Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm 12 weeks away from my banding date, but as a busy performer I need to make plans for when I'll be back at rehearsal or on the stage post-op, so I hope some of you singers can help.

Before I scheduled my surgery I had made a commitment to sing on a concert that now is three weeks post-op. Is it realistic to think that I'll be able to do that? :guess My only other surgical experience was a lap-gall bladder removal eight years ago, and I don't recall any extensive down time from singing, and in fact I think I did a solo performance within three weeks of the surgery (it was eight years ago, so the timeline is a little fuzzy now). Of course, with the gall bladder surgery there were just two tiny incisions and one two-inch one, and that didn't involved a port stitched to a muscle.

Any advice on what I should ask my surgeon? Are there better/worse places to place the port for deep breathing/singing? :guess

Thanks!

I would take it very very easy - it's the deep breathing where you're really going to notice a difference, and perhaps some real pain.

Don't push those deep breaths - your pouch/band is right below your diaphragm, and pulling the diaphragm down to breath will most likely remind you of that pretty quickly.

I went back to my church job too quickly - I think I gave myself a week. 3 would have been better.

After I was all healed up it wasn't really an issue, but sometimes on those deeper breaths I could still feel the band resistance.

You know, every person heals differently. And, I believe if you have had surgery before, that is a good indication of how you will recover from this one. Some people, such as myself, really get taken out from anesthisia and are down and out longer than others. I am just not sure about the singing. I mean, I am sure you will be able to sing, but like Donali said, there is some pulling there and it might be a bit uncomfortable. It was a good 2-3 weeks before I felt like doing much of anything and about a month before I felt like my old self again.

Hi Island Girl!

I traveled to Italy at 3 weeks post-op and sang at 4 weeks. It was just one aria on a gala.....not a whole role or anything. I felt absolutely fine. Not sure about the port thing....mine is under my ribs about 3 inches right of my midline. One thing to consider is the intubation. I was awake when they intubated me....not fun, but then they can have you inhale deeply when they insert the tube minimizing the possibility of damage. This is something to talk to the anesthesiologist about. Dont let anyone tell you that losing weight is going to ruin your voice! After losing weight EVERYTHING feels better including my voice. Its so cool to meet another singer!

Thanks, everyone. I think I'll just tell the concert planners that while I expect to be able to perform, they had best not advertise my appearance, and let it be a special surprise if I am able to do it. It's just one solo and one duet -- not a whole role, as you say.

I especially appreciate the advice on reaching an understanding with the anesthesiologist.

Here's to a lifetime of good music (in good health)!