Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why Dud U Choose Vgs

I have just started my journey toward my surgery. My other two family members have had the Gastric Bypass surgery. I have been trying to get my insurances to pay for my surgery for about 1 year, but they say my company has an exemption for the surgery.

I had a lapband and hated the created "pouch" and had nightmare visions of the RNY being life with a pouch again and the vomiting and discomfort that came with it. That might not be true, but it is what I feared. It was also riskier as a revision then the sleeve. Finally, I just was not comfortable with having my intestines touched - that is more of an emotional then logical reason... I could say it was about the Vitamins and dumping syndrome but that isn't true at all. I just could not get over the creepout factor.

I do encourage everyone to really know the details about each procedure as it seems the rny gastric bypass has a slightly better "success rate". Long term success with the sleeve isn't really known yet, so that part is a gamble.

Since you are on a sleeve forum, you will of course hear all the raves about the sleeve (of which i have posted many!) so just be sure you seek out the other side of the story too!

I chose the VSG because I had heard of so many complications and revisions down the road for those who had chosen to go with the lapband. I also did not like the idea of all the upkeep with the band (refills etc) and having a foreign object in my body. I decided against the RNY because I didn't like the idea of rerouting body parts and also was really nervous about malabsorption, dumping syndrome etc.

The VSG seemed the most logical choice because it doesn't cause malabsorption, doesn't cause dumping, doesn't reroute anything, doesn't require regular fills/unfills and doesn't "slip" like a band or leave anything foreign in the body. Although taking out 85% of your stomach is a pretty huge decision, it seemed the most "natural" of the weight loss surgeries available.

Also people who get the VSG tend to lose just as much as people who get gastric bypass, it just takes longer. And longer isn't a bad thing; it gives your body more time to adjust and cuts down on some of the skin issues. I am very happy with my sleeve so far. Good luck with whatever route you choose. In the end, it's a personal decision. Here's to your health! :)

I evaluated the lap band, the sleeve and bypass. My goal is to lose 135 pounds. I started at 265 and am 5 weeks post-op. I haven't since 8 days post-surgery so I'm not sure how much I've lost to date. I know it's at least 25 pounds.

Speaking ONLY for myself, I decided the following:

* The lap band had too many complications, required fills, weight loss was slower and the average % of excess weight loss was too low. Additionally, long term results for maintaining weight loss were disappointing.

* The bypass was too severe for me. I wasn't comfortable with re-routing my digestive system. Dumping and malabsorption were of concern too. I didn't want my life-long consumption too be as limited as the bypass would make it. Positives were rate of weight loss, average % of excess weight loss is the highest and long-term weight loss maintenance are good. Even with the positives, this was just too extreme.

* The sleeve has been performed for many years for purposes other than weight loss (as a young child, a family friend had this done for stomach cancer). The risks, compared with the other surgery choices seemed "reasonable." The average % of excess weight lost and the long-term results seem to be very acceptable.

All of that said, at 5 weeks out, I can say that I'm very happy I went with the sleeve. I'm VERY fortunate. I've had no complications, very little post-surgery pain, and feel great!

No matter what option you chose, be prepared to totally change the way you look at food...... You will probably go through a period of mourning and regret. It's normal and as you continue to lose weight, you'll feel better and better about your decision.

Best of luck!

Thank You everyone for your replies. My husbands insurance company say they will not do the surgery for obesity. I do see posts where BC/BS is paying for some surgeries, thank goodness. I recently found that the Native American Cherokee Tribe will help pay for my surgery. I joined a program called the "Help Program" with the Cherokee Tribe. At my first appointment I learned I have to loose 30 lbs, join a weight reduction group, start a daily exercise program, record my food, Water, & exercise on a daily basis. I am 58 y/o female, 5'4", & weigh 267.

When I started this program 3 weeks ago I weighed 281. I use "My Fitness Pal" to record everything. And I plan to join a local "Weight Watchers" group this coming Thursday. Next Monday I have my 2nd appointment at the " Help Program". I am very excited and very nervous. Also at my first visit I was told that the surgeries available to me are the lap band and VGS if the choice is mine to make then I will definitely choose VGS.

Thank You everyone for your replies. My husbands insurance company say they will not do the surgery for obesity. I do see posts where BC/BS is paying for some surgeries, thank goodness. I recently found that the Native American Cherokee Tribe will help pay for my surgery. I joined a program called the "Help Program" with the Cherokee Tribe. At my first appointment I learned I have to loose 30 lbs, join a weight reduction group, start a daily exercise program, record my food, Water, & exercise on a daily basis. I am 58 y/o female, 5'4", & weigh 267.

That is great news.... for the reasons the others above shared I choose the sleeve also. Other WLS options had side effects I did not want to live with.

I had to take a 3 month class on WLS, weigh in weekly and learn about diet and exercise, loose 10% of body weight (suggested not required) and I have to say although it was difficult to wait what ended up being 6 months total of hoop jumping it was great preparation and my only regret is that I did not work harder to loose more during that time to get me further down the road on the 150lbs I needed to loose. I am 50yrs old and 10 weeks out from surgery with no regrets at all and an easy complication free recovery. So excited you have found a way to pay for this option of WLS. Enjoy the journey to a new you.

My cousin was sleeved and she looks great. I've been the fat girl all my life. So now I'm ready for change. Next month is my change and I'm so excited

2013 is my year....SD 11/19 Methodist Hosp in NY