Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Rice Cakes

I have a weakness for chips..especially Kettle cooked chips. So I have been trying to find a substitute (and a nutritional one) to take the place of ma Kettle.

So, has anyone eaten or tried Rice Cakes and if so how are they? I tried one many moons ago but it was horrible not to mention DRY. Why are they so dry?

Any other suggestions you may have as to what to eat that won't add so much fat yet satify a craving for the 'bad' thing to eat, by all means you can tell me. All suggestions welcomed.

What can take the place of Hostess cupcakes, twinkies, etc etc (Now I am not eating all of these things, I'm just trying to find a taste like them but w/o all the cal, fat, carbs and sugar).

Thanks in advance for your input :)

Have you tried veggie chips? They're a little healthier than potato chips.

I have made 'cheese crisps' to replace crackers:

Line a baking sheet w/ par hammer paper

Spoon 1 tbs shredded parm cheese into mounds on the the sheet, flatten them into circles.

Bake for a few minutes at 350.

I always rest them on paper towels to get the excess oils out. Pretty yummy!

Quaker soy crisps are really good . I wouldn't say they replace the kettle exactly.. I just had the Jalapeno kettle chips myself lol I can eat about 8-1 of them. But it was a rare occasion and by granny I enjoyed them. I like the white cheddar soy crisps and I am gonna try the new special K popcorn chips soon as I go back to the store

Oh ps.. for my sweet cravings I love anything and everything made by Fiber One.

I also live fiber one, but I did recently try Special K pops which are chip like Snacks, they're very low cal and I eat them with laughing cow. I do eat almonds a lot.

"Pop Chips" have a lot of crunch like a kettle crisp, but a lot less fat/cals. The Special K cracker-chips are good, too, but a little powdery for my taste. As a baker, i can tell you that you're never going to get a replica taste of cake using artificial sweeteners, flour substitutes &/or by trying to make it less-cakey, nor would I recommend it, but there are "diabetic" online bakeries that do low-sugar, etc options. I'm not sure of the name, just use google. There are gluten-free mixes at the grocery, but truly they have just as much (if not more, sometimes) carbs in them. But, experimenting never hurts. :)

weight.png 347*294/285/135 (*347HW/294SSW)

"Pop Chips" have a lot of crunch like a kettle crisp' date=' but a lot less fat/cals. The Special K cracker-chips are good, too, but a little powdery for my taste. As a baker, i can tell you that you're never going to get a replica taste of cake using artificial sweeteners, flour substitutes &/or by trying to make it less-cakey, nor would I recommend it, but there are "diabetic" online bakeries that do low-sugar, etc options. I'm not sure of the name, just use google. There are gluten-free mixes at the grocery, but truly they have just as much (if not more, sometimes) carbs in them. But, experimenting never hurts. :)

347*294/285/135 (*347HW/294SSW)

Actually, what she is trying to replicate is the artificial and fake cake. A healthier alternative is to make your own cake. FLourless chocolate cake is devine and given you can only eat a few bites it won't blow the calorie budget and will satisfy the craving. Cake from a quality bakery (not safeway type) is better for you than a twinkie etc.

Try blue diamond nut thins, they are great. I've tried the smokehouse, ranch and cheddar, cheddar is my favorite. You can eat 16 for a serving and it's like 130 calories and Protein too. (I forget how much protein, not at home)

Try blue diamond nut thins' date=' they are great. I've tried the smokehouse, ranch and cheddar, cheddar is my favorite. You can eat 16 for a serving and it's like 130 calories and Protein too. (I forget how much Protein, not at home)[/quote']

I'm going to look for these!

Dehydrated veggie chips are a good way to go. I get them from Kroger in the produce section or buy them online from nuts.com. Also, microwave some turkey pepperonis for about 1 minute. They come out like little pepperoni flavored chips. Lots of Protein.< /p>

Dehydrated veggie chips are a good way to go. I get them from Kroger in the produce section or buy them online from nuts.com. Also' date=' microwave some turkey pepperonis for about 1 minute. They come out like little pepperoni flavored chips. Lots of Protein.[/quote']

I love those veggie chips. It may sound crazy, but like the Lay's commercial, I know I can't stop at one, or a handful. I'm afraid I would get out of control and eat too much, then feel that horrible guilt after. I'll try the turkey pepperoni, instead.

I love those veggie chips. It may sound crazy' date=' but like the Lay's commercial, I know I can't stop at one, or a handful. I'm afraid I would get out of control and eat too much, then feel that horrible guilt after. I'll try the turkey pepperoni, instead.[/quote']

That's smart because you can easily eat too many of them. They are better than fritos, but they are not great. We all have our trigger foods.

Lundberg Rice chips are very good and are an alternative to potato chips or corn chips. Also Dr. Kracker's pumpkin Seed Crackers are excellent. I eat rice cakes every day with low sodium Peanut Butter on them. Sesame rice crackers from Trader Joe's are also excellent. Also my NUT says popcorn is an excellent source of fiber for us.

I'm not trying to start anything LOL but just wanted to ask....would't a rice cake be sort of a slider food? (I'm actually not against slider foods if you can control yourself, I'm just curious).