Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone Else Going Through This?

So I'm in month five now... My surgery is tentatively scheduled for 1/2/2013 (moved it two days b/c I'm going with a MUCH lower deductible insurance selection next year). So that means liquid diet starts around 12/18-ish... Now I'm thinking "I'll not be able to eat this ever again... I'm going to have some now..." and I'm supposed to be on the supervised weight loss program.. problem is im only going up and down a couple of pounds each visit. It's getting harder to focus on losing weight through diet b/c I keep thinking "ooh I want this tonight" or "ooh I want that tonight" etc. Anyone else understand what I'm saying and where I'm coming from? lol

Before my surgery I had the same struggle. I went about it a little differently though, I allowed myself to have what I wanted, but I only ate 1/2 of it. If in a restaurant, I only ate about 1/4th of the dish. Then I just started eating off the side menu, ex...1egg and fruit with 1 slice of toast. It helped with loosing weight. :)

I have been having this problem also. Saying "goodbye" to favorite foods. Thanks to that mentality, I have gained 10lbs since I decided to have the surgery. But one of the advanced member reminded me that I will be able to have all these foods- just in small portions. Keep your chin up and you can do this.

I'm on day four of liquids (surgery on Nov.13th) i went through that and was up on my weight on my 2nd doctors visit! The thing is if you eat everything you will "miss" it will make starting the liquid stage even harder and i also found after i ate the thing i wanted it was just gone and i didnt feel any better just fatter and guilty

Today I've decided to put my foot down. I've only had oikos greek yogurt for breakfast.. and two tv dinners for lunch (doing weight watchers) and will have tv dinners for dinner so i KNOW what I'm getting. I'm allowed 60 points a day and this will put me around 30... going to keep this up as long as I can... hopefully that will get me over the food thing so I can start the liquid diet with no issues.

I think starting now and keeping it up till the full liquid phase dont try to keep it up do it! Start small,i did it by cutting out little things like soda ( 1 year off those and it was hard) coming close to the liquid diet i started to replace one meal with a protien shake and stuck to it then as i got closer still, 2 meals of a Protein shake...

I felt that way 2-3 weeks before surgery, but also knew that if I gained weight my surgeon might not do the operation. I did eat a lot of favorite things, but in moderation. I lost 4 lbs in 2 weeks but ate Indian, sushi, pie, chocolate, Pasta. I just ate some, not all of it.

Now I know I a can have whatever I want eventually, but surprisingly enough I don't think about food all of the time anymore.

Hah! Look at my ticker.. I've gained 10lbs doing the food funeral thing UGH!

I struggled the whole time I was on the 6th month diet plan. My weight was up and down as much as 10 pounds. :wacko:

Luckily my insurance looked past that and I was just approved for surgery. Looking like December sometime. :)

My main focus is walking and high Protein. If I loose I loose I just want to be strong for the surgery. B)

I mean the surgery should (I hope) help with hunger and eating to much. So I feel if we try our hardest and not beat ourselves up we will be fine. If you screw up start over the next day! That's my outlook at least. :rolleyes:

Good Luck! :D

(Yes I love smiley's! :P )

I did the same. I gained about 16 pounds in the months before the surgery. I lost 12 pounds on the pre op liquids and now 4 days post op I am tolerating all things well. Off the pain meds, not hungry and down another 8 pounds. I am not saying the food smells in the house are not great but the liquids, Soups and yogurts are keeping me full and I don't want to tempt fate after the surgery. You will lose so stop beating yourself up and start focusing on the little things, can you taste it but not eat it all? If you eat it today you still won't taste it tomorrow.... What is the post surgery plan? It will be fine just start easing into it all slowly!

My surgeon said I need to lose 15 lbs prior to surgery. My last appt with my primary for my 6 month diet is Nov 27th. I have lost a whole 2 lbs out of the 15. With my first visit with my surgeon I was a little over confident and told him I could easily drop 30lbs..which I always have but now I might be getting a reality check. My primary dr says it just shows that I really do need the surgery. I'm scared to see what my surgeon or my insurance is going to say. I gave up smoking..gave up snacking..cokes..I started exercising and for a fat girl that's a lot! Ugh..

to me it sounds like you have done a lot to try. Like I said I gained and lost and gained and lost during that 6 months. My insurance approved me. I think they want to just see that you have given an effort.

Good luck to you. ;)

You might be surprised how much you loose in the preop diet.

I havent started it yet but I have heard. December can not get here quick enough! :)

Thanks..good luck to you as well..if all goes well I will be having surgery in December too. How long did it take to get your insurance approval?

Well they said it could take up to 15 BZ days but I turned in the last of my paper work to them October 23rd and I was offically approved yesterday. so that was 10 Bz days. Depeneds on the insurance I guess, Of coarse I was a stickler calling the doctors office and the insurance constatly to make sure everyone did what they were suppossed to. I work with insurance companies and I have worked in doctors offices I know how they can be. ;)

My surgeons office said three days! I hope so!