Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So hello all.

Surgery in Mexico in two Weeks. I did tell my coworkers about it and they were supportive but they are expressing their concernes about traveling alone to Mexico. I keep saying I will be fine and don't worry but now its freaking me out..also one coworker says that I could totally do it on my own and I don't weigh that much..blah blah and it made me feel like a quiter and this is really the first time i'm wondering if this is the right thing to do...I lost weight doing insanity for a few months and then quit because I have hip problems but coworkers noticed I lost weight so that's why she said I can do it. God! I'm Confused. I am about 90 to 95 lbs overweight but I am 5'2 so BMI of 42ish and I have been big my whole life.

Having surgery Nov. 17th with Dr Alvarez

Thanks for any feedback. :-)

I went to dr kelly 8/22/12. I was going alone, but my 18 year old son was able to come at the last minute. We felt perfectly safe. The nicer hotels, people can only go up in the elevator if they have a key. I stayed with the people I was with, and didnt venture alone at any time. People say things because they don't know. I don't even go to New Orleans and I live 10 miles away!

coworker says I could do it on my own - 90 to 95 lbs overweight

TaraBugz

if we could loose the weight on our own and keep it off - there would be no need for the sleeve

if you feel "this time" you can loose the weight and keep it off - great, no need for surgery

but if you have continuously lost and gained, yoyoing all these past years - IMO the sleeve being used for assistance only, would be the way to go

good luck w/your wise decision to continue and get the sleeve as planned on 11/17

speedy recovery

You don't go to the "bad" areas at home, so you won't go to the bad areas in Mexico. You know that you need help losing weight, PLEASE don't let someone make you feel bad about having this surgery. If it's cheating, than so is going to the gym, taking diet pills and having Lipo......

Does this person use "age defying" creams? Wouldn't that be cheating too?? People like that have no idea what it's like to struggle with their weight....

So hello all.

Surgery in Mexico in two Weeks. I did tell my coworkers about it and they were supportive but they are expressing their concernes about traveling alone to Mexico. I keep saying I will be fine and don't worry but now its freaking me out..also one coworker says that I could totally do it on my own and I don't weigh that much..blah blah and it made me feel like a quiter and this is really the first time i'm wondering if this is the right thing to do...I lost weight doing insanity for a few months and then quit because I have hip problems but coworkers noticed I lost weight so that's why she said I can do it. God! I'm Confused. I am about 90 to 95 lbs overweight but I am 5'2 so BMI of 42ish and I have been big my whole life.

Having surgery Nov. 17th with Dr Alvarez

Thanks for any feedback. :-)

I had surgery in TJ on Oct 6th.We even ventured into some of seedy areas, such as Zona Norte. This is considered one of the most dangerous areas as this is where the brothels and strip clubs are. I felt safe even in the "scary" areas. I felt 100% safe in the hotel and even the shopping centers.

I am having surgery with Dr A in December. I feel really confident in my decision. He is highly skilled and comes with glowing recommends. You will be in good hands. As far as the folks around you-- everyone will have an opinion. They have a right to theirs, I suppose.

What is YOUR opinion? DO you need the surgery? COULD you do with just diet and exercise? if you COULD, why HAVEN'T you?

People have the idea that you just go and get surgery and then lay around and wait for the lbs to come off. Nah uh. We stil get to WERK. it's just that when we work, it won't be eating nothing good or tasty for weeks or months on end and exercising your tail off for a measly 6 lbs in 6 months and trying to feel good and motivated about that. When we work, the tool works with us.

Hi Tara,

I had about the same amount to lose as you. I've lost count of how many times I've lost and gained weight, always more each time. I couldlose weight, I just couldn't keep it off. In the last year, I I went on at least two serious low-carb diets and would struggle and feel like I was starving, and the scale would barely move. I felt like I had busted my metabolism.

I can't make the decision for you, but I went alone and had no problems. I was only alone at the hotel, and it was a nice one in a safe area. Otherwise, you are driven everywhere so I don't feel there is much to worry about.

I only told one person about my surgery before I went. I didn't want to take a chance of negative feedback, either from someone telling me I didn't need to lose that much weight or about going to Mexico. I have no regrets about the surgery or going to Mexico. Honestly, I live in Las Vegas and my surgeon had more sleeve experience than all the WLS surgeons in the area, for about 1/3 of the price of the cheapest outpatient surgery here.

Thanks everyone...I go up and down and up and down with my weight and yes if I could keep it off I would have already. The only reason I told my coworkers is because they are going to notice my weight loss plus i'm taking two Weeks off so its kind of obvious and we are pretty close we work in a small space all day long. Im not embarrassed or secretive about it but now its getting closer and I think i'm just getting nervous. I know I have to do it for a healthy future but it does suck that people don't understand. I guess I just need to be confident and believe that i'm doing the right and I will be safe in Mexico..thanks all :-)

Mexico is perfectly safe to go alone. The thing is you won't be alone. You will have people to tell you where to go and a driver to take you where you need to go. Ask your hotel to get you a trustworthy cab before you go anywhere and find out what it will cost before you go. You will have plenty of help. If you could lose the weight and keep it off you wouldn't be considering surgery. Do not let anyone make you feel bad about your decision. It's your life and your body. You are the only one that knows what is good for you. I am also short and had 110lbs to lose. I currently have lost 86lbs only 24 more to go. You can do this I promise.

I had surgery aug 28th in Tj Mexico and was perfectly safe. I was with an associate at all times and the doors to the facility were locked at all times. I felt safe. I had a great experience, the care was great... You'll be so glad you did this. I had a LOT of people say they wouldnt go to Mx. for this but i would recommend it to anyone...

This sounds exactly like me. I am ready to make my decision to go with Dr. Alvarez but my family and friends are saying, why don't you just try on your own to lose the weight. you're not that heavy, etc. Mexico isn't safe, that's crazy to "cut off your stomach", blah, blah, blah. Meanwhile, I have hip problems, diabetes, etc. Right now, I am about to cry with frustration. I am 5'6" and weight 234, so my BMI is about 37-38. But I was at 250 and just lost some weight on the preop diet. So I do wonder if I could lose weight, but haven't ever been able to. Just go up and down, but never any REAL significance. I know you all can relate. Just feels hopeless when no one seems to understand.

This sounds exactly like me. I am ready to make my decision to go with Dr. Alvarez but my family and friends are saying, why don't you just try on your own to lose the weight. you're not that heavy, etc. Mexico isn't safe, that's crazy to "cut off your stomach", blah, blah, blah. Meanwhile, I have hip problems, diabetes, etc. Right now, I am about to cry with frustration. I am 5'6" and weight 234, so my BMI is about 37-38. But I was at 250 and just lost some weight on the preop diet. So I do wonder if I could lose weight, but haven't ever been able to. Just go up and down, but never any REAL significance. I know you all can relate. Just feels hopeless when no one seems to understand.

This is why I didn't tell anyone before I went (except my husband and best friend). You have to make this decision for you. I made this decision to save my life...I wasn't willing to let anyone talk me out of it.

I have just been having anxiety about everything lately but I know its going to happen and everything is going to be ok. I have a great support system..mostly encouraging friends and eph those people who think my decision is scary or crazy...I need to be confident and stick with this and believe in my choices cause that's who I am, i'm strong and i'm going to stop second guessing..i'm in charge now. I hope you all do the same..you only live once and we all should have the option to live it healthy and hott!