Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello losers! (and I mean that in the most respectful fun way). I just got approved for the sleeve and my surgery date is Oct 29 th yaaaaay! So I have a few "How long did it" ?'s. How long was your hospital stay? How long did it take to get back to your regular routine? How long did it take to heal? Were you able to walk a good distance without any pain or problems? I ask these questions because I have children. I drive to drop off and pick them up from school everyday so that should not be too much strain but I do have a one year old. My husband does not have vacation until December and I don't want to reschedule around his vacation. So I am hoping I can go back to my regular schedule after a couple of days with light restrictions.

Hello losers! (and I mean that in the most respectful fun way). I just got approved for the sleeve and my surgery date is Oct 29 th yaaaaay! So I have a few "How long did it" ?'s.

1.How long was your hospital stay?

2.How long did it take to get back to your regular routine?

3.How long did it take to heal?

4.Were you able to walk a good distance without any pain or problems?

I ask these questions because I have children. I drive to drop off and pick them up from school everyday so that should not be too much strain but I do have a one year old. My husband does not have vacation until December and I don't want to reschedule around his vacation. So I am hoping I can go back to my regular schedule after a couple of days with light restrictions.

1. I spent 2 nights in the hospital. Some surgeons perform VSG as an outpatient surgery. I personally am not comfortable with the outpatient route.

2. I was fine as soon as I was released with the limitation of not lifting anything over 15lbs for 6weeks.

3. The staple line & incisions are considered healed at about 6-8weeks.

4. I have had back pain for years. Couldn't walk more than 50yd without pain. 4hrs after surgery I was walking painlessly(might've been the I.V. drugs) the pain hasn't returned, and I've taken no pain meds after leaving the hospital.

Edit: when I say incisions healed in 6-8weeks I'm referring to where they cut through the muscle. As stated in the post below the skin will heal much faster.

Mine is the same as OTR with the exception of healing time. I had no staples or stitches. My surgeon used some type of surgical glue. Externally, all of those incisions have healed at three weeks. Now internally ... I have noooo idea, but I'm not lifting anything for 6 weeks either. I was back to work 5 days after surgery and walking for exercise regularly starting on day 7 after surgery.

I was outpatient - had no problems whatsoever surgically.

I went back to work (teaching - on feet whole time) in a week. I made it, but wish I had the opportunity to take 2.

ADVICE ADVICE ADVICE: Drink your Water... stay hydrated no matter what. It's easy to focus on "not getting enough food in" but the food will come. Trust me, in the meantime you WILL get dehydrated and it is extremely detrimental to feeling well after surgery. I know whereof I speak.

And you didn't ask, but here it is...

How long did it.... "take to lose the weight?" 10 months - 150 pounds. :)

(I'm 2 years out right now)

I'm pretty new to this stuff still as I was just sleeved on 9/24...but this is my experience so far.

1. I spent 2 nights in the hospital - I was up and walking the evening after surgery. I did not have a drain so that made things a lot easier.

2. I was feeling pretty good as soon as I was released with the limitation of not lifting anything over 20lbs for 4-6weeks. However, just becuase you feel good, you have to resist the temptation of overdoing it. You will still need help. I actually made sure all the laundry was done and house pretty clean before surgery so I could rest and heal without feeling guilty that things weren't getting done. I also precooked meals and had them in the freezer so hubby could just defrost/microwave dinner, etc.

3. I'm 3 weeks 1 day out and my incisions are basically healed on the outside. There's a little pain on the inside on one of them if I press hard but nothing major. The only staples are in my stomach. My dr. put surgical tape that stays on a week and fall off once it's all healed.

4. I have a 5 year old and was able to do pick up and drop offs after I got home. The only thing I couldn't do was pick him up but at 5 that's easier than if he was younger.

I know everyone is different, etc....but if you have had a c-section, this doesn't even compare. Way easier. I had my surgery on Monday and was back at work the following Tuesday...could have gone Monday but I took an extra day. :)

I am almost 3 weeks post op. I also was in the hospital for 2 days. Was up and walking the evening of surgery, I was sore and it felt like I did a ton of situps. I relaxed the day I got home but never used my pain medication after leaving the hospital. My incisions were closed with surgical tape. They were sore especially the one where they pull your stomach out of. I went back to work 1 day short of a week although I have a desk job. I made sure I got enough fluids in and I really think that helps in feeling better. Just don't over do it and listen to your body and I think you will be fine :) Good luck!

I was sleeved on Friday and came home Sunday night. They had me up and walking 3 hours after recovery. I just walked around my room in the beginning. By Saturday, I was going round and round the surgical floor. My problem was nausea. I was on nausea meds the whole time and came home with a Rx for the nausea. I finally sipped 30 oz on Sunday, so they released me. Painwise, My real pains were Friday night. The rest were manageable and I didn't ask for any pain meds. This surgery was a piece of cake compared to my hysterectomy. It was a tad painful getting up and sitting down, but not intolerable. I put an abdominal binder on when I got home and aside from using my old walker (backwards over the commode) I have had no problems. I do my breathing exercises and leg exercises every hour as required and walk as often as I can. Actually I walk all day, but once an hr, I walk up to the corner and back. Today I actually went down the block to pick up my mail.

I also spent two night in the hospital, which I was actually glad, as I also had nausea issues and had difficulty keeping liquids down. I returned to work a week after my surgery, and was probably back to relatively normal in about two to three weeks.Like others, I also had the glue in place of staples or sutures. Walking wasn't a big problem, just got tired easy for the first week or two. Took a few cat naps after work for a week or so. I am almost three months out, down 50 pounds, and feeling better than I have in years. I have no reservations about deciding to have the surgery. As my "name" says, I feel I truly have a bright future now. My Surgeon didn't give me alot of restrictions after surgery, other than what I could tolerate. I did notice one day that I overdid bending and stooping, and was sore for a day or so afterwards. I wish you a great surgery and fast recovery!

GREAT!!!! Thank you all for your response. It seems as if you all have similar recovery stories. My husband seems to think I will be down and out as if I was having a baby. I am super mommy and I know that I will have to take it easy.