Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Was Considering Lapband, But Dr Suggested This.

Hi,

When I started looking into WLS I had always focused on lapband because it seemed the safest and not so drastic compared to the gastric bypass. I've started my rounds to get approved and my dr told me he doesn't recommend lap band anymore because he's taken more out then he's put in, in the last year and recommends the sleeve for me. I'm pretty nervious to have 75% of my stomach completely gone. Did anything else have similar worries or scenarios?

Of course! I was a nervous wreck...but best decision I have ever made! Go for it!

I went in to see about lap band as well my BMI was 40 and after the consult I was SOLD on the sleeve. I am 6 weeks out and very happy that I did this. After more education I can't see living long term with something foreign in my body that needs regular fills and can slip or leak. I know that my weight problems were not going to be "fixed" and then I could remove the band. This is going to be a life long issue for me so I had no problem with the sleeve. The doctor also told me he had done over 1,500 and not one person wanted it reversed, that helped me too. Good luck to you no matter which one you choose!

I was first considering the Lap Band as well but I started researching the Sleeve which I seem to think is a better choice. Yesterday, I had my third appointment with the surgeon and I told him that I had changed my mind to the Sleeve and he asked me why. I told him first when I attended the support group a few weeks ago no one in the group had the Lap Band nor was waiting to have it done...everyone either had the Sleeve or RNY. He did state that he believes I made the right decision and many of the Lap Bands their practice has performed are being revised to the Sleeve. He said I would have much more success with the Sleeve and their practice has only had one patient with a leak which was fixed by a revision to RNY. He did explain many of the different complications patients have with the Lap Band like slippage, port revision and body rejection. I have found an abundant amount of support in this decision from many people on this forum as well as the support groups offered. I wish you the best of luck with whatever decision that you choose!!

Thanks to everyone who replied! I'm going to meet with the nutritionist next Friday so ill keep reading everyone else's stories on here and keep learning more. :)

My story is very similar, I have been thinking about the lap band since 2008 After the birth of my daughter. Finally this year I said no more excused for me and begin my journey to a new healthy me. My first consult was with a doc of was not comfortable with, he was letting y make this choice for the lap band didn't give me much information the. At the end of the appointment he states oh you do have a third option the gastric sleeve. The one good thing he did for me was his advise to do some researching so I came home and goggled my little fingers away.

I ended up switching my doc but my up my mind that the sleeve will be the best choice for me. I attended a information seminar early this month and that sealed the deal for me. I learned then the lap band is being done less and less these days and removal Is on a steady increase.

I had my first consult with my Nut today and the consult with my doc who is great. I guess the 45 dollar co pay and month I waited to see the first doc was will worth the visit. Hopefully I will get sleeved by may 2013!

Good luck to you!

I had the lap band put in 4 yrs ago. Due to a slip I had it removed 2 weeks ago. I lost about 75 lbs with it but I want to lose a lot more. I could have had the band repositioned but my surgeon, Dr Abkin suggested that it may be time to think about a revision instead since I had a lot more weight to lose. He didn't think the lap band would get me the results I was looking for. I knew initially when I got the band that it may not give me the results I wanted but I couldn't wrap my head around having such a drastic surgery like the bypass. Now I am glad there is an adoption for the sleeve. While it is a permanent surgery because they remove 85% of your stomach I like the fact that they don't have to reroute intestines etc. I am scheduled to be sleeved Dec 10th. While I am very nervous about surgery I am completely confident in my surgeon's abilities and I am sure everything will go well.