Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 Weeks Post Op And Eating Issues Food Stuck Need Advice!

I need some advice please.

I am 5 weeks post op and sometimes when I eat all of a sudden I feel awful. It feels like the food is stuck and I need to burp. I don't burp and I am miserable until it seems like the food goes down. I get this awful pressure feeling and pain. It isn't a bad pain but the pressure and stuck feeling is not fun. It lasted for about 40 minutes and I almost vomited. I ate chicken when this happened and the nurse told me to wait for a few weeks and try it again.

Now last night I ate fish and again it happened. It only lasted about 15 minutes. I had no nausea but same stuck feeling. Once it subsides I am fine.

I am now scared to eat. Is this normal? I do weight all my food and the stuck feeling does not happen with most foods. Just some foods.

To be completely honest I ate 2 oz of fish and was fine. Then about 2 hours later I ate 3 straight small pretzel's. Once I ate them forget it, I got that sick stuck feeling. I think the issue is that maybe I ate them too fast, which I did and that caused it. I know I should have not had the 3 pretzel's but I did.

As far as the chicken that was the worst episode and I really don't know why it happened.

Does this stuck pressure feeling ever go away? Does anyone else have this probelm?

Small bites and chew, chew, chew. If you're easting too fast, you are probably taking too big of bites as well. This was one of the big things I had to learn.

I am going to make an effort every time I eat to chew well. I did here though that the stuck feeling is temporary. No sure if that is true.

Does this stuck pressure feeling ever go away? Does anyone else have this probelm?

suzqlvg

shortly after i started solids - this stuck feeling DID happen to me.

after i ate - i felt something was "stuck" in my throat - i had that terrible feeling!!!!

It was scary and awful :(

the "feeling" didn't go away, really upsetting - nothing was stuck - it just felt that way :mellow:

come morning - i was fine :)

this happened 3 more times exactly over a short period of time :(

now, i'm perfect!!! ^_^ :lol:

I see your surgery date is only 10 days before mine! Oct 10th here! I am still in pureed food and 1/2 egg makes me satisfied, the full egg makes me full. For lunch today I ate 2 overstuffed raviolis from Chef Boyardee. It's not the best food but the raviolis are high in Protein and very mushy. I can't see myself trying to eat chicken in the next 10 days, I start soft food on the 21st.

It sounds like your sleeve isn't ready for the next phase yet. Go back to pureed foods for a week. If you're problems go away then try soft foods again.

How big are your fish portions? How much chicken are you trying to eat?

P.S. pretzels don't have Protein & you shouldn't be eating them!!! :P I have a friend that is a few months ahead of me with her sleeve. I texted her the other day to see how it was going and she was discouraged because she wasn't loosing very quickly. I asked what she was eating and somehow Oreos made the list! :lol:

Thanks again for the advice. I love this website. I know I am not alone on this journey. Yes twooley you are right about the pretzels. I know I should not have touched any. Well big lesson learned. I really feel much better now after all your words of wisdom. I am sure this is a temporary thing and it will subside. I just need to train myself to eat slowly and chew, chew, chew.

chicken has been the only thing to give me problems as well so far. I'm 6 weeks out. I was told chicken can be too dense or dry. So I have stuck to soft meat still. Last night made pizza on a small ancient grain tortilla, ate half and it was amazing!

I get that feeling a lot to I think it is partially norm

I am 4 weeks post op

- you are eating too fast

- you put too much food in your mouth at once

- you are not chewing your food well enough

- you need to slow down between bites, put your fork down

- puree your chicken first, it will be easier to eat

- WTF pretzels? really?

Thanks Amazon13. Yes I ate 2 of the thin straight pretzels. Don't get all upset about it.. Calm down. I am human still and yes I should not have done that. Geez cut me some slack. I have done very well following Doctor's orders with the exception of eating the pretzels. I work out 4 days a week and am doing very well otherwise. I am not the first to make a mistake and I won't be the last. Trust me the 2 tiny pretzels did not hurt me. It was the eating too fast..

I had the stuck feeling consistently after switching to solids until about the 3rd month. It wasn't too bad and I eventually just got used to it. At 4 months, I do not get the stuck feeling any longer. However, and this is important, I still try an eat the same quantities even though I could eat more. I don't want the portion sizes creeping up on me where it eventually turns into gain.

Thanks Amazon13. Yes I ate 2 of the thin straight pretzels. Don't get all upset about it.. Calm down. I am human still and yes I should not have done that. Geez cut me some slack. I have done very well following Doctor's orders with the exception of eating the pretzels. I work out 4 days a week and am doing very well otherwise. I am not the first to make a mistake and I won't be the last. Trust me the 2 tiny pretzels did not hurt me. It was the eating too fast..

Two pretzels is much better than a bag. We are all leaning new ways of eating. I am not perfect and make mistakes along the way too.

actually you said 3. Yes they could have hurt you. I could care less and far from upset..........I wish you the best.