Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When I first started this journey in July I was looking into the Lap Band but now I am considering the Sleeve. For those of you that made the choice also what are some of the considering factors that helped you with your decision? All of my pre-surgery testing was completed in September and I attended a group support last week and most of the people that were there had either the RNY or Sleeve; no one had the Lap Band nor was awaiting to have the Lap Band. I have to meet with the surgeon on the 24th so hopefully he will have some answers for me. One thing that scares me with the Sleeve is I have read numerous times that the surgery is irreversible so what if something goes wrong how is it corrected with only a small portion of your stomach remaining?

i wanted something permanent. i also did not want a foreign object in my body that would require monthly adjustment. so the sleeve it was. if you are questioning your decision i would go with the band - if sure, stick with the sleeve. hope this helps. :)

My surgeon showed a video of his lap band & sleeve surgeries. After the video, there was no choice, I wanted the sleeve. The idea of the band sewed in place and the regular injection to inflate the ring was not appealing. Then I heard that a friend's friend had a band that slipped twice & had to be removed. She was NOT a patient of my doctor! My sleeve surgery was the BEST thing I ever did. I was 232 in March, had surgery April 9th & now I'm 153. I feel GREAT! I work with a man who had the band about 6 months prior to my sleeve (also different doctor) and he is not loosing weight like I did.

there are many posts on this topic under "band to sleeve" you may want to check there. I had a revision on September 10th and it was the best decision I every made. I wouldn't recommend the band at all, it is not a forever and I believe will have to be removed eventually.

I just posted the same topic a couple weeks ago because for 4 months I knew I was getting the band ( I have a 6 month diet before surgery) some of my band.forum girls started a lil Facebook group and everyday I would hear them say... I'm still hungry... I'm 3 months out and have.only lost blah amount... I'm not in the green zone. I've heard so many comments in those areas. Plus when I came.here and asked someone pointed out... how many.people have you ment that had a band for 10 years? I don't know anyone... plus once u get the band removed your stomach goes back to preop size. I also watched a video and it basically said the sleeve will make u eat better... the.band will not. I'm a huge girl and.I didn't want to commit to a surgery that I may only.loose 40 lbs with or in 10 years be iin the same situation. The only.reason from the beginning I chose the sleeve because they weren't removing anything and it was reversible ... well hell... take out my stomach and I don't want it.back!!!! I am now getting the band. Make the best decision for you and good luck!!

If you want steered away from the bad, the revision forum is where to go! I also considered the ban in the beginning, after my orientation I decided NO WAY did I want that contraption in me! Took me 2 months of looking in to the sleeve to decide, but I am glad I did!

I vote for sleeve 100% I had my band surgery scheduled and changed my mind at the last minute when I spoke to at least for lap banders that had lost less than 30lbs. each (I work in a clinic as a nurse) and throw up everyday. I am grateful everyday that I got the sleeve!!! So happy

I read too many horror stories about bands slipped, eroding, stomach damage, etc. But even if those are not so common, it does seem to be common that people can't eat a wide variety of foods because they get stuck, that they have to regularly go get their bands adjusted (big investment of time and money), that the ports cause problems, etc. So I had pretty much made up my mind against the band even before I went for my consult. My surgeon told me he basically isn't recommending the band for anyone any more because of all the problems, and definitely not for people who have as much weight to lose as I do -- that people like me are typically not successful with the band. He recommend gastric bypass or the sleeve for me, and based on my preference as well as my personal and family medical history, we agreed that the sleeve would be the better option.

Check out my name! I am one of the million who have wicked horror stories PLUS my two daughters have the band still with no problems BUT with very little weight loss. That is a run on sentence and I could go on and on.

Check the revision section and you'll see.

When I started this the band was the only procedure I even considered. Then I would read about issues with fills and issues with slippage and issues with too many things. I don't want to go through this again in 5 or 10 years.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts...I think I am aiming towards the Sleeve :). At my last appointment with NP she suggested the Sleeve as she stated patient's were not very successful with the Lap Band. Prior to that appointment I thought the Lap Band would be the best as it is the least invasive but I am learning there are more complications with it than the Sleeve...Thanks again for all of your input on this life changing decision!!

Here's the info I was given when trying to decide between the two.

1/3 of the time the lap-band works exactly the way the recipient wants it to.

1/3 of the time the lap-band causes you to lose some weight and then no more.

1/3 of the time the lap-band does not work at all.

Those are shitty odds for this much money. I have a friend who has the band and is bitter she didn't get sleeved. She's lost 30 pounds out of the 100 she needed to. It's been several years now and it's the way it is. PLUS, I was not interested in the on-going maintenance (fills) the band needed.

That's what made me choose sleeve. I'm super glad I did and would do it again in a heartbeat. I just had reconstructive surgery to remove all the excess skin after all the weight loss. That's a nice problem to have.