Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Many People Eat How Their Nutritionists Want?

I saw my nutritionist the other week and she has told me no more than a small piece of fruit a day, and she doesnt recommend eating fruit at all really. ("Just pure sugar..even if it is natural") Tells me to eat at least three times a day, I really don't want to eat breakfast... It makes me queasy. Not to use Protein Drinks, but to actually eat my Protein. I was losing weight before I saw her ( I lost everything I needed to for pre op but went on vacation and gained most of it back) but now that I am trying to follow her advice I am losing nothing. I feel like my frustration at trying to follow her guidelines is making me backslide into making poor decisions. There really is only so much salad with a hard boiled egg and Italian dressing I can eat. Sigh.... I am a cook this should be easier.

That is the first time I ever heard a NUT talk against Protein drinks. Fruits are not pure sugar, that's for sure. There are nutrients there. Lots of fructose in some of them, though.

In another post someone commented on the diversity of opinion on nutrition you find in the bariatric world.

When is your operation?

I eat fruit everyday. I put blueberries in my yogurt. It seems to help me. I am a food addict and trying to overcome it is way hard. My surgery set me on the right path but I allow myself the fruit to surpass the need for sugary things like jelly Beans, Cookies blah... I think I'm doing ok, I write down everything I eat at my meetings and my NUT always says I'm doing well.

Try to do the best you can but fruit isn't evil. :)

Well at least not to me lol

My nutritionist suggested I eat a fruit for snack. It's so funny how every bodies professional opinions differ. I love really juicy plums and peaches. Yummy...... :)

Gman,

I am still jumping thru my hoops at the moment. I am hoping early next year. My NUT won't see me less than 6 weeks apart and I have to see her 3 times. My second appt is mid November. I can't even see my doctor until I lose my pre op weight, to make sure I am serious bout this, which I am not too upset about. I did get to see the assistant and she was the one that talked up the sleeve because I was thinking about the band, but I have the beginnings of arthritis so my medication wouldn't be available to me anymore. Also, lessofme, my NUT said to stay away from yogurt even Greek yogurt, because it had too much sugar. It seems like my Snacks consist of nuts...nuts... And more nuts. I mean really, 12 nuts? As a snack to help fill me up? Anyone still use instant oatmeal? I was putting Protein powder into a packet of that and it was filling me p, but she said no more instant and I don't really care for steel cut. ( and for some reason dislike leftovers so making it ahead of time just sounds revolting to me)

I still use instant oatmeal.< /p>

For pre op I did the Atkins for 4 weeks and then did 2 weeks Meal Replacement shakes and a lean cuisine with a salad.< /p>

I tried to change my diets up on pre op so I would stay faithful.

I also did a week of just healthy eatting ex. Veggies, lean meats, no fats no sugars.

The yogurt I used pre op was carb control from krogers...

Just do your very best :)

Okay so plain greek yogurt 0% fat has very little sugar. I suggest checking it out in the grocery store and bring her the information that you find. Plain instant oatmeal also not bad but maybe steel cut is better but you have to be able to eat what you like.

I agree with gmanbat - I've never heard of a NUT that is against Protein shakes! That being said, pre-op, she didn't want me doing Protein shakes, instead I was on a very low-carb diet (no more than 40 grams a day). So, I didn't eat yogurt or fruit because of the carb content. My NUT didn't care about calories, only carbs. But, I did eat lots of salads, meats, and cheeses. Stayed away from rice, potatoes, etc. My pre-op diet was for two weeks, but I did three and I lost 14 pounds during that three weeks.

Now, post-op, I do eat fruit. In fact, once I was cleared for it, I added apples, etc., because I was having Constipation which was no fun. I also added in some oatmeal occasionally for Breakfast as that helped the stopped up problem as well.

Some NUTs are nutty. And some don't differentiate between what a bypass patient needs, vs. a lapband patient, vs. a sleeve patient.

That being said....my NUT changed my way of thinking about food...and thusly, my life. She did not villianize food, but she showed me all the mistakes I was making. She didn't just tell me, she gave me homework. I had to read several books, even had to download a movie on Itunes and watch it. Tough work, I know...but when it was all said and done, I learned a heckuva lot about food and the effects it was having on my body. And that was what she wanted, not to give me a list of foods to eat or don't eat, but to help me understand the benefits and consequences of each piece of food I might eat so that I could make better decisions.

Once you know how some of these foods affect your body, they kinda become a turn off.

Well, I do what my NUT advises, but I tend to agree with her recommendations. fruit is definitely allowed, according to my official post-op book. My pre-op diet actually worked on cutting out grains. I did brown rice only for most of the year, then cut that out a month before surgery. otherwise, lean meats, veggies, and fruits, plus Protein Shakes. Do what works for you, dear. You are the one that needs to lose the weight and shrink your liver. (As hard as it was to cut out grains and sugar, I really do find that I feel better without them.)

My NUT also doesn't care about calories... Imagine my dissapointment when I was proud of myself to get down to 1700 a day. Mind you, work doesn't make it easy to sit down and eat. (Go figure.. In a kitchen 9 hours a day) it is all about the three combinations, my meal has to have a certain amount of fat (15 g) something like 20 G Protein and then two carbs mostly from the non starchy side, then two Snacks a day. I eat twice a day at most some days because I am flying, I know it isn't the best for me, and have had a candid talk with my uppers about me taking my breaks no matter what. I am no longer working 10 to 12 hour days, so that is helping. I actually have the energy to cook when I get home. I think most of my frustration comes from me thinking I know about food, being that I have worked with it for going on 10 years and studied it for 3, and when I thought I was making good choices, it wasn't good enough. Hell I don't even like sweets, I just started eating fruit because it was a better snack then my usual sandwich ( or bread and butter with tea and jam... Now that is a good snack , see where I weakness lies?!) but a positive is, is that I don't feel guilty about cooking with oil anymore, but I do miss butter.