Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Atlanta, Georgia

I believe I overheard a convo at my physicians office about this and they may accept Medicaid. I would try Emory first but Dr. Titus Duncan with Real Results may accept.

Hi everyone!

I am just starting out on this journey and would like to consult with Dr. William Johnson through Atlanta Bariatrics. He also works out of Emory. Was anyone else in GA self pay? I'm wondering how much the initial consultation is? My husband got a new job so we are in between insurance coverage. However, I asked already if the new insurance covers WLS and they said no. So, wondering about the initial fee for first consult?

Also, if anyone was self pay, do you have to pay for all of the initial testing out of pocket, or will insurance cover most of that in general?

Thanks for any help!

Red

Hello everybody I'm new to the site I'm from Norcross Georgia I am currently looking for a doctor that accept Medicaid only for weight loss surgery. I attended a seminar with Dr Steinberg in Decatur Georgia which was very informative but unfortunately they did not take Medicaid only so I don't know what to do now. If anyone could assist' date=' please let me know I really would love to begin my journey with all of you[/quote']

Wondering if you had any luck with finding a surgeon

Hey everyone, I am in Atlanta as well. Well, Sandy Springs. My surgeon is Scott Steinberg with Decalb Medical. Is anyone still around here?

I'm around. I'm having my first consultation with Dr. William Johnson on Tuesday. It's a long way. He's in Suwanee and I'm out past Six Flags.

I'm around too. I've already had surgery and I'm 6 months post op. I went to emory. Good luck to everyone with their journey.

I'm here too. I'm getting sleeved in October with Dr. Macik at Northside. Hubby is going on 9/18. So excited - we just got his date today.

I am back. Haven't been on in a while. Was sleeved Nov. 2012 in Mexico. Great experience. No regrets!

Red, I work near Six Flags. :)

I am a newbie to VST. I am so excited I found a way to connect with other Atlanta Sleevers!

On monday, I got insurance approval. I am working with Emory Bariatric, I have my pre-op group NUT on September 30th. After that I will be scheduling my surgery with Dr. Lin.

On average, How long was the wait period is it between the group nutrition class to the actual surgery date?

I cannot answer your question as I am self pay and using Emory John's Creek, Dr. William Johnson.

But welcome to the Atlanta board!

I'm hoping for an early December date. I don't generally recover well from surgery and don't want to feel ill while cooking Thanksgiving dinner, so after Thanksgiving and before Christmas is my hope!

Hallelujah to THAT! I am kind of bummed that I will have to change up my traditional Halloween plans (Netherworld, Booze and Costume Parties) but, I have waited quite a while to make these lifestyle changes and it will allow me to see at least a dozen more halloweens in my lifetime.

Are you excited? How much planning have you done?

I feel a little behind. The last three months I have been looking forward to scheduling the surgery and now that it is creeping closer, I am getting nervous!

I am ready for the changes too! It's not even eating Thanksgiving meal, it's just the cooking I'm worried about!

I have to wait until Nov to get 2 of my tests done, so I'm one of those who can't get too excited until those are cleared! I won't even order anything yet.

However, when I get the all clear, I will order an extra heating pad, bathroom scale that measures Water, muscle, fat, etc. (for the dreaded stalls), a food scale, and a Withings Pulse. I've always been pretty active for my size, it's just catching up to me now. :( Hoping the initial 20-30 pounds will be enough to help me move easier.

I'm even afraid to buy many Protein drinks since many have said after surgery, their taste buds changed and they no longer liked the ones they did before surgery. I will not have a preop diet, so I guess I'll just buy a variety until I know after surgery which ones I will like!

I got totally freaked out when I initially thought I'd be able to schedule it within a month of me getting financed and deciding to do it. I think waiting until Dec is good for me.

What all do you still need/want to do before your surgery?

I have made a spreadsheet of items that I need before my hospital stay.

Heating pad, small firm pillow or a bari bear, children's cutlery, comfy waistbandless PJs and going home clothes, Gas X strips, Chapstick, Dry Shampoo, Extension cord, Phone charger, Slippers, Robe, Front-Close bra, etc.

I am also going to get flavorless protien powder to start out with. I figure that way I can add it to chicken broth, beef broth or other clear fluids. I will probably get adventurous and try flavors after the first week or so.

I was a college athlete, so I feel your pain. I was always a big girl, but big (185) turned into... 326 pounds.

I had attempted to lose weight in the past with low carb diets and had some great success, but gained it all back plus some within a year. I look at the sleeve as a tool that can give me a good push towards sustainable healthful living. I also failed because I was losing weight for cosmetic reasons/cute clothing. It never worked out.

I think now that I have a great supportive and loving relationship, career goals and the desire to have a family someday, my health came to the forefront and I finally feel ready to tackle the challenge the right way.

I think my nerves stem from wanting to know the unknown. I want to know how I am going to feel, what I will feel like eating, how much weight I am going to lose, if I will lose hair, etc.

Normal "cold feet", I guess.

I am a newbie to VST. I am so excited I found a way to connect with other Atlanta Sleevers!

On monday' date=' I got insurance approval. I am working with Emory Bariatric, I have my pre-op group NUT on September 30th. After that I will be scheduling my surgery with Dr. Lin.

On average, How long was the wait period is it between the group nutrition class to the actual surgery date?[/quote']

I had surgery in feb at emory. I had my group nut class then my last appt with surgeon. The week before surgery I had a pre op appt with the anaesthesiologist team and they did all my blood work. Then the following week I had surgery. I think it was about a months time to do all of that. Good luck to you!