Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Can Cause A Leak?

Post op 6 days and doing well so far. What can cause a leak? Do I need to be careful bending, etc. Can food cause a leak?

Trying to not be over confident with my comfort.

Virtually anything that goes into your stomach can cause a leak. My surgeon told us to not consume ANYTHING that could not pass through a fine strainer for 3 full weeks. That meant no pills, no fruits (like strawberries, bananas, etc.). The one leak that he did have was a patient that ate 2 tablespoons of yogurt during her first week.

That said, there are tons of posts on here about people that went to Mexico or whose surgeons gave more liberal advice and were eating applesauce and oatmeal the second day.

Personally being a nurse and having managed patients with gastric leaks, I considered it a small sacrifice to be on liquids for 3 weeks then to pureed for another 3. I also stopped all meds and only took liquid Tylenol after the second week. I am nearly 8 weeks now and still taking liquid Vitamins or chewable Biotin and still on softer foods. I want this to heal for real!

My worst fear!!! I feel like when I drink its in my back lol! I'm a lol crazy paranoid that way lol

Had surgery on June 26 and I couldn't hold liquid down for more than 10-15 min about 10 days after surgery. Went to see my doc (1st appt after surgery was July 9), he sent me for an x-ray and found no leaks (thank God) but could not figure why I was not holding liquid so he put me on an previcid(ish) medication - I can't pronounce the word - now almost 4 months post op I'm doing fine and was given permission to try any type of food except raw foods and if I can tolerate (the first time) it I can put it on the list to eat - but sparingly....if I can't tolerate it - LEAVE IT ALONE - FOR GOOD.

Continued success to you :)

Virtually anything that goes into your stomach can cause a leak. My surgeon told us to not consume ANYTHING that could not pass through a fine strainer for 3 full weeks. That meant no pills' date=' no fruits (like strawberries, bananas, etc.). The one leak that he did have was a patient that ate 2 tablespoons of yogurt during her first week.

That said, there are tons of posts on here about people that went to Mexico or whose surgeons gave more liberal advice and were eating applesauce and oatmeal the second day.

Personally being a nurse and having managed patients with gastric leaks, I considered it a small sacrifice to be on liquids for 3 weeks then to pureed for another 3. I also stopped all meds and only took liquid Tylenol after the second week. I am nearly 8 weeks now and still taking liquid Vitamins or chewable Biotin and still on softer foods. I want this to heal for real![/quote']

Where did you find chewable Biotin? How much are you taking?

Thank you kindly,

Sannah

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Where did you find chewable Biotin? How much are you taking?

Thank you kindly,

Sannah

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I use Solaray Biotin 5,000 micrograms. I purchase it at Sprouts (a natural food store in the South) but have seen it at GNC. It costs $15.99 a bottle for 60 lozenges. I take one twice a day, which might be overkill but I figure since it is a water-soluble Vitamin, I will excrete what I don't use. I plan on using it for 4-6 months, as I do NOT want to lose my hair!

What are the symptoms of a sleeve leak?

I did not have one but I think the first signs are severe shoulder pain, elevated temp and rapid heartbeat. Leaks can happen during surgery, and they do not show up until days later. There is a thread on this forum about complications.

where do they sell chewable Biotin

I bought my chewable Biotin at Walmart. Cherry - yum.

Leaks can be caused by over eating, over exertion, etc. But they can also just happen! I had one, I followed every rule to a T, my dietician even told me I was being too strict with myself. Low and behold, the whole time I had a leak. My Dr said most likely it was there from the beginning (think a missed staple or something) but the swelling keeps it shut in the beginning. Left shoulder pain was my only sympton other than a super high ferritin level which they referred me on to a hematologist for (thinking lung cancer) and when he did the CT scan of my chest, they saw the abscess. The next day my Dr said he couldn't believe I wasn't sick - then bam, the day after I woke up with full blown pneumonia.

Every doctor (and, frankly, patient) has an opinion on what causes and doesn't cause leaks. The truth is, short of anything EXTREME, no one knows for sure.

Some surgeons are extra, super conservative (weeks and weeks of pre-op and post-op liquids), while others are less so (no puréed stage and regular foods early). Leaks are thankfully a relatively rare complication and there is no proof that either approach is "right" (even though each side will argue their case vehemently!).

The best you can hope for is to choose a surgeon with a good track record and trust his or her advice.

Every doctor (and' date=' frankly, patient) has an opinion on what causes and doesn't cause leaks. The truth is, short of anything EXTREME, no one knows for sure.

Some surgeons are extra, super conservative (weeks and weeks of pre-op and post-op liquids), while others are less so (no puréed stage and regular foods early). Leaks are thankfully a relatively rare complication and there is no proof that either approach is "right" (even though each side will argue their case vehemently!).

The best you can hope for is to choose a surgeon with a good track record and trust his or her advice.[/quote']

GeauxForIt you are so right! Surgeons are all different. Reading this thread kinda freaks me out. I'm 3 weeks postop and I am still in a lot of pain - with movement mostly, or cough, or sneeze. My doc sent me home with Vicodin and pureed foods, not to mention Vitamin horse pills. Friday my doc checked my amylase level, CBC , and chemical profile. Then ordered a CT scan of my abdomen & pelvis (even tho my pain is in my rib cage). The only abnormal result was a slightly elevated amylase level . I'm so frustrated and just praying this pain goes away soon!

Isaacsgram, I was sleeved Sept 28. I hope you find out soon what is causing pain. It blows my mind because I have felt NO pain whatsoever. Even in the hospital, the only pain I felt was the stinkin drain. It was horrible. My surgeon must have done an amazing job because as my husband would tell you, I am a wuss. I pray you get better really soon..