Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When Will I Not Be Hungry?

Have not adjusted yet to the empty stomach feeling is okay. I am still having hunger issues as well. Water seems to go through me pretty quickly. It has not helped with hunger yet. I am surprised I am feeling hungry two hrs after a meal. Hopefully the hungry will decrease as my solid protien in is able to increase.

I am so glad that someone was brave enough to voice this issue. I specifically looked for this question and the replies as I too, am starved. I had surgery Last Monday, October 22, 2012, and was even hungry post-surgery! Which I couldn't believe and thought it was just pain that I was interpreting as hunger, so ignored it. Today is Sunday the 28th and I had a scrambled egg for Breakfast, of which I only ate half and two hours later my stomach is grumbling and i am starving! One of the reasons I had this surgery is because I always failed diets due to hunger (what I call "pit" hunger), and one of the benefits of VSG was that most people weren't hungry and were satisfied with small portions allowing them to lose the weight. I scoured all of the info I printed out regarding VSG and this issue is never addressed, or maybe I never found it. I am also very lactose intolerant and have taken myself off of all dairy including my whey Protein Shakes, for fear of getting dehydrated from the ( and I apologize for this..) "trots". So I would love for someone to comment who had this problem and give reassurance that it does get better. Sharon

My doctor, who is a no excuses kind of guy, asked me, "So, what happens to you when you are hungry?" I had no idea how to answer. He said, "Nothing."

We are so accustomed to thinking of feeling any emptiness in our stomachs as something that needs to be remedied. It is ok feel hungry sometimes, but we are retraining ourselves to our bodies needs vs our wants. I'm still working on this part which is mental for me. The sleeve is a huge help.

My doctor, who is a no excuses kind of guy, asked me, "So, what happens to you when you are hungry?" I had no idea how to answer. He said, "Nothing."

We are so accustomed to thinking of feeling any emptiness in our stomachs as something that needs to be remedied. It is ok feel hungry sometimes, but we are retraining ourselves to our bodies needs vs our wants. I'm still working on this part which is mental for me. The sleeve is a huge help.

I get that nothing "happens" when we feel hungry but it sure isn't a comfortable feeling. In fact it's quite annoying and distracting. I think it's really easy for surgeons and others who haven't experienced the surgery, weight issues, etc. to make somewhat flippant remarks like that. Many just don't/haven't experienced the discomfort of feeling hungry and knowing that you shouldn't do anything about it for another 2-3 (or more) hours.

Hopefully our brains, hormones, etc. will reset quickly - I just want to be "normal." :)

To add to this I think that because I had a lapband revision to sleeve I had learned how small portions keep you full and the difference between real hunger and not. Please understand that I speak as a former fat person too. It is very hard to go from a large quantity eater to eating only two ounces, knowing that you are full and then having to understand that you DON"T need more food in two hours. I think the work "starving" is a little strong here, are you really starving? People living in third world countries are starving. I think we are so focused in the beginning on food that yes it is very difficult for some to differentiate between the two. It's not hunger.

If anyone would care to answer: what is your hunger queue? My stomach makes noises, but it is not hunger just gurgling noises, not hunger.

I think it's really easy for surgeons and others who haven't experienced the surgery, weight issues, etc. to make somewhat flippant remarks like that. " :)

That presumes that bariatric surgeons don't know because they haven't experienced it. I think people might be very surprised to find that some of our surgeons do understand because they have been a bariatric patient, too.

That presumes that bariatric surgeons don't know because they haven't experienced it. I think people might be very surprised to find that some of our surgeons do understand because they have been a bariatric patient' date=' too.[/quote']

I had the surgery and I don't find it flippant at all. To me hunger means my body needs fuel. I burn fat to keep going with my daily life. I eat Protein to replenish my lean body tissue.

It's perfectly understandable that many people here are not in touch with healthy feelings of hunger or satiety. I certainly was not. What's surprising is that so many people are in denial about this fact.

I can't promise any of you will never feel hunger again, but I can say that after 5 months of eating "controlled" portions it is much much easier, and my appetite is under control.

Not sleeved yet. Does the fullness feel like you're stuffed? Someone please describe.

Not sleeved yet. Does the fullness feel like you're stuffed? Someone please describe.

It can, but after surgery the goal is to never feel this again. No need to stuff your sleeve. Eat to satiety and then quit. If you're like me and you don't recognize satiety, then measure your portions. Learn how much food will tide you over till the next meal and measure out that much at mealtime.

That depends on how well you are at just eating the right amount. It takes everyone a different amount of time to determine how to interpret the full signal and dare not eat another bite or two. The following is from my experience and everyone may have different experiences. None of this information was explained to me in the right way or at all by pre surgery nutritional classes.

For me, it took about 6 weeks after starting on solids. If you stop correctly, a full filling will feel satisfied but not stuffed. If you do not stop correctly, you will feel discomfort, pain or any number of different signals. I ended up getting slimes (lots and lots of saliva in your mouth from your stomach) all the time and needing to throw up food on a few occasions because of the discomfort. That is why the sleeve really is a tool to help you learn how to eat the small portions that we need for energy. We eat to live not live to eat.

For me, a good "meal" size is 2-3 ounces of Protein and maybe some vegetables. For example, I am satisfied with one scrambled egg and 2 small chicken sausage. It is just right. I can never seem to eat 2 scrambled eggs and end up giving left overs to my dog.

Good luck on the journey and know that there are many here that can help by answering questions or by providing support.

I think I'm in the mourning stage of this journey! I'm 2-1/2 weeks post-op and I miss chewing food (especially salads!). Nothing tastes right to me either and the little bit of pudding or cream Soup I do eat is boring me to tears! Puree starts on Thursday, I hope I can tolerate at least 1/4 cup of food. I try to keep thinking how I'll look and feel, but I love to cook and bake and I feel like I'm never going to eat anything I enjoy ever again! I'm cooking Thanksgiving dinner for my family-this should be fun! Oh well, time to stop pity party! My niece was just evacuated with her 3 babies from hurricane Sandy and is on her way over! Food should be the least of my worries for crying out loud!

Are you tracking your food/calories? I am tracking on myfitnesspal.com and even though i do get hungry, i am definitely eating less. You may be doing better than you think.

It can' date=' but after surgery the goal is to never feel this again. No need to stuff your sleeve. Eat to satiety and then quit. If you're like me and you don't recognize satiety, then measure your portions. Learn how much food will tide you over till the next meal and measure out that much at mealtime.[/quote']

I have noticed that i need to weigh and measuremy food as well.

I have noticed that i need to weigh and measuremy food as well.

I measure absolutely every meal. Always no more than 3 ounces a meal.