Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One Year Anniversary

Good morning friends,

I was asked to tell you about my sleeve journey. I am so glad I had it done a year ago. Truly, although, it's not been as easy as I thought, but the complications were not from the sleeve itself. My husband of 40 years was diagnosed with prostate cancer 4 months ago and my mother passed away 3 months ago... both of those terribly emotional events have affected my success. I've lost 70 of the 90 pounds I wanted to lose, although I am now back on my eating program and expect to finish this journey.

Physically I feel wonderful. This last Sat. we climbed all over the USS Iowa (one of the 4 large battleships being restored and preserved in ports around the US) and I wasn't tired, I felt great after spending the day climbing many steep ladders and walking what must have been miles through narrow passageways on that marvelous battleship. I never could have done that prior to the surgery! Not in a million years.

The knee replacement surgery I was contemplating has been put on indefinite hold with the weight loss. That was worth the price of admission alone!

And the nicest compliment was when a close friend, who has been watching me through this last year, has decided to follow my journey, and she is beginning her program with Kaiser in Nov! What a thrilling thought. I don't preach "sleeve" to anyone, but I will talk to folks who ask me about it seriously. I do find it very uncomfortable when casual acquaintances want to know "how did you lose so much weight?" I'm not really comfortable with talking to people who are, I feel, just being nosey! It was an intensely private decision and one I can't speak easily about to just anyone who asks.

But I would reccommend the sleeve to anyone who has struggled with their weight and who is ready to make a life-changing decision.

Thanks & have a great day!

Mary

I am curious as to what your response is to these nosey people. I am hoping that in the near future I will need one!

Congratulations on your success!

Great job on your weight loss! Hope everything is going better with your husband and sorry to hear about your mother.

Thank you for sharing your journey. You sound like a person with incredible strength. Congratulations on your weight loss! I am sure you will reach your goal before you know it!

Thank you all ! I don't wish people luck, for I learned a long time ago that the harder I work the luckier I get. I believe that Providence had a hand in this; when I was ready to make a decision Dr. Owens was introduced into my life at just that time. Coincidence? I doubt it. I wish all of you the very best success as you make this decision, and then re-make it each day of your journey; that you will do the things necessary for your success. Best of success for all of you! Sincerely, Mary

God bless people like you who can share a great story and show us courage even when life throws you a curveball.

Thank you very much, Vonego. It has been difficult. The passing of my mother, a survivor of Pearl Harbor, and the inspiration of my life, has been very difficult. This weekend will be the first Highland Games (Seaside Games, in Ventura, CA) that she's ever missed, since we've been active in our Scottish Clan organization. This is going to be a tough one. My husband's prostate cancer is going to demand an answer to the treatment choices... and I'm not thrilled with any of the choices! But life is what happens to us....

And thank you very much for you kind comments!

Oh I miss Ventura! Used to live there many many years ago! From there to Florida panhandle, now central Arkansas! Lived within view of the Pacific & spent many evenings walking on the pier. Lots of good memories made there!

@marypenny no, thank you for sharing with complete strangers your life journey. And also, I live in port hueneme, ca hahah, :D

Its just about 15-20 mins away from Ventura. :)