Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So who all had to quit smoking before they were able to have the procedure? I have been a smoker for 12 years now. Unfortunately I picked up the habit when I was 14. Well tomorrow is going to be day 1 of kicking it to the curb. I am thankful for it but also dreading being forced to do it. I decided to pick up crocheting again so I can do something with my hands. What all did you guys do to help kick the habit?

I'm also facing the same issues. I promised myself I would be done by 12/1/2012. I'm also interested in any advise!

Thanks for posting this.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

People told me one of the things I have to do to have a baby is to stop smoking. One day I got up and said to myself when I finish this pack it will be my last one and it was. It was hard the 1st three weeks. Have a good reason to stop like being healthy and remind yourself every time you want to smoke. You can do it!

E cigarette has worked for me been smoking 10 years :( sad. But ill be 26 Nov 5th and surgery date is Nov 6th it is very very hard but healing good and being healthy is so worth it.

Sent from my Samsung Admire using VST

Congratulations on quitting!!! Yeah if I don't quit I cant have the sleeve in 3 weeks, So that is motivation enough for me.. Hmm stay smoking and live the unhealthy lifestyle I am living now? Or change myself for the better... Lol, no brainer there.

I am going cold turkey.. I did it 7 months last time, might as well do it again but this time never pick it back up.

I am not a smoker but I had a coworker quit smoking and she used Chantix. It really helped her quit. Did your doctor offer a perscription for it? I would look into that if I were you.

My doctor mentioned Chantix but I am against the side effects. I hear a lot of horror stories when it comes to having nightmares and severe depression, both of my parents being one of them. I just chose to do it the healthier way and not take a prescription if it isn't needed :) plus I for one don't want to go crazy if I don't have to. The nicotine withdrawals can help me with that one.. 3 days is all they say and after that it is just mental.

Wellbutrin works!! Ask your doctor about it. A lot of people prefer it to chantix. I've heard some horror stories about chantix. After a few weeks on Wellbutrin you won't even crave a cig. And you will be really happy!

My doctor mentioned Chantix but I am against the side effects. I hear a lot of horror stories when it comes to having nightmares and severe depression' date=' both of my parents being one of them. I just chose to do it the healthier way and not take a prescription if it isn't needed :) plus I for one don't want to go crazy if I don't have to. The nicotine withdrawals can help me with that one.. 3 days is all they say and after that it is just mental.[/quote']

The horror stories are true. I took chantix for 3weeks and just threw away the last of it. I will never take it again. Yup 3 days to leave your system and u should be all set. LOL def easier said than done

Wellbutrin works!! Ask your doctor about it. A lot of people prefer it to chantix. I've heard some horror stories about chantix. After a few weeks on Wellbutrin you won't even crave a cig. And you will be really happy!

My friend takes this everyday for depression and still smokes

I used champix (Chantix), and it works, the only problem was i took it post-op, and i think i couldnt take it and had severe nauseausness, then i halved the dosage and it works fine..

I hve strange vivid dreams though.. not too bad a side effect for me ;)

But i tried quitting on my own many times, and obviously failed before resorting to this.. It works fine for me..

I think everyone should try to quit on their own before considering this...

Champix is like the VST, tis a tool, not really a miracle... You've still got to work for it...

You can still smoke while on Champix, its like we can still eat unhealthy stuff after VST...

But what you wnt to achieve with the tool is in your own hands...

Good luck to all quitting smoke!!

it's the greatest achievement for me in my entire life...

My health has improved significantly in just 3 weeks after quitting.. and i keep myself occupied by excercising..

It's a win win situation...

Well it's been 4 days since I have smoked... Just cold turkey. I haven't cheated or anything. The only issue I had were the chemical withdrawals. Dizzy, anxious, nauseous and a little moody. Driving to and from work kinda sucks but it is slowly getting better. I didn't think it would be this easy but since the doctor is giving me no choice that is motivation enough...

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I was a smoker for 18 years!!! and I also tied chantix 1 year ago and I had no problems with it but 6 months later I started smoking again so that $165 I threw away :/ and on 9/25 I quit cold turkey I did buy e-cigarettes and that was a lot of help so best advise keep doing what u doing and keep busy always. Good luck ;-)

Tomorrow will be my 2 week smoke free mark and it was surprisingly easy. I had made up my mind to quit, told my fiancé that the 2 in my pack were the last I'd have and he said "you can say that later because I just bought you a pack.". I quit cold turkey and it was so much easier than anything else. I avoided driving since that's when I smoked the most but it's fine now. I get the occasional random craving. Not to smoke but have something in my mouth. I drink Water or chew ice, maybe a piece of SF gum if it doesn't fade after a minute or so. It's really not that hard. I finished my last smoke, febreezed EVERYTHING, and packed up my ashtrays and lighters immediately. You can do it!! Days 3 and 7 are the worst. After that, it's gravy :)