Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A few days after being sleeved I noticed I am not so tired anymore which is great except when it's affecting my sleep. Oh my gosh! Falling asleep has been difficult for me. I used to be in bed by 9:30 or 10:00 pm and now I am up till 1:00, 2:00 or almost 3:00 and I have to really try to fall asleep. Has anyone else experienced this after surgery?

I've had challenges sleeping, and started taking melatonin every night. An hour after taking it, I'm more than ready for sleep, and sleep well all night long!

I have had the exact same problem. I was sleeved on OCt 22 and I can't fall asleep until 5 am. I don't know if its from the sleeve or from the liquid diet. Low calorie liquid diets are known to cause insomnia. I would love to know a solution to this. I have tried melatonin and even that doesn't work. I toss and turn. I'm waiting to hear back from my DR about if he can prescribe me a sleeping pill.

I had this problem for the first three or four weeks after being sleeved. After that I started sleeping normally again.

A few days after being sleeved I noticed I am not so tired anymore which is great except when it's affecting my sleep. Oh my gosh! Falling asleep has been difficult for me. I used to be in bed by 9:30 or 10:00 pm and now I am up till 1:00' date=' 2:00 or almost 3:00 and I have to really try to fall asleep. Has anyone else experienced this after surgery?[/quote']

My doctor actually prescribed pills for insomnia which I thought was really strange. I always had sleeping problems, not apnea though. Just staying asleep. I wake up 3,4,5 times a night. I don't think I slept at all while on the hospital for 3 days. My eyes closed but not a deep sleep. Even now at him I am not sleeping good. I can't get comfortable on my back since I am a side sleeper. I was a little scared though to start the insomnia prescription so I haven't taken any. Just so tired all day from lack of sleep and food, only on Clear liquids I was sleeved 10/23.

I had and still have the same problem. First it was 2 am faithfully then it was 4 am now it is between 4 and 5 am I rest about 45 min during day and I take ambien and I still have this problem.

I try to eat right before bed and add a little bit of carbs and that seems to get me tired. If my last meal is 2 hrs before bed I tend to toss and turn like I did last night. I think I fell asleep around 11pm and I was in bed by 10p. I try to limit naps during the day also

It's just been frustrating because I am usually a good sound sleeper but lately that's all changed. Thank God i'm still on leave but I don't know what I will do next week when I go back to work. I have a Dr appt for tomorrow and I am definitely going to bring this up to him.

I have had the exact same problem. I was sleeved on OCt 22 and I can't fall asleep until 5 am. I don't know if its from the sleeve or from the liquid diet. Low calorie liquid diets are known to cause insomnia. I would love to know a solution to this. I have tried melatonin and even that doesn't work. I toss and turn. I'm waiting to hear back from my DR about if he can prescribe me a sleeping pill.

I'm on pureed foods now but still low calorie, that makes sense though. I would have thought I'd be more tired than usual on a low cal diet but I guess everyone's body reacts differently and mine is just full of energy now.

Honestly I can't fall asleep either but it's from all the anxiety/excitement of an upcoming sleeve event - ME!! Ugh, my brain won't turn off!

lol, I started getting excited and anxious too right before and although I lost some sleep, it wasn't as bad as it is now. Take it easy and rest up for now!

I couldn't post much earlier but yesterday I consumed the lowest amount of carbs since surgery, it was probably around 30g total and that's pretty low for a person who is breastfeeding. I'm starting to think that's why I tossed and turned a lot last night. Other things that could cause insomnia is a low calorie diet and that's what most of us are on especially during the losing phase. For some reason low calories and low carb tend to give me a ton of energy and I sweat like crazy when my body goes into ketosis and then comes the insomnia and waking up super early and hungry. I guess the thing for me to do is keep my carbs around 40-60 and eat a small amount of carbs before bed. I can't add in too many carbs or else I will start getting cravings. I'm not sure if this is why you have insomnia. Hopefully it will get better in time.

I couldn't post much earlier but yesterday I consumed the lowest amount of carbs since surgery, it was probably around 30g total and that's pretty low for a person who is breastfeeding. I'm starting to think that's why I tossed and turned a lot last night. Other things that could cause insomnia is a low calorie diet and that's what most of us are on especially during the losing phase. For some reason low calories and low carb tend to give me a ton of energy and I sweat like crazy when my body goes into ketosis and then comes the insomnia and waking up super early and hungry. I guess the thing for me to do is keep my carbs around 40-60 and eat a small amount of carbs before bed. I can't add in too many carbs or else I will start getting cravings. I'm not sure if this is why you have insomnia. Hopefully it will get better in time.

Thanks! I hope so too! Since it is only a little over 2 weeks since I had my surgery I'm pretty limited on carbs, actually mostly Proteins and the carbs I usually get are in yogurt or cottage cheese or veggies but yeah, they are pretty low at this point and that probably has a lot to do with it too because prior to my surgery I'd get soooooo sleepy after eating carbs. Nothing like a plate full of carbs to know me out then! lol Now I don't have that and I'm eating only 400-600 calories and my body just doesn't know how to react! lol

I never posted about this because I thought my insomnia was from something else! I'm 4 months post-op but for the first 6-8 weeks I had very little energy during the day and couldn't sleep at night. I wasn't sure what was the cause and what was the effect. I'm a teacher so I'm used to getting into a weird sleep pattern over the summer so I thought maybe that was it but this summer it seemed a little extreme. There were some nights I couldn't sleep, even after melatonin, and I'd go to the gym to swim laps at 4am.

Then I would stress about not sleeping if I had to get up early or was sleeping with someone else. That just made it worse. I do think the melatonin eventually helped. I also tried to some relaxation techniques too. I found that I needed to "wind down" before bed, turn lights, tv, computer, etc off, then maybe read or listen to some soft music.

Good luck! But I think things should return to normal.

I am so glad that this wasn't just me. I was sleeved on the 23 of October. I can't go to sleep. Last night I tossed and turned to about 5 in the morning. Tomorrow I have an appointment with my Doctor. That is my first question. I need my sleep. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