Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Need Suggestions On How To Sip More Successfully Without Getting So Excited And Drink To Muck To Where I Spit Everything Back Up.

Know someone has to struggle with this , not just me. Ive tried sipping out of shot glasses, medicine cups.... Nothing seems to work. I also think I'm swallowing to much air : (.

Try pouring your liquids in a small (tiny) glass or cup. I used a little measuring cup for a while. Or even like a slim wine glass. Something your mind associates with taking smaller drinks.< /p>

You are pretty close to being just out of surgery it seems. That swollen stomach doesn't want anything down there but you have to be the boss. It will get better. You are doing the right thing but you must not be distracted while you drink. Just wet your mouth over and over with tiny sips, the Water will get down there.

It is against a lifetime of conditioning to eat and drink small. Concentrate.

It is somewhat like going to one of those goofy countries that have cars with the wheel on the wrong side and folks drive on the wrong side of the road. I spent 6 months in South Africa and when I came back I nearly had a head-on collision because I got accustomed to bizzaro world. :ph34r:

I am not a doctor and you should always follow YOUR doctors advice. That being said I too had problems with "sips" I would sip too much air in while drinking out of a cup no matter how small my doctor said to try a straw. It worked wonders!! I would sip from a straw just enough liquid to fill the roof of my mouth and then swallow. Some doctors I read about on here advise against straws because of swallowing too much air but everyone is different so try a straw it couldn't be any worse than what your experiencing now. Good luck!!

My Dr. also allows straws. Maybe that would help. Good luck! :rolleyes:

I was going to ask a similar question - my surgery was Tuesday and I barely got in 16 oz of Water yesterday. Although I did sleep a lot. I am trying to drink my Isopure to get in 20 oz of Fluid and at least 40 g of Protein. I'm not quite halfway through it - so I'm thinking today will be better. But what I thought were small sips hurt (I had a hiatal hernia repaired too so I'm not sure if that's part of the discomfort). I had to cut those small sips in half and barely take in anything to swallow it. But it still feels like I take in a lot of air as well.

My doc told us no straws as well - so I'll have to see how today goes with the Isopure and other Water.< /p>

Wow, each doctor is different. Mine told me straws are out for good due to the air sucked in before the drink hits your tongue. :wacko:

I had the similar situation, I was sleeved on 11/5 and I wasn't getting enough Water in. So, I was advised to get ice cubes and let them melt in your mouth 8-10 small cups all day long and that will insure your water intake. It seems to be working for me. Hope this helps!

I used and eye dropper! haha...

I just laid on my couch continuously dropping small amounts of Propel in my mouth. Everyday got easier to drink more and more and at 3 weeks out I can now take gulps.

I also had trouble getting Fluid down I stayed on hospital 3 days. Upon release I was advised to drink 1 ounce every 15 minutes. Mind you that I struggled with that in the hospital. Then I thought maybe when I get home it would get better since I was 3 days out. Nope it didn't. So I called doctor and he told me to get ice chips and Popsicles to get fluid in to prevent dehydration. He also said that I needed to take 1 tablespoon every 30 minutes for 4 hours and then 2 tablespoon of liquids every 30 minutes so my new tummy can adjust to things going down. 2 tablespoon is 1oz so I felt good about getting my oz in. Once I went to check up he said he repaired a hiatal hernia that I was not aware of. My doctor Stated this was the reason I was having trouble getting fluids down because my throat was swollen from the hiatal hernia repair as well as my stomach. I said then give me leak test because i wanted to see my stomach size and to see how swollen and how small my new stomach was.i was wondering what else he didn't tell me.was my new tummy too small i cant get liquids in.This was my situation. So maybe you can try this way, it help me allow me to take bigger sips. Saying all this I feel great because I have has no nausea or dizziness or any other issues other than not intaking the amount daily required oz. I am on my 3rd weed and I get about 32 oz in of fluids. My tummy just maybe still swollen a whole lot. So have patience and always consult with your doctor for any advice. We on here just provide our experience.

How about just crunching on Sonic Ice chips all day?

Know someone has to struggle with this ' date=' not just me. Ive tried sipping out of shot glasses, medicine cups.... Nothing seems to work. I also think I'm swallowing to much air : (.[/quote']

When I was first sleeved I had trouble with getting too much air when I drank. I would get a mouthful and tip my head back so it was in the back of my throat and swallow slowly. It will get better. 2 1/2 months out and I can chug about 5 oz.

Im almost 5 months out and still stay thirsty all the time. Mostly for ice Water. :D