Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The 11 Make 2 Months

I'm down 45 pounds is that normal I feel like it's not coming off . Sept 11 I went in now nov 11 make two months I'm really depressed.

You're losing over five pounds a week at your current rate. Most people would be doing cartwheels. You should be really proud of what you've accomplished in such a short period of time.

Ty I guess I was thinking it would come off faster but I'm so ready to get all off. I'm been impatient what wrong with me.

I was sleeved the same day and have lost 33 pounds. Seems like you are doing well to me.

You are doing great! Don't forget, most people gain weight during their surgery from all the fluids, anaesthetic, etc. Then after we've lost that and are back at our "surgical weight", we starting losing for real!

Most people lose the greatest amount of weight in their first month or two. And it sometimes slows down a bit after that. As you get closer to your goal weight, it will slow down even more and become much more difficult to lose each pound.

This is due to simple mathematics. At our high weights, our BMR (basal metabolic rate) is high. We require alot of calories just to maintain our current weight (breathing, heart pumping, organs working, etc.). And that's without any exercise! BMR is based on if you stayed in bed all day!

So in the beginning, lets say you're 275 lbs and 5'10" tall and a 40 yr old male (for example). Your BMR is approx. 2400 calories/day. And if you're only eating 600 calories a day, you have a DEFICIT of 1800 calories a day.

A pound of fat is approx. 3500 calories of energy, so you would burn a bit more than a 1/2 lb of fat each day your intake is about 600 calories.

However, as your weight drops, so does your BMR. You require less energy to survive, day to day. And the difference or deficit of calories narrows.

If that same 5'10" 40 yr old man loses 45 lbs (as you have), his new BMR is now approx. 2100 calories. But if he's still eating 600 calories a day (and in a few months your intake usually increases to 800+ calories), the deficit is now only 1300-1500 calories a day. Which is equal to about 0.4 lbs of fat lost. And so on.....

That is why weight loss slows down, and it gets harder to lose the lower you go.

But don't despair! You can do something to change this equation!

There's no room to reduce your food intake (nor should you....in fact you probably need to UP the calories). But there's lots of room to increase your energy expenditure! So exercise! Any form of exercise you like.....work out with weights, do cardio, run, swim, play sports. Just get more active and more intense in your activity. And the deficit will increase again, you'll lose more weight, even as you get smaller and you'll reach your goal (and get a lot healthier too!).

I lost over 25 lbs my first month, only 15 my second month and about 12 lbs each month since then. If I can stay at 12 lbs/month, I'll be ECSTATIC! And I've only just reached my 1/2 point to my goal. So I expect it to take much longer to finish the second half. About 6 months to get here, and probably another 10 months to get the next 90 lbs off.

At least my skin will have time to adapt and I'll have time to adapt too. As it is, I'm already having to get new clothes (I'm becoming a great used clothing shopper!) every 6-8 weeks!

Keep up the great work and don't get discouraged. Especially once you start to really see you body transforming. It will be very motivational, and it takes some time for your head to catch up with everything, believe me!

Ty that makes me feel alot better. I'm glad that I have found this app it has really help me. And ur right on the mind catching up with ur stomach. My brain always tell me lets get a pizza and some ranch and sweet tea and pig out. But not hungry at all I have been eating a lot of crackers and Protein Drinks and Water as much as I can get in. I carry crackers every where with me. I want fish but scared to try it and some more but dont want throw up. That the part I hate is getting sick. I'm not exercise at all and I need to . Ty for ur support it really help.

I was sleeved sept 11th and I'm down 40, started at 332. I'd say you're right on track!

I was sleeved on 9/10 and have lost 25lbs. I thought I was doing great...you are doing amazingly!!

Keep it up! :)