Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I finally have my insurance approval and I want to have surgery mid-January. I have my psy eval on 10/23. What should I expect? Does anyone ever fail it?

I don't know of any one that failed it. my eval lasted 5 mins. She asked why i wanted the sugery, what reserch i have done, what support network i have, and then she did a mini mental test. The mini mental just involved asking basic questions how old are you, who is the president, where are you, the one tricky one was say the months of the year backwards starting with January. It was sucha breeze, i had so much anxiety about it beforehand, but it really was not that bad. She even told me on the spot, that i am a great candidate for surgery. Congrats on the insurance approval!

Crishell, the psych evaluation is basically to make sure that you are mentally prepared for the changes that bariatric surgery will make in your life, and that you're ready to make the changes you will have to make to be successful. It's easy enough to "pass" if you say the right things, but don't make any attempts to be dishonest because you won't be doing yourself any favors if you hide anything.

I'm sure you'll do fine as long as you have really considered the consequences of surgery and examined your behaviors and motivations. If you've done that and come to the conclusion that banding is right for you, I'm sure the person evaluating you will agree.

My eval was pretty long- a full hour but it was very simple. I really just talked with the counselor. She asked questions I answered them, very simple. My lady was actually quite nice and I was honest and upfront with her. I told her of a past weight loss attempt (85 pounds) and how that made me feel and the issues that I experienced that time and she told me that was good, I am aware of them and that if they crop up again, we can work through them. Because I did not know what to expect I was nervous but really it is just talking with somebody and it did not seem like she was "analyzing" me. Just be yourself and you will be fine.

My eval wasn't bad either, although it lasted an hour and a half it was basicly just setting down and talking with my counceler. Mostly just for insurance purposes I suppose. Hopefully the final mile stone for insuranse to just say yes get it done!! When that day finaly is here I will be very exited.

You guys got off easy! I had to take the mmi - Minnesota multi something or other - couple hrs of questions like do you love your mother?, Do you like to torture small animals? and then they ask the same ones again later on with slightly differenct wording. It was fun........ Then I had to go back for the results and an interview. I found out I am certifiably normal. She told me the test showed I tended to be too hard on myself - when I told my family that, I am sure half the neighborhood hood the " well, duuuuh!"

I can honestly say for whatever reason, I think calling a psycologist was the hardest part of the whole thing. If I didn't want this so badly, I might not have called at all. Think that is part of the test??

My psych eval was an hour long session. I was asked questions about my success at work, home, with my partner, etc. What did I expect as a result of surgery, etc. I plan to go back 1/2 way through my weight loss, when I reach goal and then through the first year after reaching goal. I know I have issues with the attention weight loss brings.

Also, at the office there are many bandsters. Anyway, all but one passed the psych test and interestingly enough, she is the only that is not successful with the band. She eats around the band, eats the wrong things, etc.

Mine was about 45 minutes. Just talking to the counselor. She was a very nice person. Like Alexandra said, just seeing if you are ready for the surgery. I did a very short questionaire also.

I believe that this particular counselor also moderates the after care group sessions for my surgeon. I live 4 1/2 hours away, so I have not been able to attend, but I would not hesitate to go if I were in the area.

Terry :rolleyes:

Mine was over an hour- - took a personality test then visited with the shrink. She said my test indicated I was depressed (that and the fact I cried all the way thru the interview might have given her a 'hint') and she would not sign off for me to have surgery until I made an appointment with a shrink in my area. As soon as I verified that, she signed my papers.....she was just doing it for my own good.

mine was about 15-20 minutes. He asked me what I knew.. blah blah blah .. and I shared my fear... which is if I am an emotional eater now how will I deal with that after the surgery? He told me do yoga or exercise, my daughter and I got a laugh out of that one... like me and hubby are doing bills and I get stressed so I say just wait a minute I'm going to go do some yoga or take a walk. yeah right! What really works? Oh and the main thing he was concerned about was the stress on the marriage as far as a change in body can bring on new jealousy and stuff like that.

Not sure if they fail people... i know that they probably should... i know a person that got a bypass... he just wasn't ready... he was already a really shy and secluded person now a lot of social interaction ( tough life and family Bullsh**) so he got the surgery and lost all this weight and now. its like going from being more or less ignored in a club to being able to get who he wants ... but its weird you would think that hes happy but no ... hes angry.. he lashes out at sarcastic humor and everything is BLACK or WHITE... any constructive criticism is misconstrued as a attack on his person and may trigger him to lash out... I was with him when he at a party and got drunk. And the hole night seemed as though it was one big pump up my ego session. the more he drank the more insecure he would get... honestly when u get a nice buzz going yourself it kind of ruins it... I just don't get it the more i hang around the guy the more i and trying to figure out how he passed the psych eval... He told me the other night that he gets angry because the people he dates never wanted him when he was fat... I understand where hes coming from ... but i myself don't have his emotional issues... hes already in counseling but thats not exactly working for him... im at aloss.... i mean i had to get over my own issues but i don't know what to do to help him with his social skills or his anger about his newly found popularity.