Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

120Lbs Unreasonable?

I was wondering if expecting to lose 120 lbs is unreasonable. I'm currently 274, my beginning weigh in was 286, but I'm trying to lose weight before hand to give myself a boost and help the doc out with less ab fat to deal with. Thanks Guys.

I am wanting to lose 150 lbs. I have already lost about 89 lbs so far so I think the goal is attainable.

My goal is to loose 150lbs and I am currently down 63, and lost 25 of those pre-surgery. Keep up your good work my biggest regret is I did not loose more in the 6 months of classes and appointments I had to complete to have surgery.

I've lost 123 pounds from my highest weight in just over a year. I don't think 120 pounds is unreasonable at all.

Sure hope so bc I need to lose about 150 and Dr and psych all said it was doable.

my dr told me that my goal was 'lofty'. i think that they base this on averages mixed in with the folks that think they will magically melt away without putting any effort into it. that, or they just say that so that when you do reach your goals, you feel like you are a rockstar, and they are your promoter!

anyway, i told my dr that my goal was to be anywhere between 175 and 220. he said "that's kinda a lofty goal, but, with some hard work, you can do it". now, in order for me to be at that weight, that calls for a 150-198 pound loss. right now, i am 5 months post op, and have lost 140. 5 months, and 10 pounds away from my 'lofty' goal. so, yep, if you work for it, i say that 120 is definately doable.

good luck

Thanks guys. I feel hopeful, my first goal is 180 but would love to be 160. So thank you guys for all your responses :D

I sure hope not. I am aiming for 110 lbs (250 to 140) and was told that my goal was "very reasonable". I think my chart weight is supposed to be in the 120's, but I looked awesome when I was at 140 and my BMI will be "normal". I get a little giddy just typing that :-)

OMG theoldmusicbox! That's amazing!!! What are you doing for exercise?

yes it is! there are people here (like me) who have a lot more than that to lose! it's all about the effort you put into it. You will get out of this journey what you are willing to put into it. :)

Good luck!

Omg musicbox... how did you do it!!!!!?????

OMG theoldmusicbox! That's amazing!!! What are you doing for exercise?

Omg musicbox... how did you do it!!!!!?????

i started out by following my NUT's guidelines adamantly. pre-op, she gave me guidelines and the best thing i found to help was a program called ADVOCARE. NO, i am not promoting that program. i never used the shakes or supplements, but the recipes used in it were really close to her guides, so, i used recipes from the advocare site. i also started walking everyday. i started slow. first, 1/4 mile 2x a day, then 1/2 mile, etc. etc till i started walking about 2 miles a day. i was able to lose 50 pounds between april 1 and june 5. i got my sleeve on june 5. after i finished the complete suckfest of the liquid diet and moved on to the other fazes, i started researching different ideas for food because i had gotten bored with the advocare recipes. thank God, i discovered a site called http://www.emilybites.com/ the recipes on her site are a heaven send. it is real food. Good food. and there is so much there that my family doesn't get bored.

i also use http://bariatricfoodie.blogspot.com/ alot for ideas.

anyway, after i healed up to the point that i could handle it, i started doing more exercise bike and moved on to cardio. now, my brother (who looks like a white vin diesel) designed a circuit training style workout for me. it takes 30 minutes 3 days a week. then on 1 day i do inclined treadmill for 30 min, and 1 day i do 30 min ex bike. i've been through 3 stalls now. a 1 week long, a 2 week long, and i just finished a 3 week stall. but, as long as we work for it, it will happen.

i have to say that i owe a lot of my success to my wife and kids. they let me take over the kitchen and i only cook things that i am able to eat. my wife is happy because a) that means i do the grociery shopping and cooking, and (B) since we are all being more active and eating better, she has lost 65 pounds just being my support.

trust me. it takes work. but it can be done. we just needed a tool to help. finding food that is healthy and at the same time, does not suck, made all the difference in the world for me. that, and getting off of that stupid couch.

you got this, you can do it too. and hey, if nothing else. i'm rooting for you!

good luck

Um, I need to lose 230! Im down about 80, so Im about a third of the way there. I know that since I started much heavier than you, it makes sense i need to lose more, but you should be fine with 120!

I am 10 months out and have lost 110. I have 32 more to go. You can do it I promise!