Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 weeks after surgery & I can eat anything

Has anyone been able to eat anything after just 2 weeks of being banded? I felt good and tried introducing new foods every day.

I'm supposed to get my first fill at 6 weeks, but want to get filled now. Has anyone had a fill after just 2 weeks of banding?

Thanks!

Kirsten

Hi Kirsten,

I too, am two weeks post surgery and also feel able to eat anything. I guess the only thing stopping me, is reading about band slippage. Initally I struggled to get runny liquids down, but have no problem any more. My first fill is on November 8th, and it seems like an age away. I think it is wise to remember the advice posted so often on this board, and that is , these weeks are for healing. I know where you are coming from though and just want to get the wheels moving.

Tanya xx

I hope when you say you can eat anything that you aren't really eating everything. The time after surgery is the healing time. You should be on a eating program from your doctor - liquids and mushies. I was very hungry after surgery, but I had to use my will power. :)

Until you get your fill, the earliest I've seen is 4 weeks, you are wide open. You have no restriction so if you are not swollen, you can eat lots. Just don't as you don't want your stomach to be working too hard.

Some doctors give a slight fill at surgery. You might ask your doctor.

I too am just about two weeks out and am starving. I have introduced cottage cheese, humus and yogurt and at no point do I feel satisfied or 'full'. My stomach is always growling and I too was wondering if a fill is possible before the 6 week mark.

I did follow my docs eating guidelines, but I also felt revenous at 2 weeks out. I'm at fill #3 and just now starting to get restriction. I've been told it's probably because I have the VG band and it can take a little longer to hit the sweet spot.

So, it can depend on what band you have, but I think many newbies go thru this same thing.

Terry :)

Its more important to heal thats WHY u need to be on mushies for that length of time, you shouldn't really be eating anything but that, and I felt hungry but at that point I think I was mixing up hunger for thirst try drinking a bit more in between

I'll be blunt -- just because you CAN eat what you want, doesn't mean that you SHOULD.

The scars on the outside of your belly? Your insides look like that, too.

You aren't healed yet and any PBs that are caused by being too tight (getting a fill) or by trying to eat a food you can't tolerate could cause slippage.

Thanks to everyone who gave me a big wake-up call. I'm not sure where my brain was...guess I wasn't taking things seriously enough.

I'm going to do my best to stick to my doctor's guidelines. This morning I had 1/2 cup light ricotta with 1T parmesan.

I hope my band hasn't slipped. I go in for my first check-up on Thursday and will tell the nurses everything that happened.

Thanks again and best wishes to everyone on their weight-loss.