Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Musings: "the Rules" Are All Over The Place

Is anybody else bothered by the fact that every doc seems to have his/her own sets of rules/guidelines/instructions post surgery? "The RULES" are all over the map, which seems so haphazard to me...you'd think by now there would be a Best Practices consensus for a Gastric Sleeve post op regimen.

Same with pre op. For example, some doc's want a 2 week pre-op diet, some 1 week, some even days.

Differences like this could drive a person crazy. :wacko:

Yes it's crazy. I am reassured by the strictness of my Doctors orders. I think. better to error on the side of caution.

Some doctors want you on a liquid preop. Some low carb. I wonder how naughty it would be to do low carb instead of liquid. Would they really know?

My goal is to get my bmi lowered so that maybe I'm not required to do the liver shrinking part. It's 40 now and my (hopeful) surgery is near feb.

Check to see if your doctor is in the network of a certified "Bariatric Center of Excellence". They have best practices.

Some doctors want you on a liquid preop. Some low carb. I wonder how naughty it would be to do low carb instead of liquid. Would they really know?

My goal is to get my bmi lowered so that maybe I'm not required to do the liver shrinking part. It's 40 now and my (hopeful) surgery is near feb.

One thing has nothing to do with the other. You can have a low BMI and still have a fatty liver. Cutting sugar and carbs right before surgery will shrink your liver to make surgery easier and less risky.

There is more than one way to do this, but each doctor decides how they want it done and then direct their patients accordingly. The docs try to simplify the plan and also "idiot proof" it. That's why they don't give us options. If they did, a certain percentage of people would not understand and get it wrong.

Hm. Actually I just finished dr alvarezs book and he states that if your bmi is 35 or lower, you may not have to do the PRE op 1-2 week diet. *shrug*

That's why I said you CAN have a fatty liver. Not that you WILL have a fatty liver. I also did not realize our BMI was that low.

Check to see if your doctor is in the network of a certified "Bariatric Center of Excellence". They have best practices.

My surgeon and facility are in the network, but are some of the most liberal postop. They allow whole pills from Day 1-no crushing , puréed meat x3 meals 1st day home, and even order NSAIDs for excessive pain (Celebrex). Go figure!

Hm. Actually I just finished dr alvarezs book and he states that if your bmi is 35 or lower, you may not have to do the PRE op 1-2 week diet. *shrug*

Well until you are on the table the doctor won't know how your liver is. It is best to err on the side of caution and do a low carb pre-op diet. I only had to do a week, did nine days, and my doc did not need to make the extra, "hole" to use the liver lifter...............what a good thing!

i have noticed and it makes me a little irritated! but i guess i will just listen to my doc!

I have a question can yall help me with it? I have to lose at least 15lbs is it better to just go on liquids now? I have been watching what I eat but instead picked up a pound not bad compared to the 20 I picked up in one month on a eating frenzy when i got the mirena. And do I need to take any Vitamins?

Thank you in advance wls is in Dec