Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeved July Second, Still Can't Eat :(

I am over three months post surgery and still can't eat. Any food, hard or soft gets stuck in my throat. After a while, the gag reflex kicks in and up it comes. I have had an upper gi and a barium swallow and there are no blockages. I have seen a gastroenterologist and he is saying it is some kind of motility issue in my esophagus. I am having another test done that measures the muscle contractions in my throat. I am getting really worried now. I am pleased with the weight loss but I have lost 101 lbs in less than 4 months and now my hair is falling out!

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, what did they do to resolve it?

Mike, that is crazy! I have had a leak that I'm nursing since surgery. I think your situation is worse. Can you go to someone for a second opinion? Can you drink Protein shakes/liquids that will stay down?

I am sorry you are going through this?

Wow! So sorry , this must be so hard an frustrating! I pray it gets resolved soon!

We were sleeved on the same day and have lost about the same amount of weight. I hope that your sleeve experience gets better and that you are free from any complications. My hair started falling out a few weeks ago, it then reversed in last week and is not coming out so much.

I got the results back from the last test where they put a tube down my esophagus and measured the motility. They said everything was normal. I'm really confused! Every test result has come back normal yet food still gets stuck in my throat. I've lost 102 pounds so far with no exercise. Nearly five months later and still can't eat and the doctors say all the tests are normal and suggest it may be all in my head. GRRR!! I'm pleased with the weight loss but am really tired of broth and g2 gatorade! The doc says he's not had anyone with this side effect. Surely someone has had this and can help me!

I got the results back from the last test where they put a tube down my esophagus and measured the motility. They said everything was normal. I'm really confused! Every test result has come back normal yet food still gets stuck in my throat. I've lost 102 pounds so far with no exercise. Nearly five months later and still can't eat and the doctors say all the tests are normal and suggest it may be all in my head. GRRR!! I'm pleased with the weight loss but am really tired of broth and g2 gatorade! The doc says he's not had anyone with this side effect. Surely someone has had this and can help me!

Have you tried eliminating dairy? I was hospitalized for 4 days a few weeks ago for the same reason. Upper GI just showed that my stomach was narrowed and irritated. They put me on 40mg of Prilosec twice a day and I still couldn't eat. I stopped all dairy and within 24 hrs I could eat and drink soooo much better. I've never had a problem with dairy before but now that I'm sleeved I do. I hope you feel better!! Congrats on your weightloss!