Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

13 Day Post Op Eat

So I'm 13 days post open and today I had one Protein Shake about 1/4 cup of chili 1/2 cup chicken dumpling Soup and 2 oz hard cheese. Does this sound like I'm eating the right amount?

Hopefully not all at the same time? If so, that's too much at once (you should be around 1/2 cup max for any meal) and if not than it sounds like you need to balance out your meals to around 1/2 cup each meal to me.

No not all at one time. Chili was lunch Soup dinner and then cheese before bed because I still felt hungry.

Just worried I am eating too much

If that was your whole day, according to my program you aren't eating enough. I am to do five 1/2 cup size meals a day, Protein being the high focus (60g). You are too early for three or four meals a day and still meet your protein goals IMO

OK well I feel better that I'm not eating too much. I will work on balancing better. How far postop are you?

I'm an odd duck...I am eleven weeks (first surgery) and just past four weeks (second surgery). By my first surgery date I should have no restrictions and should be able to do four 3/4 cup meals a day (according to that docs plans) but I use my second surgery date so I'm on the week five plan of 1/2 cup per meal and five daily (which I hate LOL). I have to be extra careful to keep my Protein up to 60 and to keep my meal size maxed out at 1/2 cup to protect the sleeve repair in the second surgery.

1/2 cup is often a challenge for me but it's where the doc wants me. The thicker the item the more of a challenge. But that amount makes it easier to get in all of my Protein. I'm thinking (not actually doing the math, but guessing) that you are well below 60g's of protein on that day's diet aren't you? protein is a huge help in early healing and you don't want to be low on that at this point.

According to the tracker I use I am at 30 g today. I just ordered some new shakes to change things up. Did you have a leak if you don't mind me asking? I think the reason I worry so much is because I'm not even two weeks out and Dr is OK with a somewhat normal diet and it seems like most everyone else at this point is on liquids

Ya chilli wasn't on my program at your point. I was on full liquids (so like cream Soup, yogurt, milk etc). But different docs do different things. That said, 30g is way too low, even early out as you are. Especially early out actually because you need the Protein to heal. I'd look to cottage cheese (1/2 cup is 16g protein) and salmon which are both high in protein. shakes are ok as well...Oveltine in 0 fat milk is a go to drink when I'm below goal (two cups is just 80 cals and 16 G protein as well). You have room in your day to add a half cup of cottage cheese :) and grate some cheese over that chilli, add a spoon full or two of sour cream, etc. I actually use half a scoop of Unjury unflavored powder in my chilli now and that adds ten g's. You need to get the protein way up or you're going to see massive Hair loss and big weight loss stalls as your body begs you for protein and begins eating it's own supplies :(

Oh and I'm sorry, yes I had a leak. I also had internal bleeding during surgery which caused terrible spasms (which may have caused the leak...who knows). My leak was undetected for too long so I then had other bad complications. Don't follow my path LOL Its been NO FUN!

Good advice. Thank you

Oh my gosh. I'm sure that was horrible. Glad you're doing better now.

Thanks :) And I was going to add...in europe and the UK they start people right out on foods. They also don't rely on Protein Drinks to meet their goals, so while your doc is different than mine...that's not to say that it's not an ok plan. Just different :)

Oh good that makes me feel much better!