Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

High Protein Food Choices--When You Really Don't Like Shakes.....

I don't like shakes--no matter what flavor/brand--I don't like them. My surgeon says that at 3 months out I should be able to get all my Protein from food........

I have found a couple of foods that are staples for me now that really help get protein in..

Deviled Eggs--These are my "go to" for snacking-- 6 grams of protein each.

Special K Protein plus--With sliced strawberries and splenda--10 Grams of protein for every 3/4 cup serving. This really helps me get my protein in.

What foods are you eating to get your protein in?

I don't like shakes--no matter what flavor/brand--I don't like them. My surgeon says that at 3 months out I should be able to get all my Protein from food........

I have found a couple of foods that are staples for me now that really help get Protein in..

Deviled Eggs--These are my "go to" for snacking-- 6 grams of protein each.

Special K Protein plus--With sliced strawberries and splenda--10 Grams of protein for every 3/4 cup serving. This really helps me get my protein in.

What foods are you eating to get your protein in?

I'm about 5 weeks post op. I bought these Marc Angelo meat balls from Walmart. 3 meat balls have about 200 calories (yeah I know that's high) but 22gms protein. Add a little melted cheese on top and easily 30 GM right there. I also like tuna fish cans. Clover leaf makes flavored ones I think they are like 110 calories and 18gm protein. chicken has great amounts of protein. I can usually have a boneless skinless thigh. Low calories and 20+ Gm of protein. I love Greek yogurt. 18gm of protein. If I want it sweet I add some mio. If I was it savory I add some taco seasoning or dry ranch powder. I'm still using shakes but only 1 a day

Have you tried mixing shakes with other things? Your surgeon must have the notion that your sleeve is bigger than it is, or that you have time to nibble on Protein around the clock to reach the usual daily goal of 60+ grams of Protein daily!

Everyone is different but there is NO WAY I could have reached my goals with only solid food until around nine months post op.

I hated shakes until I started mixing my nectar chocolate/vanilla/cappuccino with coffee or tea each morning and drinking it either hot or iced. There *might* still be a chance for you to find something you like. In the beginning I kept trying to work with RTD Proteins and they made me sick to my stomach. I also couldn't tolerate super sweet things and developed lactose intolerance, so it was a challenge for me to find a protein I liked, too.

Foods I used to boost my protein:

Cottage cheese

Seitan (if you like it - I make my own)

Lentil Soup - lentils are a great source of protein with very low fat content and high Fiber

Meatballs are a good suggestion, and turkey or chicken seems to go down easier than ground beef

Instead of just an egg, scramble it with a little cheese and meat if you have room to eat this much

I am more than two years out and until sometime after one year out could not possibly eat more in one sitting than one egg scrambled with cheese or half a cup of cottage cheese. And I still start almost every day with a protein coffee or tea, so that I can reach my personal protein goal of 90+ grams daily.

Good luck,

~Cheri

I like Cytosport whey isolate Protein Drinks. They are clear, fruit flavored, ready-to-drinks. I get them from Vitamin Shoppe. 130 cal, 32 gr Protein, 1 carb/bottle. I pour 1/2 into an empty bottle. I'll fill the bottle I'm going to drink immediately with ice and Water as I prefer it diluted. I usually only drink 1/2 bottle/day now and get the rest of my protein from food. It's also a good way to get in some fluids :)

I'm still fairly new at 6 or so weeks, but I like edamame, Ostrim, salmon, PB2, low fat cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, split pea Soup (11g Protein per .5 cup), boiled egg whites.

Im at 2 months and have no issues w Protein since wk 4 i eat chicken steak fish pork eggs and sometimes when im just not hungry ill have cytosport clear Protein Drink. My doc said at my 4 wk visit to get my protein from food and not to rely on shakes. But everyone is different.

I have one shake in the morning and the rest of my Protein I get from food: eggs, meats (wide variety), greek yogurt, milk, cheese. I find things I like to eat and utilize them in as many ways as I can.

For me I try to drink 2 Premier Protein drinks (60 grams) for both. I found jacks links beef jerkey 1.5 oz bag is 22grams and only 120 cal (I think). eggs make me sick all of a sudden and I used to love eggs!! Lentil Soup is good too, can only get in maybe 1/2 cup.

I love edamame, However my paper work reads dry edamame.... can we eat raw... I love it! Im 6 weeks out tues :)

edamame is so good! and high in Fiber but apparently still not fiber for me....

You know one thing I like to do is buy the frozen salad shrimp and then defrost some in a bowl of Water then eat them raw. Sounds weird but that's what i do when im too lazy to make something and hungry at the moment.

Seitan (if you like it - I make my own)

Wheat meat! Love the stuff. It's an acquired taste. I don't think I've seen anyone else mention it here before. Anyway, glad I'm not the only one who likes seitan.

low fat lunch meat. The Gallo Light Salami has 7 grams of Protein and 70 calories per ounce. Most 98% fat free ham and turkey has 5 grams and 25 calories per ounce.

low fat string cheese. 8 grams per serving.

fat free milk or soy milk. I drink 8th Continent Soy Milk Original. 8 grams per cup and 80 calories.

chicken breast meat has 7 grams per cooked ounce.

Fage Greek Yogurt 0 has 23 grams per cup.

I also like shrimp,crab, scallops, any fish, pork, low fat ground beef.

So you could 60 grams per day like this:

Wake up: Cup of soy milk: 8 grams

Breakfast: 1/2 cup greek yogurt with some fruit and splenda: 12 grams

Lunch: 2 oz Gallo Light Salami and small v-8 juice: 14 grams

Afternoon snack: light string cheese: 8 grams

Dinner: 2 oz. chicken breast with a little BBQ Sauce and 1/4 cup frozen vegtable medley: 14 grams

Before bed: 1 cup soymilk: 8 grams

Total for day: 64 grams

Lynda

I just picked up chicken breast from the grocery store. 1 breast has 41gm of protein! I cooked it all. Had 1/2 for lunch and will have 1/2 for dinner, had 20gms of Protein at Breakfast already so ill easily pass my goal of 60gms today:)

When I want to get a lot of Protein in and use little space, I usually go for the seafood. The best are ahi tuna (not the canned crud), salmon, followed by shrimp and scallops.