Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bmi 20! Sleeved With Dr. Kelly Last November

Hi friends, I have not been on here in some time because I honestly haven't had a reason to be...

I know a lot of people drop off and do not check in because these forums are of no real use to them once they move on with their lives, but I just want to chime in as someone a year out from surgery.

Dr. Kelly keeps in regular contact with me to see how my health is, and to say my results with him have surpassed expectations is an understatement!

I no longer suffer with the emotional ups and downs that I used to have associated with my meals. I am completely capable of choosing what is healthiest to eat, and eating that (AMAZING! I used to eat a package of oreos for a night time snack routinely). Not only is sugar and crap less enticing, it just does not taste the same. Feeling full is no longer quite the same feeling it was, of feeling "stuffed"- this is a hard concept to grasp until you actually get VSG.

After surgery, I hired a personal trainer and let them know about the surgery. I am now muscular yet curvy, I actually have "abs"- I actually model and have been asked to compete in fitness competitions! A year ago, I was obese!

I write this to let you know, though everyone gets different results for a variety of reasons, a huge part of why I am so happy with my surgery was Dr. Kelly. He was in contact with my regardless of who my coordinator was, when I had concerns he called me immediately, and followed up via e-mail. My surgery was a mere 38 minutes, and though I had lots of gas pain as I recovered, I truly had an amazingly easy recovery.

If you are considering him, or any other surgeon, do your research- but I can tell you, this was by far the best decision I have ever mede with my body. I went in with so much fear, and now if I could tell everyone considering VSG to get it, I would. I will never die of obesity complications like people in my family, I will never have to avoid vacations or places because I'm obese and cannot do certain things, I will never have to worry about the size of seats, or feel guilty because of how much I ate.

Wish I could say the same. I had Vsg with him 8/22/12. Almost 2 months. My experience was very non-personable. He hasn't checked with me even once. I haven't heard from Omar in about a month, and disappointed with the "after" treatment. I was forced to have surgery a day early AND cross the border a day early, for their convenience. I am out over 200 for 2 hotel nights in San Diego. Still no response concerning that either.

I am so sorry to hear that MGM! :( I have only heard positive accounts of how personable he is, how he came to the hotel room with his family to give detailed instructions, how great the experience was from beginning to end like mine...I am sorry to hear that. I hope your health is good though, and the weight is coming off.

Wish I could say the same. I had Vsg with him 8/22/12. Almost 2 months. My experience was very non-personable. He hasn't checked with me even once. I haven't heard from Omar in about a month' date=' and disappointed with the "after" treatment. I was forced to have surgery a day early AND cross the border a day early, for their convenience. I am out over 200 for 2 hotel nights in San Diego. Still no response concerning that either.[/quote']

Hi there...just a quick question/concern... He hasn't checked with you...did you make contact or have questions and they haven't returned your calls?

Thanks for your response!

Hi there...just a quick question/concern... He hasn't checked with you...did you make contact or have questions and they haven't returned your calls?

Thanks for your response!

I haven't had problems and any concerns, I will talk to my pcp next week. There were no instructions by him. I saw him once before surgery, once the day after surgery, then once the day of the leak test. I emailed him my concerns regarding how I was treated while there to his personal email, with no response. Omar is the only one that checks on me from time to time. I am losing very slow. About 10lbs a month, but that's because of my non related health issue.

MGM- 10 lbs a month is great, that is over 2 lbs a week! Keep in mind healthy and long term fat loss is characterized by losing 1-2 lbs a week, so try to look at the advantage- you're losing at a healthy rate, and you're less likely to have loose skin that way.

I've known Dr. Kelly to take a couple days or so to respond to me at most, but at this point nothing I write him is urgent or concerning my immediate health or safety.

I am glad you've had a (seemingly) safe and successful surgery though, I am sorry he was not more personally involved and responsive.

You said you received no after care - you didn't get your go-home packet of info, of medications, etc? No info on diet? It was his wife who went over that info with us.

I got sick at the hotel, 2 days after surgery, and when I called Dr. K and told him, he was there in 15 minutes, taking care of me AT THE HOTEL. He's a busy man for sure but if you have questions, then contact him on FB or just call. Omar gets about 200 emails a day, I try to tell people that if you don't hear back on email then you need to call.

But honestly, what exactly did you expect? Your surgery went great, you're losing weight, and no complications. I'm not sure I understand what has annoyed you?

I had surgery on my sinuses a few years ago. I met the rude doctor once before, he was late the day of surgery, and his office didn't do ANY follow up with me after surgery. It was a far worse experience than I had in Mexico, and it was here in the US!

Siren, I was so glad to read your post! I'm the same way... just over 4 months out and I'm doing really well. I am about 15 lbs from goal! Finally feeling "normal" and loving it.

I went to a party last night and saw people I haven't seen in 15 years - and it was GREAT to be the THIN one for a change!!! And listen to comments from people who remembered the "fat" me. It's a great feeling to be comfortable in your own skin!!!

You said you received no after care - you didn't get your go-home packet of info' date=' of medications, etc? No info on diet? It was his wife who went over that info with us.

I got sick at the hotel, 2 days after surgery, and when I called Dr. K and told him, he was there in 15 minutes, taking care of me AT THE HOTEL. He's a busy man for sure but if you have questions, then contact him on FB or just call. Omar gets about 200 emails a day, I try to tell people that if you don't hear back on email then you need to call.

