Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Choosing A Goal Weight

I'm just curious how you all chose your goal weights.

I'm doing a little bit of bouncing on this one, as I've never been below 182#, in my post-puberty body. The charts & formulas all put me around 135-147#, with a minimum low of 121#. Lately, though, I've found some "success stories" both WLS & non-WLS, who were about the same height & start weight as me... One is now 125# & frankly, looks skeletal to me. Another is 175 & still going but looks really good. And there's another that's abt 155 & looks good but has lumps of skin.

I guess maybe I won't know until I get there...?

weight.png 347*294/285/135 (*347HW/294SSW)

My doctor had me set my goal based on the weight I need to be in order to have a normal BMI. For me, at 5'6, that's 145.

There were 2 major factors in determining my goal weight.

1. When I was my healthiest I wast 155lbs. This was my walking around weight when I was very active & wrestling.

2. More coincidentally 155 also is 25.0BMI for me this is the highest weight in the normal category.

I am 5'6" normal ranges from 112-155.

My surgeon didn't have a set approach to goal-setting. Instead, he asked me where I would like to be, and then we talked about whether or not that was a realistic goal, based on his experience with the surgery. Originally, I set my goal at 180-185, because I could remember being at that weight (a billion years ago!), and remembered feeling like I looked "great" when I was there. My surgeon felt that that might be a bit of a "stretch goal" for me...based upon my starting weight (which was 330 the first time I met with him). Since my surgery, and based upon the progress I've made so far (I'm 4 months post-op, and weighed in at 237 this morning), I have made a slight adjustment to my final goal. I decided that I really (REALLY!) wanted to be in the "normal" range, based on the BMI charts. In order to do that, at my height (5'10"), I need to hit 174. That's only 6 pounds lower than my original goal...and I'm feeling pretty confident that I will be able to get there. I have no desire to be "skinny"...but I would love to lose the "overweight" label, once and for all!!

There were 2 major factors in determining my goal weight.

1. When I was my healthiest I wast 155lbs. This was my walking around weight when I was very active & wrestling.

2. More coincidentally 155 also is 25.0BMI for me this is the highest weight in the normal category.

I am 5'6" normal ranges from 112-155.

Ditto. Same for me. Except the wrestling part ;-)

Thanks for the input! :)

I think I also just really really reeeeeely want to be in the "normal" range for once in my life. I've always had an "overweight" tag attached to me, it seems... :) My surgeon asked me what I was aiming for when I met with him last time. I believe I told him 147 & he said it was a fair goal, but that we'd discuss an "official" goal once it got closer to surgery. Honestly, I'm afraid I'll get under 170 & be too content just to hang out there. ;)

weight.png 347*294/285/135 (*347HW/294SSW)

My doctor set my goal...never asked my opinion about it at all. Frankly, I don't know where he got the number, but it doesn't matter. My real goal is not a number....it's gonna be the way I look, the way I feel, the things I can do that I couldn't do before. I hope I know it when I see it. Then again I may always just keep pushing for more.

Weight loss is getting me there, but it's not the goal.

Well said!!! I like that

upon the progress I've made so far (I'm 4 months post-op, and weighed in at 237 this morning), I have made a slight adjustment to my final goal. I decided that I really (REALLY!) wanted to be in the "normal" range, based on the BMI charts. In order to do that, at my height (5'10"), I need to hit 174. That's only 6 pounds lower than my original goal...and I'm feeling pretty confident that I will be able to get there. I have no desire to be "skinny"...but I would love to lose the "overweight" label, once and for all!!

I am 5'10" also and had a goal of 180 pounds. I can only ever remember being 190 and thought I looked good. I like your idea of making it to the normal range. This morning I weighed in at 236.6. I am not close yet but maybe I will be able to revise my goal weight like you!!

I am 5'10" also and had a goal of 180 pounds. I can only ever remember being 190 and thought I looked good. I like your idea of making it to the normal range. This morning I weighed in at 236.6. I am not close yet but maybe I will be able to revise my goal weight like you!!

