Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Darkening Of Skin

I have darker skin in places where my body fat rubs together - inner thighs/skin under the very top of my arm... Is there a way that you have gotten your two skin tones to match again? Or maybe I'm the only one with this issue.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

i have that also when i loss weight when i was younger it went away, now that i am older i am not sure.

The skin darkening in certain areas can actually be related to medical conditions like insulin resistance. If the underlying medical condition goes away, the skin darkening should as well.

The dark skin is a condition known as Ancanthosis Nigricans and is associated with insulin resistance, PCOS, and obesity.

I didn't know this. As I mentioned in another post I have this between my thighs. I am curious how long it takes to go away... I haven't really noticed an improvement yet although my blood sugar has been really good since surgery. I wasn't diabetic before but had the metabolic syndrome of borderline blood sugar.

I have a problem with this also, I hope it does go away after surgery?

I have darker skin in places where my body fat rubs together - inner thighs/skin under the very top of my arm... Is there a way that you have gotten your two skin tones to match again? Or maybe I'm the only one with this issue.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Not sleeved yet November 6th but this will fade as the weight fades. I lost 60 pounds and it was fine. Its dirt.....

Sent from my Samsung Admire using VST

Let me be VERY clear on something. The darkening on the skin we are experiencing IS NOT dirt. That is either an ignorant comment from an uneducated person, or someone who has been EXTREMELY poorly informed. It has to do with Insulin Resistance and the insulin leaking out of our bodies. Please take a moment to familiarize yourself with the TRUE cause of this very embarrassing, hygiene UNrelated issue. Please read below or take time to do your own research on Acanthosis nigricans. I myself have found very positive information regarding this unsightly issue, with regards to weight loss and overall fading of the problem areas.

Acanthosis nigricans is a brown to black, poorly defined, velvety hyperpigmentation of the skin. It is usually found in body folds,[1] such as the posterior and lateral folds of the neck, the axilla, groin, umbilicus, forehead, and other areas. (In other words..your neck, armpits, groin (inner thighs), near the belly button, and forehead)

It typically occurs in individuals younger than age 40, may be genetically inherited, and is associated with obesity or endocrinopathies, such as hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism, acromegaly, polycystic ovary disease, insulin-resistant diabetes, or Cushing's disease.

The most common cause of acanthosis nigricans is insulin resistance, which leads to increased circulating insulin levels. Insulin spillover into the skin results in its abnormal increase in growth (hyperplasia of the skin).

I had gestational diabetes with all three of my children and i had this condition then. I had darkened armpits, elbows,ankles and a fine line that was jett black from my pubis to between my breasts ( line of negras). I had c sections n my obgyn thought it was hilarious as he didnt have to mark me for surgery! It IS related to insulin. : )

This is interesting and something I never knew! I've has darkening areas since I was a pre teen and never knew what it was! I would scrub and scrub but it never got any lighter. This is eye opening!

Of course my first pregancy i was just 14 and i had no idea. My mom would scrub and scrub but of course to no avail. I still remember the humiliation of feeling "dirty". Im sad that people live under that misconception because it sticks with u long after the pigmentation fades. : (

Let me be VERY clear on something. The darkening on the skin we are experiencing IS NOT dirt. That is either an ignorant comment from an uneducated person' date=' or someone who has been EXTREMELY poorly informed. It has to do with Insulin Resistance and the insulin leaking out of our bodies. Please take a moment to familiarize yourself with the TRUE cause of this very embarrassing, hygiene UNrelated issue. Please read below or take time to do your own research on Acanthosis nigricans. I myself have found very positive information regarding this unsightly issue, with regards to weight loss and overall fading of the problem areas.

Acanthosis nigricans is a brown to black, poorly defined, velvety hyperpigmentation of the skin. It is usually found in body folds,[1] such as the posterior and lateral folds of the neck, the axilla, groin, umbilicus, forehead, and other areas. (In other words..your neck, armpits, groin (inner thighs), near the belly button, and forehead)

It typically occurs in individuals younger than age 40, may be genetically inherited, and is associated with obesity or endocrinopathies, such as hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism, acromegaly, polycystic ovary disease, insulin-resistant diabetes, or Cushing's disease.

The most common cause of acanthosis nigricans is insulin resistance, which leads to increased circulating insulin levels. Insulin spillover into the skin results in its abnormal increase in growth (hyperplasia of the skin).

Thx slow your role though no need to thow ignorant card which I am far from. This is only what the dermatologist Told me SO I GUESS U WERE RIGHT POORLY INFORMED DEFINITELY NOT IGNORANT!

In regards to the "dirt" comment, I am speechless..

As for insulin resistance being the cause, is this something that will definitely go away after weight loss? I've had dark spots since I was a youngster. (I've always been plump.) The only thing I ever suspected it could be from was PCOS, which I have never been tested for. I do hope either way that they will disappear after the surgery.

You can expect for it to fade if not completely disappear.

Thx slow your role though no need to thow ignorant card which I am far from. This is only what the dermatologist Told me SO I GUESS U WERE RIGHT POORLY INFORMED DEFINITELY NOT IGNORANT!

Yes your dermatologist is either poorly informed or ignorant and I'd think twice about seeing this person again and trusting them with your health. I cannot believe in this day an age, with the large amount of research available that a medical professional would say this documented condition was dirt! SMH.