Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi I am new after lurking for months. I have my surg scheduled on dec 3rd...I am thrilled, scared, worried... Not scared about surgery scared about life afterwards . Will I be me still? Since I can't eat will I turn into a drunk??? The thing I fear the most .... One sibling functional drunk...yeah right like any drunk can really be functional...right? Sorry not the point anyways - how have you all dealt with cross addiction? Any anyone going with Garcia in dec? I'm going alone so a little scared but not enough to stop...I am a lightweight as they call it but I certainly don't feel light- just sayin...remind me please I'm not crazy and I am just being OCD...lol. Like I said biggest fear except for dying, etc, being gambler druggie drunk crazy shopper etc... Help :)

Maybe your new addiction can be the gym. :)

I struggled with alcoholism in my early twenties... I have a few minor in possessions, I have a DWI but should've had many more, I've done a lot of hurtful things mainly to myself all because of alcohol. I know for a fact that I never want to go back to that lifestyle so cross addiction to me is completely out of the picture. To me, getting alcohol out of my life was a big head game. And so is this. It's hard and it's going to be harder than I could imagine I'm sure. But just remember that you are doing this to better yourself. Don't take two steps back by starting to drink or get involved with any kind of drug. :) let's make our new addictions gym time and healthy foods :)

I appreciate ur great thoughts!! I dont drink now very rarely; jus worried that since i cant stuff my face that i may turn to alcohol or something else... I have abest friend who only had a Tummy Tuck and she is so scared to get fat again thaat she now is drinking vodka almost everyday :(. I tried talking to her but no avail..scared that will be me. I have two Very young children and dont want to become the thing i abhor so much...

Being aware of cross over addictions can be an awesome start to preventing one! food often satisfies another need, so finding something help to fulfill that need (loneliness, boredom, worries etc.) is important (I have found satisfaction in liking the way I look now and treating my body kindly). Understanding your relationship with food will help too (for me, food was love, food never rejected, judged or abandoned and could temprarily give me happiness). You should expect to go through an emotional rollercoaster on this journey and have support in place -- a friend, a sister, a parent, a journal, a blog, a counselor, these boards -- something where you can get the feelings out. Between greiving the loss of food and fat releasing hormones, I cried a lot!