Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi I'm Tram,

Decided to get the sleeve done after I went to visit my parents for a mini vacation. I came home feeling like I had to change my life or I was going to destroy my family.

My father was I big guy when I was a kid, not fat but had a beer gut and he would eat the most outrageous things. I learned that he had high blood pressure since he was in his 20's and then when he was about 48 yrs old he developed diabetes.

He didn't do anything about his weight until he was 65 and had his first heart attack. Within the last 10 yrs my father has developed vascular dementia which puts such stress on my mother. I was never skinny but I did have a nice figure which did wonders for my self esteem growing up. I didn't worry about the extra pounds I put on after each kid because my husband didn't care. So I kept telling myself that as long as it didn't bother him it didn't bother me. After I turned 40 I started to really feel the extra pounds so I tried all those diets but nothing made me motivated enough to change until I saw my father and realized I was going down the same path as him. I can't do that to the people I love.

I'm 5'4 and 215 lbs. My doctor told me I don't need to do any pre op diet, just stay low fat. I'm also having my gallbladder taken out.

I haven't decided which Vitamins to buy and I haven't bought any Protein shakes. Pre Op date is 11/6 so I better get my stuff together by then.

I'm really confused why the doctor said I don't need to diet before hand. Has anyone else heard of that?

Thanx,

Tram

I had a three day diet. Just yogurt.

Yup. My doc didn't put me on a pre-op diet. The program I went through pre-op with the hospital suggested a pre-op diet but the surgeon didn't care one way or the other.

Every surgeon is different - many require pre-op diets to shrink the liver - others don't. My surgery is 11/6 too!! :)

Most doctors are different, some say liquid diet, some say low carb high Protein diet, some say horseradish... Lol, only the crazy ones say horseradish...

It seems like you havent had sufficient help from your medical staff, I'd recommend seeing a nutritionist if you haven't already.

For Vitamins, I was recommended to take a normal daily Vitamin, however, I was told to buy chewables for the first month after surgery. As far as Protein, that's an area I feel I have some room for improvement, however I did buy a sample pack from syntax nectar and have just started that. I have also been drinking Isopure and think that will be the best thing for me seeing as I'm not a huge dairy or shake/smoothie fan.

I'd try and stick to a high protein diet, but realistically would probly recommend calling a nutritionalist and consulting them about it.

And happy 11/6 op day! That's my op day too!

my dr, sid only clear fluids and yogurt 3 days prior to surgery

I didn't have to diet before my surgery either.

Every surgeon is different - many require pre-op diets to shrink the liver - others don't. My surgery is 11/6 too!! :)

They are all different. I had one for two weeks w veggies. It was a bear. Be happy!

I feel the same way when I go home. My dad's very overweight, diabetic, has to shoot up insulin regularly. They both have hypertension, high cholesterol, my mom's had a hip replacement, all the bones in her feet fused, and now her spine's shot to hell and she needs two knee replacements. They've both eaten it up at restaurants since they've retired and it shows. Mom lost 40 lbs. but it was really too late with her. Arthritis and wearing heels to work all those years ruined her. I felt like I was 39 going on 60, and I knew I couldn't do it on my own. Now I feel like I've got a second chance at life that my mom and dad never got.

I didn't really have a pre-op diet either, just healthy eating and liquids for three days prior with nothing to eat the night before. My doc said my liver shrunk up just fine. :) Good luck, Tram. Let us know how it goes!!

I know where your coming from, my mom is now boarderline diabetic, high cholesterol, my dads side, my uncle and grandfather have had heart attacks, and grandpa a stroke. My gramps on my moms side had triple bypass, my aunt needed a shunt in herartery sure to being blocked, grandma had type 2 diabetes. Its.crazy but when you start tto look at the whole picture its scary. Right now they have me trying to lose weight low fast low sugar diet which I've lost 14 lbs, my pre op diet is liquid and protien.