But honestly, what exactly did you expect? Your surgery went great, you're losing weight, and no complications. I'm not sure I understand what has annoyed you?

I had surgery on my sinuses a few years ago. I met the rude doctor once before, he was late the day of surgery, and his office didn't do ANY follow up with me after surgery. It was a far worse experience than I had in Mexico, and it was here in the US![/quote']

I posted my experience in a topic called "Now a sleever". All I said above was I didn't get the same personable care, was persuaded to have surgery a day earlier, and leave Mexico two days earlier, so out more money than I had. If it wasn't for Omar, me and the lady that had surgery too would have been pretty neglected in a border town! She's not on this forum but I do talk to her and she agrees with me. Our experience was nothing like all the others. No, we weren't given any verbal instructions AT ALL BY DR KELLY OR CECY. After the leak test, when we got in the van, Omar literally gave me and my sleeve sister a plastic grocery bag with our medicine, a Gatorade, some Jello and tea bags, and printed instructions. That was our aftercare. Even doctors in the states have someone that goes over aftercare with you, not just 'here'. I'm glad you had a great experience, I'm lucky I'm good and haven't needed anything. I'm not going to keep sending Dr Kelly emails about my experience. He nor his wife feel the need to respond. I don't regret the surgery, I regret my expectations based on everyone else's personal accounts.

That's amazing, siren. I can't wait to be in your shoes a year out.

Siren, I was so glad to read your post! I'm the same way... just over 4 months out and I'm doing really well. I am about 15 lbs from goal! Finally feeling "normal" and loving it.

I went to a party last night and saw people I haven't seen in 15 years - and it was GREAT to be the THIN one for a change!!! And listen to comments from people who remembered the "fat" me. It's a great feeling to be comfortable in your own skin!!!

That is a great feeling isn't it? :)

I've watched a friend of mine lose too, and she told me she had a moment where she realized she was no longer viewed as a "big girl" anymore, and how liberating that was- to no longer be seen by others and yourself as someone with a weight issue is fantastic. Most importantly, feeling better and watching your health get better is amazing and freeing.

Robbino- you'll be in better and better shoes every month! :) It was a wonderful decision and the road to getting to a healthy weight has been at times a confusing one, but a great one.

Wish I could say the same. I had Vsg with him 8/22/12. Almost 2 months. My experience was very non-personable. He hasn't checked with me even once. I haven't heard from Omar in about a month, and disappointed with the "after" treatment. I was forced to have surgery a day early AND cross the border a day early, for their convenience. I am out over 200 for 2 hotel nights in San Diego. Still no response concerning that either.

Hi there! I might be able to shed some light on why your experience was not the typical experience that people describe. I was sleeved by Dr. Kelly on the 8/17. When I was at the hotel sitting by the pool Dr. Kelly and Omar were discussing how to rearrange his schedule a little and do your surgery early. I don't remember exactly but I believe one of his past sleevers was giving him a chance to film a tv commercial in San Diego so the needed to spend like 4 days there for filming so they were trying to do one surgery a day early (Im assuming that was yours) to make it possible for Dr. Kelly and his wife to be gone for those days. I believe they said it was the only time they could do it. They seemed very concerned about rescheduling the surgery. That might also explain why you didn't get as much attention in Mexico after the surgery. Its does sound like they should've reimbursed you for the hotel fees you incurred as a result of the reschedule. It sucks that they haven't taken care of that. As far as after care Dr. Kelly hasn't personally checked in with me but Omar emails and calls every now and then to see how I am. I consider that the same as Dr. Kelly doing it. Any aftercare questions I had were answered right away if I emailed, called, or texted Omar. I know it may not make you feel better to know that your experience sounds kind of a "wrong place wrong time" issue or that it was more of a fluke in the normal care that people receive, but knowing the "why" behind something may help a little. Hope it does and I hope they do reimburse you. Its nice to meet a new August sleeve sister from Dr. Kelly. Here's to our new skinnier selves :)

Hi there! I might be able to shed some light on why your experience was not the typical experience that people describe. I was sleeved by Dr. Kelly on the 8/17. When I was at the hotel sitting by the pool Dr. Kelly and Omar were discussing how to rearrange his schedule a little and do your surgery early. I don't remember exactly but I believe one of his past sleevers was giving him a chance to film a tv commercial in San Diego so the needed to spend like 4 days there for filming so they were trying to do one surgery a day early (Im assuming that was yours) to make it possible for Dr. Kelly and his wife to be gone for those days. I believe they said it was the only time they could do it. They seemed very concerned about rescheduling the surgery. That might also explain why you didn't get as much attention in Mexico after the surgery. Its does sound like they should've reimbursed you for the hotel fees you incurred as a result of the reschedule. It sucks that they haven't taken care of that. As far as after care Dr. Kelly hasn't personally checked in with me but Omar emails and calls every now and then to see how I am. I consider that the same as Dr. Kelly doing it. Any aftercare questions I had were answered right away if I emailed' date=' called, or texted Omar. I know it may not make you feel better to know that your experience sounds kind of a "wrong place wrong time" issue or that it was more of a fluke in the normal care that people receive, but knowing the "why" behind something may help a little. Hope it does and I hope they do reimburse you. Its nice to meet a new August sleeve sister from Dr. Kelly. Here's to our new skinnier selves :)[/quote']

I knew it was something. I just didn't appreciate the 'kicked out' feeling. Omar does check in and feels bad for me, but I'm just put out that Dr K didn't respond to my email ever! All's good with me, so I'm done venting!