Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Hate How People Label Us Wls Patients

Lol I dont care what they are calling me as long as I am on my way to being sexy and slim:)....haters gon hate regardless

Yes! So my coworker had surgery but was on a different unit and somehow word for back to my old unit.... Violation of HIPPA!! I laugh at the secretary who will be fired! Good! I told my coworker I had it, we need to stick together!!!

Its called ignorance. I use to think it was the lazy way out also. Then I started researching it and learned that it is hard work and a tool to help you reach your health goals. Now I am two days post open and proud of myself for taking the first step to healthy.

Its called ignorance. I use to think it was the lazy way out also. Then I started researching it and learned that it is hard work and a tool to help you reach your health goals. Now I am two days post open and proud of myself for taking the first step to healthy.

Total ignorance also jealousy, I use to be anti Wls I Lu because my insurance didn't cover it, lol but at least I use to admit the reason to it!

Fattitude. The only acceptable form of discrimination in America.

Amanda Rae

you know what.....it's nothing more than ignorance....people that have resorted to wls do so not bc they are lazy...but just the opposite...lazy would be doing nothing....rather...resorting to have wls takes much courage..strength...and fortitude...qualities thtare rarely found. It has been my experience that many who condescend wls patients do so bc they lack the courage to do it themselves.

Furthermore...i have found that just bc 2 people weigh the same does not mean that they both have the same underlying issues thatgot them to that wt and as such..just bc their wt is the same does not mean that they r both appropriate psych candidates for surgery. For instance--thereare many my size who are that size bc they culturally enjoy big meals with family..cooking...and all that goes with the family tradition....i know many who tell me they havent even tried to diet since they were teens and now theyre in their 40s--50s....

in fact... my friend growing up was never overwt--i always was...she has never dieted in her life---i have never not been on a diet....we go back to when we were 15...she would go back and forth bwn being in a bikini to being just over that......i woudl diet like crazy and struggle every day of my life just t maintain......anyway...flash over to now and shes approx 350lbs.....how it happened i really dont know but it seemed overnight---anyway...guess what....shes never once even thought about going on a diet....when i try and gently nudge her to watch what she eats for her healthy she couldn't be bothered...she says that shes going to continue to eat what she wants and the wt will be whatever its meant to be..it surprisingly doesnt see to affect her at all and she never once complains about it and never once in her life has she exercised ...yet i average 1-2 hrs a day of exercise 7 days a week for most of my life....as such......even though i weigh about 120lbs less than her...I am a wls surgery candidate...and in my opinion...she is not. or would she ever even consider wls).

Lastly...I was reading a medical journal recently that said that wls will no longer be called wls inteh s=future and instead it will have a more fitting name of 'metabolic surgery' and it said that many hospitals have already changed their units name to accomodate for the shift in thinking and teh realization of how sugery can drastically help diebetes patients. WHether many realize it or not---wls is mostly about teh hormonal shift (ghrenlin removal/reduction) than anything else....and in teh fiture the article said their will be mediaction that will 'block ghrenlin' production much like insulin is given to control diabetes.

So in conclusion....i stand ny what i originally said...it's nothing ore than ignorance....and its quite sad that it is teh last bastion of acceptable discrimination inyhis country......but you know what....go ahead and let those nurses 'die fat' as they said.....you'll be out shopping for your skinny jeans and too busy to even notice....

xo

you know what.....it's nothing more than ignorance....people that have resorted to wls do so not bc they are lazy...but just the opposite...lazy would be doing nothing....rather...resorting to have wls takes much courage..strength...and fortitude...qualities thtare rarely found. It has been my experience that many who condescend wls patients do so bc they lack the courage to do it themselves.

