Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I talked to my surgeon today and she stressed the importance of being emotionally and mentally healthy. She expressed that she has had a few patients become extremely depressed, experiencing "buyers remorse" and "mourning"

The loss of their stomach. Has anyone been through this?

I am 6 months out, I have no buyer remorse, the sleeve was the best thing I have ever done for myself. No depression though I have had a few days , crying for stupid reasons or no reason, last for 30 min to an hour and then I am fine again. I've heard that part is from the hormones being released as you lose weight.

Not even for a minute. :)

I just hit my 9th month out and would do this again in a heart beat! I'm almost to the high end of a normal BMI. I need to exercise, as my weight loss has just about stopped. But, if I never lost or gained another pound, I'd still be happy. Now I'm ready for a neck lift. :D I'm 66 yrs old and it would really be a perk for me.

Oh, and I should mention, I had a few thoughts of, "what on earth have I done to myself". The first week is the hardest......actually, those first few months can be tough cause your stomach is so sensitive to food. You think, "is this all I'll ever be able to eat?" Then, as time wears on, you are able to eat more and also, have more food choices. Once you start seeing the numbers on the scale go down, you start doing the "happy dance", and your whole outlook starts changing. Then, pretty soon, you start getting compliments, then you are really doing the "happy dance" even faster and bolder! :D

NO mourning...

I am one week post op today. Hardest week because I am on isopuke and Clear Liquids. I am not really hungry, though my tummy does grumble a lot. When I see my family eating, I wish I could taste a bite...but I will soon enough. if you look forward to being able to eat regular food, in lesser amounts and at the weightloss and healthy body you will have, you should be able to stave off depression. Depression is a real medical condition and some folks are just more prone to it, through no fault of their own. If you feel depressed for more than a week, tell your doctor. Don't suffer in silence, there is no need. As an RN, I believe in better living through modern chemistry (and herbal medicine, when appropriate) I also believe that love and faith will help you get through most things. Good luck!

Done Did It!

Yep at week two I started getting depressed. food was my friend. I'm getting over it now. Excersise has really helped me.

Wow! It is interesting to hear. I guess everyone is different. I am praying that my emotions don't get the best of me.

I am still pre-op. So I cannot speak with authority on this. I anticipate mourning food post-op. I also anticipate being much healthier and getting over that mourning. I think that it will be key to turn to pleasures other than food. Here are some suggestions for post-op for myself to replace/change the former relationship with food: (1) increase the amount of sex you are getting - orgasms improve mood; (2) become more social; socialize more with friends; (3) sign up a for a class - learn a new skill; (4) start exercising (start slow and gentle); (5) acquire a new hobby (arts, crafts, sewing, reading); (6) start an anti-depressant (I have been taking them since the 80's); (7) start traveling around the world and fill your mind with new ideas; (8) listen to audio books; and/or (9) become a volunteer at a social services agency. In other words, replace/change the relationship with food. This is what I am focusing on. I hope that these ideas are helpful (they might not be but they are offered in the spirit of helping) and I wish everyone on this forum a successful weight loss journey.

I had depression the first few days. I was tired and wanted to eat. But I'm feeling better now and realizing it's all for a better cause

The first few days after surgery I had buyers remorse and I even contemplated asking my surgeon to put my stomach back together lol I blame that irrational thought on the morphine that was making me loopy. Around day 4 I was so happy that I had the sleeve. The transition from surgery sucks because you go in feeling great and then you leave feeling like crap and of course it's natural to want to go back to feeling better and I think that's what my problem was. Also when I was puking my brains out I definitely thought "wtf was I thinking". Puking sucks and barely being able to drink anything sucked and I thought I had screwed my body up but thankfully I feel great now and have zero regrets :)

I definitely had buyers remorse for at least the first 2 weeks after surgery. Now, 7mos post op, I feel it was the best decision I've ever made.