Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Am I Doing Wrong?

I was sleeved 8/6/12. It's my 3 month anniversary and I am down 33 lbs. I don't know what I am doing wrong. I saw the doctor yesterday and he said I should have lost more, but maybe my metabolism is slow. I can eat about 3/4-1 c at a sitting. After I eat I am stuffed, but only for about 30-40 mins. I eat about 4x a day. I am getting Protein, I exercise 3x a week, I should drink more Water, but other than that, I don't know what I am doing wrong. I have had stalls that last 2 and 3 weeks. The majority of my loss was in the first month and a half. A typical day of eating is: Greek yogurt, 1/2 banana, protein bar and about 20 oz water, all before 1:00 pm. 1/2 sandwich and a small dinner, maybe 20 more oz water.

I am so happy I had the surgery, but I want to feel excited and I want to see great results for this amount of effort.

Those are great results. You should average a loss of 10 lbs a month. You're doing great. Everyone losses at their own pace. The slower you lose the better your skin will get back.

Yes, I know that that is 35 lbs I would never have lost w/out the sleeve, but even my doctor said it should be more.

I was sleeved in the same day as you!! My doc said to never eat more than 1/2 a cup of food at a time, eat only 3 times a day, and do not drink any calories. It has worked for me, I am down 42 since surgery and he is happy with the loss.

I've lost 70 pounds in the 4.5 months since my surgery, so I thought I'd share a few things about my approach. I typically eat between 550 and 650 calories/day, getting between 80-90 grams of protein/day, and limiting carbs (of any kind) to less than 30 grams/day. I'm able to eat about 1/2 cup of "solid" food at a meal, but no more (and sometimes not that much). I have 8 oz of Muscle Milk Light around 7am, before I go to the gym, then another 8 oz after I get done at the gym (between 9:30 and 10am). I have lunch around 12:30...usually 1/4 cup tuna salad (with fat-free miracle whip and sugar-free pickle relish), and 1/4 cup fat-free cottage cheese (or a low-fat string cheese). I have a "snack" around 3pm...usually a low-fat string cheese. For dinner I typically have 1-2 oz of lean Protein, and a couple bites of non-starchy vegetable, or 1/4 cup fat-free cottage cheese, depending on my mood. In the evening I usually have a Quest "chocolate brownie" Protein Bar, to ensure I get enough Protein for the day. I average 80-100 oz of liquid (water, coffee, tea, Muscle Milk, etc) every day. As for they gym, I typically go 6 days a week, for 2 hours...I walk in the pool (think "power walk") for 90 minutes, then do 30 minutes of abdominal Water aerobics, in the deep end. This equates to roughly 1300 calories burned.

Granted, I probably don't "need" to do as much as I do at the gym, and I "could" eat more calories, if I wanted....but....I want to get rid of the weight I have to lose, and I want to do it as quickly as possible. As it stands, I have about 58 pounds left to lose to reach my goal....with my current loss at 122 pounds, total. Its working for me....that's all I know. :)

I wish you continued success!!

Laura

Thank you for the information, especially Lollifidy1965. I can't seem to get myself organized with food, but you've given me great ideas.

Thank you for the information, especially Lollifidy1965. I can't seem to get myself organized with food, but you've given me great ideas.

I'm so glad to be a help! Feel free to reach out any time! :)

Laura

I have 100 total to lose. 35 is not terrible, but I am constantly in a stall. Weeks will pass and I will be the same weight, and then 2 lbs will come off. It's a little disheartening. My nutritionist said 1/2 - 3/4 c 3x a day, the doctor says 5 small meals is better! I just want the weight to come off quicker.

I too had a very long stall(or a very slow second month). I was sleeved aug 27. My highest weight was 256. My surgery date I was 236. And 2 months out I was 211. 45pounds. Today I am 206. And at the 50 pound milestone. The second month I was sooo discouraged. Because most of that 45 pounds was lost in the first 2 weeks. I talked to some fellow sleevers and discovered that my Protein and Water intake was way too low. You need a minimum of 60g of protein a day but 70 or more is better! And should also be drinking 60oz of water a day. The other tip I have is keep your carbs under 40(under 30 is better). I agree with everything lollyfiddy1965 says. Because my weightloss was slower then I liked I also began working out. I am on the elliptical 5x a week for 20-30mins. I do some weights 3x a week. And I play rec volleyball for an hour every Tuesday. And I curl every Friday for 2 hours. I eat a lot of Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, chicken and fish. My typical day is also very similar to lollyfiddy1965. I expect my third month to be spectacular as long as I keep following the guidelines. There are still many days where I struggle to meet the requirements. Max 800 calories, max 40g of carbs. Minimum of 60 protein(aim higher) And min 60 oz of water. Keep track of your intake. I use myfitnesspal...a wonderful tool. Hope our tips help you thru this difficult time! And try to remember that it's 35 pounds you'll never gain back! And stay positive it will come!!! I spent my second month in tears(which I'm told is normal) but I've had a much more positive outlook the last 10 days.

