Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do You Regret Your Sleeve?

Just curious, if approved I plan getting the sleeve but started to wonder. How many of your actually regret getting it to begin with?

Well, I just got sleeved 10/11 and it's been great so far, no regrets!!

IDK that I'm one of the best ppl to answer this question. I'm a complicaiton experience from surgery. My body rejected a staple in my original suture line and I ended up leaking, found a few weeks after my original surgery. I was 'fixed' but still had small leaks occuring. Long story, but I'm still nursing a leak now. I was self pay, spent quite a bit of moola on having this surgery and crappy insurance since caused me to spend much more with the complications.

With all of that being said, and all of that struggle that I've gone through, no I do not regret surgery.

I am the smallest size I've ever been in my life. I've lost 100+ lbs. and I am healthier, even with nursing a leak.

Most ppl don't have this sort of thing occur, but .... to those of us that have, IDK how many do regret it or don't. It sucks having complications and is a long hard road to haul to get 100% well (at least it has been in my case); however, I could have tried to do this again w/o surgery and the recidivism rate of not having surgery might have engulfed me as it had previously (I've lost 60-80 lbs at least twice in my life already and always gained it back). I worry about remaining a WLS success story; however, I'm a different person outward appearance anyways.... and I feel much healthier.

So no, I don't regret it.

Best of luck to you! xx Stephanie

No regrets for sure. It isn't easy for some people but so worth it.

No regrets. It is a huge adjustment in lifestyle, but worth it.

IDK that I'm one of the best ppl to answer this question. I'm a complicaiton experience from surgery. My body rejected a staple in my original suture line and I ended up leaking, found a few weeks after my original surgery. I was 'fixed' but still had small leaks occuring. Long story, but I'm still nursing a leak now. I was self pay, spent quite a bit of moola on having this surgery and crappy insurance since caused me to spend much more with the complications.

With all of that being said, and all of that struggle that I've gone through, no I do not regret surgery.

I am the smallest size I've ever been in my life. I've lost 100+ lbs. and I am healthier, even with nursing a leak.

Most ppl don't have this sort of thing occur, but .... to those of us that have, IDK how many do regret it or don't. It sucks having complications and is a long hard road to haul to get 100% well (at least it has been in my case); however, I could have tried to do this again w/o surgery and the recidivism rate of not having surgery might have engulfed me as it had previously (I've lost 60-80 lbs at least twice in my life already and always gained it back). I worry about remaining a WLS success story; however, I'm a different person outward appearance anyways.... and I feel much healthier.

So no, I don't regret it.

Best of luck to you! xx Stephanie

Stephanie so sorry to hear you had all of these problems. I know it must be the hardest thing ever! I was so worried about a leak but so far have been so blessed. I know this could happen to anyone. I wish there wasn't a risk of this kind of complication. Something they could do to prevent it. But there isn't. You are so beautiful and such have a such a great outlook on what has happened to you. I pray for your full recovery!! :)

No. I'm more than two years out and my life is completely different. I'm currently pregnant and even my pregnancy is different from previous pregnancies. My entire life and outlook has changed and the way I feel about myself and the way I deal with stress and negative emotions is far more positive than prior to my weight loss.

Complications are a very real risk. If you can't make the choice to have surgery accepting that you could have a complication and the accompanying misery, do not jump in and make this choice yet. Complications are rare and less likely with a more experienced surgeon but they can happen to anyone, at any time, with any surgeon. They're usually something totally unexpected so you cannot know for sure if you'll fall into that small group or not. Do not ignore this very real risk and please educate yourself about your surgeon and the risks before the operation.

Complications aside, almost everyone that regrets surgery seems to have not quite been mentally or physically prepared before the operation. Either it went very quickly and they didn't have time to research or fully understand the challenges post op or they had a much tougher recovery (even without complications) than they anticipated.

The good news is that even these people that initially regret surgery tend to come around once they're healthy, fully recovered and close to their goal weight. And I've read many posts from people with complications that will admit it was horrible in the beginning but they'd do it again because of the end result.

The choice is very personal and only you really know how much you can take/tolerate. I was lucky and bounced back from surgery easily. My biggest concerns were the development of lactose intolerance, an inability to get good, fresh meat where I live and an incredibly small capacity that made eating a very real challenge for most of the first year post op. I'm sure that in my case, it's much easier to express no regrets.

If you use your loss period to overcome the disordered eating that makes us overweight in the first place, you can only come out of this a winner. I wanted a smaller goal weight but could not be happier with where I finally wound up - I cannot deny that I'm better off all around even if my vanity wasn't completely satisfied!

Best of luck,

~Cheri

no regrets.. i accomplished in a few months what i haven't been able to accomplish in years... i also had complications the first few weeks but thankfully just minor issues nothing like a leak.. and my surgeon monitors leaks very closely and frequently with all his patients which is ***** very important to consider because checking for leaks in some practices are not mandatory or not done as routine care.. yes very important to do all your homework and research and make a commitment and understand that you will have to change your lifestyle and food will forever change ... you must be mentally and physically ready... good luck

This is one decision that I made in my life that I do not regret! I would do it again any day of the week and twice on Sunday!

No regrets at all! Almost 6 weeks out and know it was the best thing I have ever done for myself!! Good luck in your journey!!

Not one bit of a regret. I am lovin my sleeve. I know some people have gone so far as to name it n I think that says a lot. Like the other poster said I have accomplished more in a few weeks than I ever did in years.

Wow, thank you all for your amazing stories! I don't think I will regret it either.

I'm totally ready to begin my new journey into WLS world. Fingers and toes crossed the insurance approves.

I wish I could be like ppl who don't need it. It has been a week postop and I fit into my smallest jeans almost. Size 14 Ann Klein and 16 Calvin Klein. This was as far as I ever got in years. Only a week postop and I know I will see size 10 again. That is all I want. I I lose more great. Knowing I will get there ... No regrets. I have an eating problem and this is what I needed to do to control it.

I'm only 9 days post OP but the only regret I have is that i didn't do it sooner!

I did have regrets the first couple of months as I had some post-op problems caused by dehydration. I'm a HUGE advocate now of "don't worry about the food so much, worry about drinking your water!" after surgery. In my experience, the food will eventually come, but once you're dehydrated it's a long haul back.

However I'm now 2 years post op. I've lost nearly 160 pounds... more than I currently weigh! I look great, I feel great, and I'm happier and healthier than I've ever been. No regrets here at all.

New sleevers - stay hydrated!!!!