Opps! 226.6!!

I also want to get into the normal weight range category. It can be the very highest allowable weight in normal range...I just want to get there! I have no idea what it's like not to be overweight or obese. Honestly, I've been obese so long that I barely remember what it's like to just be overweight! I don't know how realistic it is, I just really really really want to find out what "normal" is.

I'm just curious how you all chose your goal weights.

I'm doing a little bit of bouncing on this one' date=' as I've never been below 182#, in my post-puberty body. The charts & formulas all put me around 135-147#, with a minimum low of 121#. Lately, though, I've found some "success stories" both WLS & non-WLS, who were about the same height & start weight as me... One is now 125# & frankly, looks skeletal to me. Another is 175 & still going but looks really good. And there's another that's abt 155 & looks good but has lumps of skin.

I guess maybe I won't know until I get there...?

347*294/285/135 (*347HW/294SSW)

I am close to 3 weeks post op now. My doctor said not to focus on a goal weight but its easier to achieve ur goals when u focus on smaller goals (ie focus on losing 20lbs first month) because I'm only 5'0, in order for me to be a "normal" BMI I need to be 124. 125 I'm overweight. I have been 130 before and looked disgusting. But do I really want to do something as big as VSG to be 150lbs (I think this is where I will look healthy) and still be considered overweight? I brought this up with my surgeon. He said my body will decide when it's done losing weight

I am 7 months out (nursing a freaking leak, long story) but I am at my original goal. I was 254 in feb 2012 and as of 10/2012 I am 147 this morning (yay). My original goal was 150. The BMI chart I think in my dr's office for a 5'7" female says 140 (I'm 38 years old btw). I thought 10 lbs over that should be a good "stable" weight..? IDK anymore though!

As I've gotten smaller and closer to my original goal though, I have asked other ppl's inputs. I've measured my bone frame size (as per the internet) and holy crap, I'm almost a 'small' bone frame. WHO KNEW THAT? I always said I was 'big boned' lol.

I've hit my goal size (an 8!!!) and even got into 6's (barely! but could sit down in low waisted size 6 jeans) last weekend.

I used to wear a size 10 ring on my left hand. I'm now in a size 7. Wow right? (I still can't believe THIS IS ME!)

So with that all being said... when do I 'stop' the fight and go into 'maintenance' mode?

Per the bone charts, I would be "normal" at 135-140. I've had a secret goal of 140 for a while, but here lately I am hungrier more and more and honestly? It worries me. So what is "sustainable"? IDK... I've fought to lose the weight for most of my life. Now what do I do? Talk about life changer!

My dr. btw says I am great at any weight where I am now. Even 160 is ok really. But for once in my life, I honestly want to get where I never even opened my mind to possibly occuring... and it's happening. WEIRD.

I say go to where you are happy. I'm happy where I am now and if I can sustain it with a "normal" eating life, then ok. If I gain, then up to 160... perhaps is ok. Maybe even 170. I'm allowing myself to think in more than 'black and white' of what the scale says. As long as my health is still good, I am in a decent size/feel ok, exercise and no problems medication wise, then... it'll be good. But yeah I'm even striving to hit that 135-140. At least hit it once in my life... then stabilize.

So not a real answer but if you have input for me, I appreciate it too... best of luck in your journeys all! xx Stephanie

I'm 5-6 and my bone frame is large never been smaller than a sz 10 so my doc set my goal at 160. I'm 189lbs now and wearing sz 14.... I think when I get to 160 I should be a sz 10... can't wait. Things are going slow now but I'm happy with losing 75 lbs so far 7.5 months.

I've always considered myself to be big boned, but recently I've discovered that I'm "medium" at te most. Funny what certain perceptions we carry...

weight.png 347*294/285/135 (*347HW/294SSW) <> Tweet @Mwrarr <> mwrarr.wordpress.com