Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

There are plenty of studies that show it to be a diuretic. The risk of dehydration during your recovery is higher than it was before due to limited Water intake, so you don't need anything making it harder. However, there have been newer studies showing it is not a diuretic. I have read several and talked this issue over with my wife who is a researcher, and I don't feel either side has debunked the other....only that there is conflicting evidence.

However, for me the reasons to steer clear of caffeine are the same reasons that non sleevers should steer clear of it....it's a highly addictive stimulant. I'm high on life.

I was under the impression that I could never have caffeine again. My dr. told me I could have it a week out. Decaf iced tea is so weak.

caffeine is ok if you can limit it. i'd steer clear of carbonated drinks though. they hurt my stomach and are not good for your sleeve. i very seldom drink caffeine just because i don't want to be addicted again.

Had my first cup of coffee in two weeks. I was nodding off on a 3 hr drive. It tasted great and I don't feel guilty, but I'm going to try to get in some extra liquids today.

Maybe i should quit caffeine in all forms. I think exercise and enough sleep goes a long ways to replacing the need to caffeine. I am not there yet.

Maybe i should quit caffeine in all forms. I think exercise and enough sleep goes a long ways to replacing the need to caffeine. I am not there yet.

Exactly right. If you're nodding off, you need sleep, not caffeine. Not getting enough sleep is as unhealthy as not getting enough Protein.

There is nothing wrong with caffeine in moderation. Just like anything else. If you make it a daily habit, then it becomes a crutch & a detriment to your health.

I personally do occasionally drink green tea which has a small amount of caffeine & once or twice a month when I know I will be driving late I will have a 5hr energy shot, which has a ton of caffeine.

One thing I can say though. Since I abstain from caffeine most of the time, when I do use it, it is so much more effective.

I have a cup of coffee 4 ou of 7 day and. Flat sugarfree red bul when I am doing a longer run.

Do I have to have it?No,sometimes I feel like tea for days on end.I drink about 3 warm drinks a day.

It is all about balance.If it wasnt for the fact that milk has lots of carbs I would never worry about it.

I'm 5 weeks out and started coffee last week. It seems like the caffeine is making me more hungry. Anyone else have that issue?

Caffeine is also an appetite stimulant. Again, all docs have different guidelines. I was told that you don't have to give it up forever, just for awhile until you can get at least 64 oz of Fluid in a day easily. I'm not a big caffeine drinker but I do enjoy a 1/2 cup of hot tea a few times a week, and a low caffeine tea at that. I only started that a week ago though and I am now 7 weeks out tomorrow.

I was told no coffee for 1 month because the caffeine can irritate your stomach. I had my first cup today (4 weeks out) and it was yummy. I had no problems.