Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Did You Take With You To Mexico?

Any suggestions for what I should take with me? Perhaps something you wished you had taken? Also, what drinks did you take for the trip back home?

I'd love to hear the answer to this too!! :)

For clothes I brought t-shirts, pull on capris, pj pants, bras without underwire, undies, a flip flops (May). I should have brought a thin hoodie as it was actually cooler in Mexico than NC. I could have actually worn stretchy loose jeans which would have came in handy with the pockets so I wish I had those too. I brought gas-X strips, mini tolietries, deo, fem supplies (just in case), a book, my netbook, camera & batteries, makeup, my ID, certified birth certificate, and 1 debit card. You don't need that much really, less to haul around. I bought a Water from the airport on the way home but the drs wife bought me bottled gatorade and water for my hotel stay and I could only spit ice chips in the hospital.

My favorite things I brought were Gas -X strips, Listerine strips, hair scrunchies, Berts bees, soft no wire sports bra, flip flops (any slip on shoe) face cleaning wipes, my smart phone, my visa card, a couple loose sun dresses (I went in August )a cross body purse /bag,basic toiletries.

I took chewable gasx and used them! Extra panties, due to liquid in liquid out at one point I had all my panties and my gown hanging to dry in the bathroom! Lol don't take Vitamins you don't need them the first week.

Ditto on the extra panties, maybe panty liners? Lose fitting shorts and long pants with pockets, to go under hospital gown and to carry your drain. Slippers for walking the halls. A really comfy bra with no underwire. My lap top, phone charger, heating pad, and an extention cord to plug all that into. Gas X strips, very large bandages for your drain hole. The Dr. uses gauze and tape. I wish I had brought a binder of some sort to support my tummy.

As far as what to drink, by lots of bottled Water. Crystal light, herbal tea, chicken/ beef boulion. I brought my own cup and little heating element to warm Water and broth or you can use the hotels coffe maker. Believe it or not you really won't care that much about it. It's more of a "job" getting your liquids in.

Thanks to everyone that posts here I was pretty well prepared.

I think the lighter you pack, the better. Comfy clothes to wear to hospital and to the hotel. Pj's that are not binding at your waist, comfy bra and panties. Slippers or flip flops for walking in the hospital. Lip balm and minty breath spray. I only took one gas x strip during my hospital stay. I took a clamshell eyeglass case to keep my lip balm and breath spray in. I kept those things close at hand for the first 24 hours. The mouth dryness is awful. My surgeon provided iPads for us. It is easier to pack lightly and not have a ton of bags to lug around. I did take some bottled Water for the flight home. We purchased it at Walmart by our hotel after surgery. You can always buy something to drink because you really won't be getting much in the first few days anyway. Take some Crystal light packets, the milder the flavor, the better. I washed my hair at the hospital but only used my blow dryer and straightener the day we left for the hotel. I should have just pulled it back into a band and not worried over taking hair items. If I were doing it again, I would take only what I absolutely needed, I packed way too much for the trip.

I think the lighter you pack' date=' the better. Comfy clothes to wear to hospital and to the hotel. Pj's that are not binding at your waist, comfy bra and panties. Slippers or flip flops for walking in the hospital. Lip balm and minty breath spray. I only took one gas x strip during my hospital stay. I took a clamshell eyeglass case to keep my lip balm and breath spray in. I kept those things close at hand for the first 24 hours. The mouth dryness is awful. My surgeon provided iPads for us. It is easier to pack lightly and not have a ton of bags to lug around. I did take some bottled Water for the flight home. We purchased it at Walmart by our hotel after surgery. You can always buy something to drink because you really won't be getting much in the first few days anyway. Take some Crystal light packets, the milder the flavor, the better. I washed my hair at the hospital but only used my blow dryer and straightener the day we left for the hotel. I should have just pulled it back into a band and not worried over taking hair items. If I were doing it again, I would take only what I absolutely needed, I packed way too much for the trip.[/quote']

Thanks for the information

My suggestion would be to pack and then take half out of your suitcase. You really don't need much at all. This is the only suitcase I brought, it is a mini carry on - I was surprised to see others lugging so much stuff. This suitcase fit everything, including my laptop plus I had a small purse.

post-32282-13813660438486_thumb.jpg

I actually packed too light. Make sure you bring light jackets for the evenings as it gets cool, sundresses for the day, sweaters to wear over them. You do need an outfit or two every day. Comfortable shoes, Ipad, books, things to keep you occupied.

I don't actually own any bras without underwires, do you think I should invest in one or can I make do with the underwire bras? They're so expensive, I'd hate to spend 50$ on something that I'll wear a week and then never again. I work from home so I don't even really need to wear a bra when I'm at home.

I was thinking of bringing some saline nasal spray, I'm afraid that without Water it'll get dry, dry mouth, dry nose! Hopefully they let me rinse my mouth out a lot, I think the dryness will be the worst part for me.

I'm bringing my iPad and I'll make sure it has a lot of tv shows and movies on it, and I also have Netflix so if the wi-fi is fast enough then I can watch that too.

Thanks so much to everyone that has replied. I'm getting my list together. The 24th will be here before I know it!

Hazel, maybe a cheap sports bra would be a good idea.

I would get a tank to bring instead of a bra. Could be a stretchy one - that holds your skin tight and actually feels good - no jiggling of your belly. If you have a binder from a previous stomach surgery, that would feel good, too. I brought a laptop but never once used it. I became so friendly with the other girls getting sleeved that we kept each other company. If we weren't talking, I was sleeping. The drugs realllly knock you out. Bring one pair of pants, 2 shirts, and comfy Jammie's. I brought my crocks and was glad I did. I also brought a snugly robe. Except for minimal toiletries, that's it!

Remember that you can't lift anything on your way home so the smaller the bag the better. I took one small carry on and had everything I needed plus some. You are provided with toiletries, lip balm, mouth swabs, etc so no need to lug that stuff around. I took a couple of herb tea bags and Crystal Light packets and used them all. The one thing I was most greatful that I took was my mini travel pillow, it sure did help get comfy in those hospital beds, to press and brace my tummy when getting up out of bed, and I used it under the seatbelt in the care and plane which was a lifesaver.

I don't actually own any bras without underwires, do you think I should invest in one or can I make do with the underwire bras? They're so expensive, I'd hate to spend 50$ on something that I'll wear a week and then never again. I work from home so I don't even really need to wear a bra when I'm at home.

I was thinking of bringing some saline nasal spray, I'm afraid that without Water it'll get dry, dry mouth, dry nose! Hopefully they let me rinse my mouth out a lot, I think the dryness will be the worst part for me.

I'm bringing my iPad and I'll make sure it has a lot of tv shows and movies on it, and I also have Netflix so if the wi-fi is fast enough then I can watch that too.

No need to buy a "real" bra, just go to Walmart or Target and pick up a soft, nylon tank or sports bra type for less than $10. I took my Ahh Bra which is made of lycra/nylon and it was perfect. Just make sure that the band that goes under your girls is soft and not too tight, one of your incisions is most likely going to be very near there.