Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleep Problems After Menopause

I have had sleep problems for close to 8 years now. First PCP said it was related to hormone changes and prescribed Premarin, I declined and switched PCP's. Next one said it was probably hormone related and sent me for sleep studies, no surprise, diagnosed and have been on a CPaP--which helped somewhat.

Next PCP said to take Lunesta and prescribed 10 mg. at night. I broke it in half and took it for almost a year and did great. He retired. Current PCP does not believe in ANY sleep medications and I am back down to being in bed 9+ hours, awakening 7-11 times a night, averaging 6 hours (and monitoring it with a FitBit).

I have tried everything I know--no caffeine, no alcohol, Benadryl (100 mg. doesn't even faze me) and nothing works.

Right after my sleeve surgery, I slept like a log. Now I am back to 6 hours. My current PCP is retiring so I will be finding another one soon. In the meantime, I have heard exercise helps and have to admit mine has not kicked enough into high gear, but am working on it. Any other suggestions??

Try Melatonin, it's in the Vitamin section. I have had the same issues, I take 2 5mg pills about 30 minutes before bed and I'm out. You can take more if you need to, it's not habit forming.

I had a total hysterectomy 3 and 1/2 years ago and my doctor must have known that I would have sleep problems because he prescribed Ambien for me to start taking right after the surgery. I have taken it ever since then, and unfortunately, I became addicted to it - not in the bad sense like I took more than I needed, but in my mind I could NOT sleep if I had not taken it.

You may have heard stories about people doing weird things while taking Ambien - well I started doing strange things about 6 months ago, like waking up in the middle of the night and making a chocolate milkshake (with the blender) and don't remember a thing about it. I woke up to holding a glass of chocolate milkshake that had poured out all over me and my bedding. Another night I woke up and made a bowl of Cereal, brought it to bed with me and spilled the whole thing on me. So what did I do? Got up and made another bowl of Cereal and yes, spilled that one all over me, too! And I don't remember doing this.

All of this was pre-sleeve - I am 6 weeks out right now but these events contributed to my decision to have the sleeve done. So what now?

Well here's what I have done: I found a psychiatrist here where I live who specializes in medicines and addictions. She deals with people who take anti depressants, sleeping pills, pain medicines etc. She is helping me get off of the Ambien by taking less addictive drugs to induce sleep FOR NOW. She has prescribed Restoril, and also Clonazepam. Our "sessions" are not at all about lying on a couch and telling her my problems, rather, they only last 20 minutes during which I relay to her my progress with the goal of re-training my brain to allow me to sleep without pharmacological assistance. I no longer take Ambien, I only use these newly prescribed drugs as needed. I am trying each night to go without taking anything, but I have not reached the goal of being able to sleep on my own. But at least I have weaned myself off of Ambien and I have quit doing crazy things at night!!!

Good luck with your search to find a way to sleep - you just need to find the right doctor who is willing to work with you!

I have trouble sleeping also, but it is getting better. I've been to a sleep study, and I'm getting my CPap machine next week. That will help even more I'm sure. My PCP prescribed Ambien for me, but after the first night, it worked less and less. After the 3rd pill, I stopped taking it, as it stopped working. What I found that really helps is kind of embarrassing to admit, and I'm not sure I can continue it after I'm sleeved, but if I'm awake after midnight, a small bowl of Lucky Charms with 2-3 tablespoons of sugar with 1% milk will put me right out. I think this works because after the initial sugar high, your blood sugar drops dramatically, hence you get sleepy.