Can I ask how much your starting weight was? I only ask because I'm in the same boat. I'm only 1month post op and I've only lost 17lb total. My starting weight was 237. I'm 5'4 and although I'm short I never looked so heavy. When my dr. Met me for the first time he said that based on appearance I did Not look like I would qualify for VsG. Big reason i did the sleeve was for my health. I had cholesterol problem border line diabetes, hypothyroid and my mom is a 2x breast cancer surviver ( yikes!!! Hard uo write and read this) I'm hopping i could be wrong but maybe I'm losing slow because I only have about 100 lbs to loose??

I'm always hungry and I know I'm eating more than I should :-/ I used to skip meals and look forward to the 1 big meal. Eating to get full was my thing. i found comfort in being full. Retraining my head to eat smaller meals has screwed me up big time! Makes me feel hungry all the time and having me eat all day long. Ugh....just frustrated.

I read in a prior post that our passion was food and now we have to find another passion. im constantly looking for ways to change and look for my new passion.

Good luck on ur journey and hope things get better. Be positive sister!!!

Can I ask how much your starting weight was? I only ask because I'm in the same boat. I'm only 1month post op and I've only lost 17lb total. My starting weight was 237. I'm 5'4 and although I'm short I never looked so heavy. When my dr. Met me for the first time he said that based on appearance I did Not look like I would qualify for VsG. Big reason i did the sleeve was for my health. I had cholesterol problem border line diabetes' date=' hypothyroid and my mom is a 2x breast cancer surviver ( yikes!!! Hard uo write and read this) I'm hopping i could be wrong but maybe I'm losing slow because I only have about 100 lbs to loose??

I'm always hungry and I know I'm eating more than I should :-/ I used to skip meals and look forward to the 1 big meal. Eating to get full was my thing. i found comfort in being full. Retraining my head to eat smaller meals has screwed me up big time! Makes me feel hungry all the time and having me eat all day long. Ugh....just frustrated.

I read in a prior post that our passion was food and now we have to find another passion. im constantly looking for ways to change and look for my new passion.

Good luck on ur journey and hope things get better. Be positive sister!!!

[/quote']

You've lost 17 pounds in one month? Or was that including pre-op? That's a lot of weight loss in a short amount of time.

And yes, at 'only' 100 pounds to lose, it goes much slower. I'm averaging a pound a week. But i know i'll get there, just slower than others but this gives me a chance to really relearn how to eat.

I too am in the stall boat. I was sleeved on 9/25 and only down 23 lbs. now I lose a pound and gain it back. It's very depressing!

I too had a very long stall(or a very slow second month). I was sleeved aug 27. My highest weight was 256. My surgery date I was 236. And 2 months out I was 211. 45pounds. Today I am 206. And at the 50 pound milestone. The second month I was sooo discouraged. Because most of that 45 pounds was lost in the first 2 weeks. I talked to some fellow sleevers and discovered that my Protein and Water intake was way too low. You need a minimum of 60g of Protein a day but 70 or more is better! And should also be drinking 60oz of Water a day. The other tip I have is keep your carbs under 40(under 30 is better). I agree with everything lollyfiddy1965 says. Because my weightloss was slower then I liked I also began working out. I am on the elliptical 5x a week for 20-30mins. I do some weights 3x a week. And I play rec volleyball for an hour every Tuesday. And I curl every Friday for 2 hours. I eat a lot of Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, chicken and fish. My typical day is also very similar to lollyfiddy1965. I expect my third month to be spectacular as long as I keep following the guidelines. There are still many days where I struggle to meet the requirements. Max 800 calories, max 40g of carbs. Minimum of 60 protein(aim higher) And min 60 oz of water. Keep track of your intake. I use myfitnesspal...a wonderful tool. Hope our tips help you thru this difficult time! And try to remember that it's 35 pounds you'll never gain back! And stay positive it will come!!! I spent my second month in tears(which I'm told is normal) but I've had a much more positive outlook the last 10 days.

Jennabelle...what's your username on MFP? I'd love to add you to my circle of friends! :)

Jennabelle...what's your username on MFP? I'd love to add you to my circle of friends! :)

jakegirl1