Furthermore...i have found that just bc 2 people weigh the same does not mean that they both have the same underlying issues thatgot them to that wt and as such..just bc their wt is the same does not mean that they r both appropriate psych candidates for surgery. For instance--thereare many my size who are that size bc they culturally enjoy big meals with family..cooking...and all that goes with the family tradition....i know many who tell me they havent even tried to diet since they were teens and now theyre in their 40s--50s....

in fact... my friend growing up was never overwt--i always was...she has never dieted in her life---i have never not been on a diet....we go back to when we were 15...she would go back and forth bwn being in a bikini to being just over that......i woudl diet like crazy and struggle every day of my life just t maintain......anyway...flash over to now and shes approx 350lbs.....how it happened i really dont know but it seemed overnight---anyway...guess what....shes never once even thought about going on a diet....when i try and gently nudge her to watch what she eats for her healthy she couldn't be bothered...she says that shes going to continue to eat what she wants and the wt will be whatever its meant to be..it surprisingly doesnt see to affect her at all and she never once complains about it and never once in her life has she exercised ...yet i average 1-2 hrs a day of exercise 7 days a week for most of my life....as such......even though i weigh about 120lbs less than her...I am a wls surgery candidate...and in my opinion...she is not. or would she ever even consider wls).

Lastly...I was reading a medical journal recently that said that wls will no longer be called wls inteh s=future and instead it will have a more fitting name of 'metabolic surgery' and it said that many hospitals have already changed their units name to accomodate for the shift in thinking and teh realization of how sugery can drastically help diebetes patients. WHether many realize it or not---wls is mostly about teh hormonal shift (ghrenlin removal/reduction) than anything else....and in teh fiture the article said their will be mediaction that will 'block ghrenlin' production much like insulin is given to control diabetes.

So in conclusion....i stand ny what i originally said...it's nothing ore than ignorance....and its quite sad that it is teh last bastion of acceptable discrimination inyhis country......but you know what....go ahead and let those nurses 'die fat' as they said.....you'll be out shopping for your skinny jeans and too busy to even notice....

xo

Super girl you deserve a standing ovation!

I believe that they pretend to be happy fat and deep down inside wanted the WLS and don't have the courage to do it. People sometimes need to feed their ego in order to continue being happy with the life they have at the end of the day they are still stuck as unhealthy and fat. They won't be the first or the last to take crap about WLS patients but deep down inside they want it for themselves.

Why are some nurse's so ignorant? When I was at the medical center for my EGD before surgery the nurse told "you're going to be so pretty....once you have surgery." I was mortified!

People are entitled to their opinion, regardless of how wrong it may be, unfortunately.

To move this thread positively, when I was in the ICU, one of the nurses came by in the middle of the night and told me how proud he was of me that i had gotten surgery, even though he had just met me. He has the sleeve himself years before and was really positive that i have made the right choice.

I would encourage all of you to share your story if you can- it makes a bigger difference than you think. If out of 20 haters you help one person, it's worth it in the long run.

Health care hardens people. It is a tough industry. Doctors and nurses do joke about their patients. I don't like it, but it happens. I just accept it. It might be a coping mechanism.

Health care hardens people. It is a tough industry. Doctors and nurses do joke about their patients. I don't like it' date=' but it happens. I just accept it. It might be a coping mechanism.[/quote']

You are right we do joke here and there about certain moments and things.., I'm never too mean. I just don't like the putting down others for their choices even if its elective surgery, no ones business! I did tell so far 3 patients of mine who had Wls :) of course we bonded

Health care hardens people. It is a tough industry. Doctors and nurses do joke about their patients. I don't like it' date=' but it happens. I just accept it. It might be a coping mechanism.[/quote']

Police officers and other emergency responders are know for jokes that come across as being in poor taste but use it as a defense/coping mechanism.

Amanda Rae

Stupid is stupid, no matter the profession, but it's sad and disturbing that nurses, of ALL professions, engage in such ignorant and dehumanizing behavior.

I'm very happy to say that, with one notable exception, my nursing and all staff during my hospital stay were professional and caring. (I had one snotty, little b***h the day I checked out, but I got her straight!)

I work in a hospital and we had a new admission. I was assigned to that patient but I overheard the nurses talking crap about patients with WLS and how lazy they are! The big nurses were saying how they rather die fat than get WLS and have complications in the future. Well I felt bad for this poor patient.... She didn't even know what was being said of her' date=' and she's to trust these women with her life? It hurt me as well!!! They don't know I had sleeve done and this jus why I kept it a secret with my coworkers! I went home Feeling rather depressed. How do you all handle these type of peeps?[/quote']

This is the reason I decided to keep my sleeve to myself. Shameful how people judge others!!!

Sent from my iPhone using VST