time.Then I would have a normal dinner.When my family went to bed I would start eating,snacking late into the night or morning rather.I would Hate myself but felt unable to stop.i would vow to stop doing it the next day,and I was utterly depressed for years about this.Ice cream,potato crisps,chocolates,heck anything unhealthy would do in great quantities.

I've been sleeved for 8 months now and have lost 110 pounds.I srill have a strong compulsion to eat at night.But I am an intellegent woman and didnt go through this surgery to fail.Now I have a plan.

Sugarfree popcicles are an absolute life saver for me.I have 3 different brands and I eat up to 4 every evening.I do not allow myself anything else after dinner.I also have a huge cup or 2 of tea that takes some time to drink.

Other than that I realize and admit to myself that I am not hungry.I am being very honest with myself and do not accept any excuse from myself.I do not have the self pity allowing myself to fail attitude anymore.

Now,I also make the effort to be much more tired at night.I have to be.Some times when I have a bad night I will go and run in the evening.The exercise during the day also helps to exhaust me more.The rule is I have to be i. Bed and stay in bed after 12.No getting out of bed other than going to the bathroom.

You see,I have come to realize we can take responsibility for ourselves.No one can help me,but me.I am the only one that can choose to be different.AND I HAVE CHOSEN.

I keep asking myself this over and over.HOW BADLY TO I WANT TO BE SKINNY AND OVERCOME THIS CRAZY BEHAVIOUR THAT HAS RUINED MY LIFE?

The surgery didnt help and the first 2 months I went slightly mad when I was so obsessed to eat at night and just couldnt.THEN I MADE THE CHOICE TO BE DIFFERENT!

Good luck on your journey.

Hi

I was a night eater for years and years.I didnt read the article but here's what I did.Have been sleepless since I was 10.I wouldnt feel hungry or even think about food until dinner time.Then I would have a normal dinner.When my family went to bed I would start eating,snacking late into the night or morning rather.I would Hate myself but felt unable to stop.i would vow to stop doing it the next day,and I was utterly depressed for years about this.Ice cream,potato crisps,chocolates,heck anything unhealthy would do in great quantities.

I've been sleeved for 8 months now and have lost 110 pounds.I srill have a strong compulsion to eat at night.But I am an intellegent woman and didnt go through this surgery to fail.Now I have a plan.

Sugarfree popcicles are an absolute life saver for me.I have 3 different brands and I eat up to 4 every evening.I do not allow myself anything else after dinner.I also have a huge cup or 2 of tea that takes some time to drink.

Other than that I realize and admit to myself that I am not hungry.I am being very honest with myself and do not accept any excuse from myself.I do not have the self pity allowing myself to fail attitude anymore.

Now,I also make the effort to be much more tired at night.I have to be.Some times when I have a bad night I will go and run in the evening.The exercise during the day also helps to exhaust me more.The rule is I have to be i. Bed and stay in bed after 12.No getting out of bed other than going to the bathroom.

You see,I have come to realize we can take responsibility for ourselves.No one can help me,but me.I am the only one that can choose to be different.AND I HAVE CHOSEN.

I keep asking myself this over and over.HOW BADLY TO I WANT TO BE SKINNY AND OVERCOME THIS CRAZY BEHAVIOUR THAT HAS RUINED MY LIFE?

The surgery didnt help and the first 2 months I went slightly mad when I was so obsessed to eat at night and just couldnt.THEN I MADE THE CHOICE TO BE DIFFERENT!

Good luck on your journey.

Thank you for your honesty and for sharing your story. I am really working on trying to change this behavior now, especially since I know the sleeve won't cure the impulse. Last night I woke up hungry, but instead of immediately heading for food, I sat in bed for a few minutes, which allowed my brain to become more alert and I was able to talk myself out of it. I think a big part of the problem is that I head to the kitchen before I can even think most of the time.

Hi

Having said all I have,the first few weeks after the sleeve when we are on liquids and cant eat is a perfect habit breaker as you cannot eat.

The change did start there for me.

I'm glad to hear this! :) I've been working on my night eating for months. It's slightly better, but...

I am so glad to hear I am not the only person who is/was like this! I can go all day and not think about food. here lately I even have to set a timer to remind myself to drink Water. But when it gets dark...I get hungry. It's like dinner is my breakfast then when everyone else is going to bed then I am doing my lunch...etc..Some nights I do good and don't eat.. But then other nights I wake up and think I am starving or jsut have to get something. Even if it is a handful of chips.

I am supposed to be counting my carbs this month, and then on the 9th of this month will go on 21 grams of carbs, then liquid. I am afraid they won't let me know. I have not followed the low carb and I am pretty sure I have gained. I keep eating everything I think I will never eat again. Which depresses me and then I eat more. I need help!

I'm now 9+ months post-op & it does get better. Or...at least it did once I was in recovery mode & didn't want to eat at all. It bought me enough time to reset old habits. Lately it's started creeping back in but I've recognized my triggers. Usually if I have a bit of Protein right before bed (spoon of PB, cheese stick, etc), I'll be ok. Carbs tend to trigger it, too.

Try not to worry too much about the pre-op slip ups. We all have them. But basically unless you have a total harda$$ surgeon (who already probably would've warned you about canceling your surgery for slip ups), once insurance says yes, not much will stop it--unless they have significant reason to think it'd be unsafe. Just get back on track & muddle through. It's seriously the hardest part...after surgery, there's a whole new life waiting. :)