Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Incision Discomfort And Sleep

I am 3 days post op and thankfully so far so good. Not on any pain meds and I am doing pretty well with getting most of my fluids down, however sleep is an issue. Can't seem to get a good position in my bed so I have bee. sleeping in my living room chair. My stomach doesn't hurt, just a feeling of discomfort. How long did it take for the discomfort in your tummy to go away and how we're you able to get sleep post op?

Hi I'm 4 days post op today, I have only just stopped getting the chest / shoulder pain . I am still uncomfortable in my stomach area . I struggle to get the liquids in and feeling quite weak and tired . I'm trying really hard to get my Protein Powder in . I really miss the texture of food :( .

I am 3 days post-op also. I have weaned myself off my pain meds...except at bedtime. My doctor told me to take them and not let the pain get ahead. He said, "That is why I wrote you a prescription." The pain med makes me very drowsy and I fall fast asleep. So, I am taking my pain meds at bedtime and have not had any problems sleeping. I have even been sleeping on my sides which is the way I usually sleep. I know I need rest and sleep to heal so I make sure I am comfortable at bedtime. Good luck and congratulations on your surgery!

My sleeping habits are off but its okay with me. I was up all hours in the hospital walking and so it is the same here at home. We have to walk often for a month out to keep from getting blood clots. If you wake, use the time to walk and get the circulation going again. I also keep my bottle of propel with me and drink every few minutes. My tummy is pretty sore, when i stand up. if Im sitting I feel nothing. Im thankful as many have not had it so good as this so soon out.....thankful for no nausea and no leaks. I do have a bit of headache at times but last night went ahead and took my pain meds as i had no regular tylenol. Im going to get my husband to pick me up some today. I am not taking the script pain meds. Enjoying my first full day at home ! I normally work and am excited about watching the Today show ! I always enjoy it around holiday time !

Get a little, very soft pillow. It is perfect to tuck next to a spot that needs extra support. It also feels good on your tummy, like a buffer. Mine came from Walgreens.

Seems after a surgery I had years back this is the norm but once your able in these first days to move about it may help that you do 3 or 4 times before a nap then one or two times naps and some of the feeling disapates. It's tuff waking the way you did and then for some days until you finally get that good rest a few times.

I am 5 weeks postop and hate sleeping in the recliner. My soulution since we do not have a hospital bed at home that you can raise the head of the bed, I settled for a 12 inch wedge pillow that we got at our local pharmacy. I have slept comfortably in my bed since the day I came home from the hospital.

I struggled with this as I am a stomach and side sleeper. The first night home I took the pain med and zonked right out. However, I woke in the middle of the night and found myself on my stomach. OUCH...I have a small nap pillow from Brookstone that is filled with some kind of little beads and I now sleep soundly on my side and use the pillow as a stomach support. Works perfectly.

I am a side sleeper too. Try lying on the same side as your incision with a pillow placed under it for support. The pressure from the pillow should help. At least it did for me. It took me 5 weeks for the pain to completely go away

Great feedback. I had the best sleep last night.popped half a percocet for a little pain, turned my pillows into somewhat do a hospital bed and it was lights out from there.