Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Am Incredibly Lazy!

I have zero motivation to work out. I have paid for my gym membership for three years now and have only gone for a total of like three weeks.

What do you guys do to encourage yourselves to work out??? Please advice!!

I signed up my daughter to go with me to the gym, she loves to look cute so she always drags me to the gym! I also take natural energy pills and that motivates me once I am on those damn machines! lol I love the feeling of after the gym. I feel proud and energized! woohoo! I think if you find a good dedicated work out buddy, you will do go at the gym!

Oh boy, this means that to lose weight you will have to diet alone or use diet and exercise. When dieting alone you will have to restrict your calories and be very disciplined. If you add exercise along with diet then you will lose wt. faster. I for one can't, I say again, I can not lose wt. with diet alone. I need to exercise also.

Why, because I like to eat and have to eat ever 4 to five hours. I need to eat for energy. So if you know that you don't like to or won't exercise then you have to make the decision that you will restrict your calories or won't eat that much. You need to make that decision for yourself, I know that I had to embrace the gym and make working out my new best friend and way of live. Remember the old motto, calories in-calories out that is how we lose and maintain wt.

I hate the gym too. I pay and never go. So I am looking into things I do like: walking, yoga, pilates, boxing, dancing ( I want to try Zumba or Jazzerise). If is fun, I am more apt to do it. I'm also hoping that by going to a group exercise class that I make friends which will motivate me to keep coming. As a last resort, I will rejoin Curves because at least then you get a workout in less than a hour and since I hate working out, the less time the better.

I think group exercise classes like Zumba and body pump helps. Why because it feels like you are not working out especially with Zumba. When my zumba class hour is done, I feel like I haven't even worked out.

Find someone to be a partner with and ask them to hold you accountable for it.

Barring that find something that you LIKE to do. I too hate the gym, went for a few months then got tired of the sheer boredom of it - that and the disrespectful people who refused to wipe down equipment when they left or hogged certain machines non stop - let alone the grunters, gawd how I hate the grunters. For me it was swimming, I've always loved to swim. Then I got back into biking, bought a new bike this last summer and now have about 1000 miles on it.

If you just CANNOT find something you enjoy then realize that you will only be able to lose to a certain amount and won't get lower than that unless you diet and hold to it, and I'm afraid - as most of us know too well - dieting and laziness are at odds for most (formerly) obese people.

Find someone to be a partner with and ask them to hold you accountable for it.

Barring that find something that you LIKE to do. I too hate the gym, went for a few months then got tired of the sheer boredom of it - that and the disrespectful people who refused to wipe down equipment when they left or hogged certain machines non stop - let alone the grunters, gawd how I hate the grunters. For me it was swimming, I've always loved to swim. Then I got back into biking, bought a new bike this last summer and now have about 1000 miles on it.

If you just CANNOT find something you enjoy then realize that you will only be able to lose to a certain amount and won't get lower than that unless you diet and hold to it, and I'm afraid - as most of us know too well - dieting and laziness are at odds for most (formerly) obese people.

YES! I TAKE MY SANTIWIPES and wipe down my self before and after! My friend got a staph infection one time because of the gym!

My gym "Women's Workout World", they have fun music that pumps us up, they have fun work out classes, etc... you have to find something you love.

I love to dance, so my gym is perfect for me. I love to club, so their music is fun for me, they have club music, they also have a 50's workout class, I love oldies so I have fun with that class.

if they don't have what you like, take your Ipod or MP3, I love Twilight so when I am not in the mood of club music, I take my IPOD and listen to my fav soundtrack songs, my motivation... the handsome vampires.. gotta look good for them! (I have met many of them and attend alot of events so I have think of that!!! lol)

I usually don't have a problem finding the motivation to workout. I know that when I lift weights, it triggers hormones that makes me feel really good even though I'm tired. Other than during & after s*x, there is nothing else that makes me feel "manly" like lifting. : P But with women I'm sure it's a lot different and doesn't involve as much resistance training. You just have to find what your goal is, have a clear one and try to stick with it. If you do for a while, a lot of times seeing results will keep you pushing toward goals. The rare time that I am sleepy or lethargic before I go to the gym, I'm not afraid of a little caffeine to get me going....and it also helps me focus during my workouts. But and don't do that but maybe once every 2-3 weeks though. That's just stuff what works for me, find what works for you and go for it! The music (ipod) idea can be good too! Good luck!!!

I usually don't have a problem finding the motivation to workout. I know that when I lift weights' date=' it triggers hormones that makes me feel really good even though I'm tired. Other than during & after s*x, there is nothing else that makes me feel "manly" like lifting. : P But with women I'm sure it's a lot different and doesn't involve as much resistance training [/quote']

I can't speak for other women, but I feel sexy and empowered after and during working out- same with s*x. I feel so awesome afterwards and I love that all my hard work is paying off. That's what keeps me going. I just feel GOOD. I never thought in a million years that I'd become one of those that was cranky or a bit off because they didn't get in their daily run or gym time. I'm not that bad, BUT when I'm really stressed I crave going for a run. Great stress reliever! Yay endorphins!

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I can't speak for other women' date=' but I feel sexy and empowered after and during working out- same with s*x. I feel so awesome afterwards and I love that all my hard work is paying off. That's what keeps me going. I just feel GOOD. I never thought in a million years that I'd become one of those that was cranky or a bit off because they didn't get in their daily run or gym time. I'm not that bad, BUT when I'm really stressed I crave going for a run. Great stress reliever! Yay endorphins!

Sent from my iPhone using VST[/quote']

I can relate. I don't feel cranky, but if I don't workout my day does not feel complete.

I have never been successful as a gym rat - until now. Can't even guess how much $$ I've wasted in gum memberships over the years. Surgery was 4/9 and I joined the gym on 5/15 as soon as my doc released me. Because of a herniated disk, I'm limited in what I can do, so I started with Water aerobics and elliptical. Now I'm addicted, because this time I can see results! I go 3-4x week, and now alternate elliptical, strength training and spinning class. I have muscles, endurance and most of all, FUN! Make sure you find a facility that makes you feel comfortable and not intimidated.

Hi there,

I am about a month out for surgery and I have no energy. I'm curious as to what natural pills you are/have taken that provides energy. And I'm a little anxious about the pre/post diets. Thanks in advance.

Hi there,

I am about a month out for surgery and I have no energy. I'm curious as to what natural pills you are/have taken that provides energy. And I'm a little anxious about the pre/post diets. Thanks in advance.

I for one take NOTHING for energy, the mere fact that I am not totally obsessed with food eating all the time and toting around 170+ extra pounds of fat are all the energy I need.

Now some supplements may be in order but they don't necessarily "give you energy". B Vitamins to name one.

170lbs awesome, way to go! And I hear you on Vitamin b, never really known it to have an effect on me. Although I must say I'm anxious about the pre/post diets and terrified of sagging skin. I hope it gets easier once I'm actually going through the process.