Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Day Of "soft" Food... Already Not Going Well...

So, today is three weeks post op... I was told to call today for my new, advanced diet... I called and got voicemail. Augghhh!

So, being on my fifth week of Liquid Protein, and SICK of the shakes, I took it upon myself to make a one egg omelette with ground turkey sausage.

I ate a smidge over half... And began feeling bad... Chest pain, stomach pain, felt hot all over... And then I threw up. I hope this does not mean my body is not ready for soft food! Perhaps I ate either too much or too fast? God, am I sick of Protein shakes!

That's how I felt when I ate to much. So maybe try again with something else and observe your portion size. Give it a little time between bites to let your body tell you your full.

Stay strong

Sausage is not soft food. It's for near the end stages of your restrictions. Did you also use cheese? I'd watch the type of cheese in the early soft food stage.

Soft food is eggs, SOFTLY scrambled. Was your omelet cooked through? That alone could be an issue. When I was on softs I had scrambled eggs, with which I used Water to mix them, not milk (you get a fluffier and softer egg that way...milk with egg makes custard). I also had either ketchup or salsa with it to keep it moist. Adding meats and cheese (which cooks up hard if you did use it) equates to "hard" food, not soft.

Stick to the cottage cheese and if you want an egg, make it just one, and skip the fillings for now.

It sounds like you at too much as well........

Do not rush, eating meats is hard on your stomach right now.....

Yeah, just hung up w my docs office... Ground turkey is a no... Just scrambled egg and soft cheese. I can also have tuna, crab (no shrimp yet) tofu (blech!) and fish... No veggies yet... Nothing on my family's Thanksgiving menu is ok! Guess I will be having fish... Still better than Protein Shakes though!

I'm glad I saw this! I'm also 3 weeks out and made the exact same meal Saturday and Sunday. I turned the turkey sausage into a dust and whipped up a 1 egg omelette with a bit of cheese and salsa. Mine went down fine and I ate the whole thing without issue. I'm glad to find out now this was a no-no because it was one of my new favorite meals :(

I'm glad I saw this! I'm also 3 weeks out and made the exact same meal Saturday and Sunday. I turned the turkey sausage into a dust and whipped up a 1 egg omelette with a bit of cheese and salsa. Mine went down fine and I ate the whole thing without issue. I'm glad to find out now this was a no-no because it was one of my new favorite meals :(

Each doc seems to have different requirements... Your doc may say turkey sausage is ok! Some folks on this board were eating my week 3 plan 7 days out...

I agree with may have eaten too much..and I personally couldn't tolerate eggs. I did a lot of luncheon meats and soft Beans in the beginning stages where you ate...it took several months before I could tolerate eggs..an I don't eat them often because of that..1 over easy egg or poached is good for me! Good luck

Good advice on the egg issue, Iggychic!

Do try a poached egg and smoosh it like crazy with a fork. You might get half of it down. That is how I are my eggs, but you have to like runny yolks. If you don't then soft scramble them. No meats for awhile, I am over 3 months out and still approach meat with caution!

Thanks for all the tibbits!! I'm starting week 2 but want to prepare week 3 when I grocery shop. So, let me get this right:

cottage cheese

tuna

refried Beans

milk

Soups

mashed potatoes

crab

egg

any other suggestions???

Thanks for all the tibbits!! I'm starting week 2 but want to prepare week 3 when I grocery shop. So' date=' let me get this right:

cottage cheese

tuna

refried Beans

milk

Soups

mashed potatoes

crab

egg

any other suggestions???[/quote']

if you like it, greek yogurt is a nice option. Sweet potatoes are also allowed. pumpkin made healthy is ok (given the season). I use sour cream and salsa more than I ever have and they made the early soft food phase way easier. (refried Beans, salsa and sour cream) yumm

Keep your soups simple. Think about the skin on things....chicken noodle, easy, but something like corn chowder if not strained would be an issue because the corn skin is hard to digest. Split pea Soup (which I added ground ham to) is great, but I didn't do well when the skin was on the peas (less cooked I guess). Lentil Soup though was really easy on me and had good Protein.

I can't abide tuna, but fresh fish is good at this point as well. Watch the crab if it's fake...that's full of sugar and can be hard on the system. But lump crab added to a nice cream soup is delish as well.

Thanks for all the tibbits!! I'm starting week 2 but want to prepare week 3 when I grocery shop. So' date=' let me get this right:

cottage cheese

tuna

refried Beans

milk

Soups

mashed potatoes

crab

egg

any other suggestions???[/quote']

Hummus was one of my foods that was considered a puree, but I still eat it at the soft food stage. The laughing cow cheese is soft too and tasty.

I forgot one other thing I had one night that was so good. Roasted garlic, roasted until it was super soft, like spreading butter. I had it on top of a slice of mozzarella cheese (very thin).