Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Chia Seeds!

OMG, whoever posted about Chia seeds last week, I have to thank you from the bottom of my heart. These little seeds are amazing! After I heard about them, i quickly researched them and then headed out to GNC and bought a bag. They are mixed into whatever you wish. I love to mix mine into yogurt. They swell up and make a thick gel like substance, you eat it and voila your full. Because it has Protein, it keeps you full. You can mix them in your favorite juice as well and once it gels, eat it. Because the seeds have no flavor, they take on the flavor of the juice. Right now I'm totally loving lime flavored yogurt and don't think i'll be able to finish it. You stay full pretty long too. They give lots of energy as well. . Now here's the kicker (always a kicker). . .don't use these if you already are taking blood pressure pills because they do lower the b/p. Don't use if your on blood thinners, cause they work as an anticogulant, and there has been evidence linked to chia seeds and the risk of prostate cancer if it's in the family, they are addictive,

Can someone post a little more about chia seeds. I bought them at trader joes to help with Constipation. I took a spoonful and downed with iced tea. My concern is the calories...70 in 1 tbsp and 5 g fat. Trying to conquer constipation and getting in enough Protein, but not sure that these are a win win...

Can someone post a little more about chia seeds. I bought them at trader joes to help with Constipation. I took a spoonful and downed with iced tea. My concern is the calories...70 in 1 tbsp and 5 g fat. Trying to conquer constipation and getting in enough protein' date=' but not sure that these are a win win...[/quote']

I use 2 teaspoons in a Protein shake. They have no net carbs. And the dietary fat is of no concern. They don't make you fat. The Protein, Fiber and antioxidant content in chia seeds more than makes up for that small calorie total. You are not going to get fat on these with a sleeve. And as the OP stated, they are slow digesting and bulky, meaning they keep you full longer.

Did you eat them straight? You can do that, but they are better mixed into the liquid. They are also good in pudding or yogurt.

Sounds great, saw an episode of Dr. Oz talk about chia seeds and I've only tried it once, but I have some so I'm going to try it in my Protein Drink. Thanks OP.

When did you start using chia seeds post surgery? I used them religiously before being sleeved but was sleeved last Thursday and I miss using them for all their health benefits. I wanted to know if I could start using them so close to my surgery day. I plan on asking my dietician but I was curious when you anyone here may have started using them post surgery.

Can someone post a little more about chia seeds. I bought them at trader joes to help with Constipation. I took a spoonful and downed with iced tea. My concern is the calories...70 in 1 tbsp and 5 g fat. Trying to conquer constipation and getting in enough Protein, but not sure that these are a win win...

http://www.livestron...hould-be-eaten/

http://www.livestron...hould-be-eaten/

http://www.livestrong.com/article/380454-chia-seeds-their-benefits/

Ok, I went and bought some chia seeds for the first time from a natural health store. They are pre-ground. I haven't tried them yet because am wondering about a few things, when is the best time to et these with respect to someone who eats every 3 hours? I don't eat pudding or Jello, so what is a good way to eat these? I do have a Protein Shake every morning and evening. Should I mix some in with the 8 oz shake? One is mixed with milk ( morning) and one is mixed with Water (evening). Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!

Fiddleman, I use them now, I am pre surgery and use 1/2 teaspoon daily plus other things alike that with it and in blender drinks but they might suggest 1 or even 2 teaspoons. It supplements what I get for anti oxident amoni acids, kinda is just a good fat added to diet. You can buy or make snack bars with them in it too. I'd suggest you feel it out and use a little bit at a time until you feel you like what it is you do with it.

http://www.nuts.com/snacks/energy-squares/chia.html

Edited by beguiledb4

Ok' date=' I went and bought some chia seeds for the first time from a natural health store. They are pre-ground. I haven't tried them yet because am wondering about a few things, when is the best time to et these with respect to someone who eats every 3 hours? I don't eat pudding or Jello, so what is a good way to eat these? I do have a Protein shake every morning and evening. Should I mix some in with the 8 oz shake? One is mixed with milk ( morning) and one is mixed with Water (evening). Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks![/quote']

I use a couple of teaspoons in my Protein shakes (I don't really measure them anymore, just I eyeball it). Milk or Water won't matter much, just be sure you are well hydrated when you drink them because they will be looking to absorb water. If you put them in your shake and drink it right away, they will give it a nice crunchy texture, which is good. But if you allow the shake to sit for 20 minutes first they will soften up and your shake will get super thick. But it will be more filling and sustaining. I like it either way, but right before bed I let them sit and thicken up.

I use a couple of teaspoons in my Protein shakes (I don't really measure them anymore' date=' just I eyeball it). Milk or Water won't matter much, just be sure you are well hydrated when you drink them because they will be looking to absorb Water. If you put them in your shake and drink it right away, they will give it a nice crunchy texture, which is good. But if you allow the shake to sit for 20 minutes first they will soften up and your shake will get super thick. But it will be more filling and sustaining. I like it either way, but right before bed I let them sit and thicken up.[/quote']

That is really good advice. My biggest gripe about Protein Shakes is that they don't fill me up any more. I am glad the chia seeds will help with that.

That is really good advice. My biggest gripe about Protein shakes is that they don't fill me up any more. I am glad the chia seeds will help with that.

I tried the chia seeds with both a Water shake last night and a light soy shake this morning. Both were much thicker which made me happy. The only problem is that I woke up this morning with some mild dehydration as I didn't want to drink a lot before going to bed. I think the solution may be to keep some Water by the bed at night. Overall, I am pleased with the grounded chia seeds as they will take the bite off of an empty stomach at 2.5 hours (eat every 3 hours).

Just ordered some!!!

I tried the chia seeds with both a Water shake last night and a light soy shake this morning. Both were much thicker which made me happy. The only problem is that I woke up this morning with some mild dehydration as I didn't want to drink a lot before going to bed. I think the solution may be to keep some Water by the bed at night. Overall' date=' I am pleased with the grounded chia seeds as they will take the bite off of an empty stomach at 2.5 hours (eat every 3 hours).[/quote']

Yep, like I said, be well hydrated when you take them. I like to hydrate before I take the chia seeds. You can chase the seeds with a lot of water, but that will empty out your sleeve. Either way, they look to absorb water which is what helps them do all the things they do.

I just bought a bag at costco. I am hooked on Premier shakes so I will try adding a 1/2 tsp to start and shake it up.